Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SCLS!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: SCLS!!! Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 3:29:04 PM   
DOCUP

Kurt: Big E was sunk, Yorktown followed her to the bottom.  I didn't post the counter strike.  It didn't do anything.

25th May

Carriers Gilberts they went East I sent SWest.

Gilberts
Lots of DD on DD action.  I sent my DDs to try and stop his SAGs and soak up some air strikes.  Air strikes come and sink a few DDs they also put 3 TTs into the Victorious (she took 3 during the nite from a sub also),as you can guess she sank.  KB sank some SCs, I used as an ASW force.  We damage a several subs.  His subs were positioned very nicely by the way.  So far we have lost 3 CVs, 1 BB, and 10 DDs for 1 known DD.  I roughed up a few more but don't think they we sink.  Not good for me.   I suck as a commander.

Solomons
I sent several TFs to Rabual.  The first was a DD SAG, they sink a bunch of LBs and mix it up with to SAGs.  The first one the jump onto was a SAG with 2 CLs (I think they were the old training cruisers).  They tore them up probably sinking the CL Kashima and leaving another CL with multiple hit as well as 3 other DDs.  Then they come across a CA SAG, they held their own put a shell into al but one ship leaving a DD on fire.  Only one of those DDs were sunk.  I had a CL SAG come behind it, but it was 1 hex from Rabual.  My CA SAG must of stopped at Starbucks on the way it only made it have way to Rabual.

Morale sucks for the Allied commander.  I know I can come back, if I don't screw the pooch anymore.  I was thinking about asking for another game a modified game but don't know if I should now.  I'm not quitting this game, if you do see me asking for another game.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1261
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 3:49:44 PM   
JocMeister

Hang in there DOCUP! At least you managed to save something. I´m almost exactly a year ahead of you and I lost ALL CVs in late 42/early 43. But what I have now just dwarves anything you can imagine! Its starts as a trickle but before you know it you will a even more potent CV fleet.

Set your sight on a new objective and focus on that. Soon the Essexes and Hellcats are coming!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1262
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 4:06:34 PM   
DOCUP

Bull posted a pic of what the allies get. It made me feel a bit happier.  I will mass my own CV deathstar and go looking for trouble.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1263
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 5:26:43 PM   
DOCUP

So am I nuts for considering a new modded game?  My thoughts are that me and an oppoent select a mod and rehash treaties build ships deploy troops etc as if we were the commanders during the 30s-40s and fight the Pacific our way.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1264
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 5:27:49 PM   
JocMeister

Wouldn´t that be kind of a massive undertaking?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1265
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 5:33:20 PM   
DOCUP

Depends on how big we went. I think most of it can be taken from other mods.  I'm sure that it would take time to hash out agreements and mod it.  But it sounds like fun to me.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1266
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 5:33:22 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

So am I nuts for considering a new modded game?  My thoughts are that me and an oppoent select a mod and rehash treaties build ships deploy troops etc as if we were the commanders during the 30s-40s and fight the Pacific our way.

Stick this one out and go with renewed energy toward the objectives you can reach without CVs. There are quite a few that will still make trouble for the IJ. The pain now will make the progress in 44 that much more sweet.

Starting a new game always gets the juices flowing, and I wish I could, but two is all I can handle, and maybe more sometimes. Don't jump into anything just because you want a fresh start. Make sure you really have the time. Or just play another small scenario to have some fun while waiting for the Essex class and all of the other toys.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1267
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 5:37:53 PM   
DOCUP

Obvert:  I'm starting to get my energy back from the last big battle.  I am looking forward to paying Koniu back.  I'm not wanting a fresh start.  I have been thinking of a 2nd game for awhile now.  With the summer coming I should have more free time.  I have the time now to do a slow paced game.  Since I've learned how to fiddle with the editor and played a PBEM, I want to do my own type of game.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1268
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/28/2013 7:27:34 PM   
zuluhour

Keep on him. It's new years eve '41-'42 for me now. The Japs just landed at Noumea and Suva. The Dec 7th strikes were very potent.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1269
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/29/2013 2:51:38 AM   
DOCUP

26 May

Carriers unknown

Rabual
Naval action.  We had a serise of gun battles at Rabual.  Outcome was Japs lost a CA atleast 2 DDs maybe more, the other CA will require some yard time though.  We lose 2 DDs and have several DDs, 2 CLs, and a CA that will need yard time.  My cruisers around Rabual did get Koniu to withdraw most of his planes.  I will remember this for future ops.

We do some city bombing at Bolea and the other B base.  We get a few hits on each the past 2 days.

Plans
Burma will be my major axis of advance.  Koniu has a lot here. But that just means more troops I get to kill.  New Guunea will also be a way to advance.  Then again the Kurlies look good also.  By Jan 44 I will have 4 more CVs, 7 CVLs and a bunch of CVEs.  If I don't lose anymore CVs I should have 6 CVs total, 7 CVLs and a bunch of CVEs.  I should be able to make some moves then and be able to stand toe to toe with the KB.

Anyone got any suggestions.  I am open.  Even though I got my arse handed to me I enjoy this game. 

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1270
RE: SCLS!!! - 4/29/2013 8:37:23 AM   
JocMeister

Thats the spirit!

I´m not sure you should go looking for a fight with with the KB in January. Remember that by then he has probably ALL the CVs Japan produce ready for action. I did a pretty good count on the total Jap CV power somewhere in my AAR.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3121206&mpage=28&key= Look at post #818 (no looksie Erik! )
I did account for Eriks loss of 3 CVs and 3 CVEs so you will have to adjust the numbers a bit for your game.

For the allied side look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3121206&mpage=34&key= Post #1017 That is in May -44 with all inital CVs lost including a bunch of CVEs.

The positive thing for you is that even if you only get a draw you have won. Each Jap CV is irreplaceable while yours arn´t!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1271
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/1/2013 9:30:48 AM   
DOCUP

Joc: Not looking to tak on the KB at that time, but I should be able to restart operations.  Are you playing a completely stock game no betas.  I am playing 20 something beta and don't have a problem with it.

27th May

Carries unknown

Nothing to tell about this turn.  No combat what so ever.

So takeing stock after the loss.  I am short on TT pilots.  I have a navy fighter sqd that has all its planes and pilots but can't take replacements.  I guess the game is considering it a lost unit since its carrier was sunk.

I have been looking around and saw that Koniu has lost 50 DDs and around 11 or so cruisers.  This has to hurt some.  I might not be able to sink his CVs but if I can sink his DDs he will be in trouble.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1272
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/1/2013 10:03:36 PM   
DOCUP

28th May

Carriers unknown

Bolea
We bomb its oil.  Jap fighters intercept and shoot down 9 Mitchell IIs.

Solomons
2 of our DDs sink a bunch of LBs.

We also sink a PB off of Eniwetok.

Does anyone know how much you can build up a 0/0 (AF/Port base)?  I know I can atleast go to 1/1. Can it go any higher?

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 5/1/2013 10:33:02 PM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1273
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/2/2013 5:50:29 AM   
JocMeister

3/3 I believe!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1274
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/2/2013 6:29:43 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

3/3 I believe!

Yes, but oh so slooooooooooooooowly!

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1275
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/2/2013 6:57:56 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

3/3 I believe!

Yes, but oh so slooooooooooooooowly!

Well, that depends...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1276
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/4/2013 1:35:44 PM   
DOCUP

Joc: That many engineers can build Rome in a day.

30th May

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed.  Japs attack a base above Lanchow.  They don't do much damage.

Burma
We bombard Ramree Island and do nothing but cut some trees down.  Several of my units break into the open hex across the river from Magwee.  Koniu bombs them causing over 500 KIAs.  We City bomb Bankok and lose 8 4E bombers for 1 Tojo.

I can't remember anything else happening.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1277
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/6/2013 1:03:07 PM   
DOCUP

31st May

Carriers unknown

China
We try and attack a tank unit above Lanchow.  Tojos and Ocars interctpt our B25Ds.  We lose 4 while Koniu loses 8 from A2A and ops.

Burma
Lots of sweeps by the Japs over my units in the open, but no bombings.

That all I can think of at the moment.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1278
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/7/2013 12:28:14 AM   
zuluhour

Keep your eye on any opportunity to sandwich Yamamoto's Kido Butai between your carriers (when you are ready) and land based airpower. I like to keep one base with most of the TBs and marine fighter cover as close to the MLR as possible and "lure" the LYBs in, while the DBs launch from the flat tops. There are several effective ways to lure the KB out. Nemo showed me two I never thought of in one of Dan's AARs. I'm not even sure it was the point of the post but it worked in my first go around with Terry. It led to a massive attack on the Kido Butai from two islands as well as the the flat tops, which if you recall, I had few at the time. I only lost Essex. Some times when all is in the sh*tter, I find a cup of Joe with my maps on a Sunday morning can lead to a seed of an idea, most nefarious in nature.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 5/7/2013 12:30:31 AM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1279
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/8/2013 6:48:18 AM   
DOCUP

1 June

Carriers unknown

China
Jap armored forces attack Lanchow and Sining.  Chinese hold in both attacks.

Burma
Japs try and bomb my units moving around Magwee.

Not much going on right now.  Yes I know its a boring AAR.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1280
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/11/2013 2:16:20 AM   
DOCUP

2-3rd June

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed.  Japs attack Lanchow and Sining with nothing to show for it.

Burma
Japs bomb some units in the open again.  He hits a tank unit on the 2nd disabling a few tanks.  The next day he hits another stack.  Opps I slipped in som AA units.  He loses 35 Helens with a bunch more damaged.  They won't be bombing me for a few days.  It looks like hes evacing Mandalay and Magwe.  I saw 2 units yesterday and only one their today. He's starting to move his fighters around to different bases now. As soon as my units are in place I am going to cross the river between Mandalay and Magwee.

Rabual
Arognaut lays a mine field here and puts to live fish into the Mutsu.  She is reported to have heavy damage.  I am vectoring subs incase he decides to send her away.

Funfati
Love that name.  I saw a small SAG coming towards this island on the 2nd.  I tried to get my ships out but 2 xAKs go caught and were sank.  2 DDs were sent to engage them but didn't, the Jap SAG was also able to get out of range of my DBs and a CL SAG positioned to the north.  Oh well.  Still happy about the Mutsu and all the Helens.

Moving assests around so I can start my next offensives.  Goodenough Island look like a good place.  Still some time away but I am not going to back down.  Saratoga will make Pearl next turn.  She will get priority when she gets their.  She only has 1 major point of damage and about 40 total damage to everything.  Lexington is still a ways away from the WC with alot of major damage to be repaired.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1281
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/11/2013 2:52:02 AM   
DOCUP

Burma

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1282
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/11/2013 6:30:25 AM   
JocMeister

Go get him! Its a big mistake of him to try and defend the clear terrain in central Burma! Be wary of Jungle/Rough hexes (3x DEF). Its hard enough to dislodge the Jap in x2 terrain.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1283
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/12/2013 3:58:50 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks Joc

4-5th June

Carriers unknown

China
We lose 11 B25s trying to bomb a tank rgt.  Japs capture Lanchow. I am thinking about sending some Chinese troops into Indochina. What do you guys think?

Burma
Koniu loses more Helens trying to bomb one of my stacks.  I am now moving across the river between Mandalay and Magwe.  I will try and outflank him when we get tot he rough terrain.

Solomons
Koniu is clearing my mines.  No sign of Mutsu.  I am moving all my subs that can carry MK12 back to port for mine laying ops.

Saratoga reaches PH and has 49 days before she can leave the harbour.

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 5/12/2013 4:00:55 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1284
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/12/2013 5:16:54 PM   
zuluhour

ps. nice job with graphics.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1285
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/12/2013 5:18:18 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks Kurt.  But I saw Joc do this and I copied him.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1286
RE: SCLS!!! - 5/14/2013 4:36:12 AM   
DOCUP

6th June

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed.

Burma
Troops moving to cross the river.  I am assuming that Koniu is going to withdraw to the jungle hexs.  I don't want to fight him here so I am looking for options.  But for right now.  I will move on and see what he does.  I have a few plans in my head.

Solomons
Georges sweep and find nothing at a dot base.  Koniu is looking for leaky CAP.  B25s sink 2 xAKLs off Munda.

We both ding a sub.  But I hit harder with 2 penetrating hits. I am going to be a little more aggressive with my subs.  I am going hunting for his tankers.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1287
Shot in the dark! - 5/14/2013 11:04:58 PM   
DOCUP

7th June

Carriers unknown

China
Bombed. Georges sweep Chungking, they find Lancers and Vanguards.  2 Georges are shot down with 4 more op losses, while 4 Vans and 3 Lancers are lost on our side.  Not bad.

Burma
Japs are pulling back from Akyab area, they are on the yellow road next to Ramree Island.  We bombarded last unit left, it was an SNLF.  Tomorrow we do a deliberate attack.  It does have a movement arrow so it may move out before we can attack.

Timor area
Lomblem had a port sign show last turn, so I decided to bomb it this turn.  Shot in the dark hit the bullseye.  Yamashiro is hit by 15 500 pound bombs, last seen with heavy fires. I know atleast one of her main guns was destroyed.  We also hit CAs Mikuma, Kako, Suzuya with 1 500 pound bomb each.  I ordered a night attack (not holding my breath on this one 27% moonlight).  Sweeps will happen by P 38s and B 24s will follow on during the daytime.

Bismark area
I have a BB SAG moving towards Turk.  I have a sub in the same hex as the TF with no DL.  I have some hope it will shoot at something.  I am also moving subs to its assumed path.  Intel shows the Mutsu sunk but I don't believe it.  Is she really only worth 222 points?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1288
RE: Shot in the dark! - 5/15/2013 11:10:41 PM   
DOCUP

8th June 43

Carriers unknown

China
I forgot to stop a Chinese unit from moving north to Kungchang.  They were attacked by Japs today.  They held their own.  I am withdrawing them now.

Burma
Looks like Koniu is pulling all his units out of the plains area.  He is still keeping his troops at Lashio and Bhamo.  I think this is a bad move, I'll just isolate them off the trail and let them rot in the jungle.  I am ordering units to cross the river.  We hit the LI at Rangoon for a few points.

We had 2 ASW actions this turn both with several CLs in the Jap TFs.  One was off Victoria Point and the other was in the Straight of Macca.  I don't know which way these TFs were heading.  I should find out about the Victoria Point the next turn.  Hell they could be the same TF.

Quiet else where.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1289
RE: Shot in the dark! - 5/16/2013 6:35:59 PM   
JocMeister

How is the supply in Burma? Have you built up the Indian bases on the border to max?

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: SCLS!!! Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI