Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WAW info

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WAW info Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WAW info - 8/31/2011 11:27:37 AM   
Keunert

we just started a waw (at:g version) pbem and i must say i have no clue how to play this scenario well. is there any documentation that i've missed? how is production and research handled? what are wise strategies for the different factions?

scenario looks great. any help appreciated.

Keunert
Post #: 1
RE: WAW info - 8/31/2011 1:54:14 PM   
82ndtrooper

here you go mate , a link to the scenario wiki

http://www.vrdesigns.nl/atwiki/doku.php?id=waw:world_at_war_rules

Welcome to one of the most popular and addicting scenarios in ATG, it is like a brand new game and in my opinion is the showcase of whats possible in ATG.

The wiki has a basic walk through from the German side, but its the kind of scenario that will take you a couple times of playing it to get a feel for it and then you will play someone good at it and realize you have a lot more to learn.

There is no set strategy for each side, as you play it you will see what others do and develop your own strategy. The possibilities are limitless.

It is my favorite scenario and every time I play it I am amazed at what Tom has created.

< Message edited by 82ndtrooper -- 8/31/2011 2:26:21 PM >

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 2
RE: WAW info - 8/31/2011 2:51:11 PM   
Josh

Speaking of Tom.... where is he hanging out? Haven't seen him for a while.

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 3
RE: WAW info - 8/31/2011 4:57:41 PM   
Keunert

that's exactly what i needed, thank you 82nd!

in other words you tell me that i need the rest of my life to master this scenario?

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: WAW info - 9/2/2011 8:31:31 AM   
Keunert

I've read the wiki and the walkthrough and already realize some of the mistakes i made. some questions for the experienced players:

1. does it make sense to wake italy early? is it possible to improve that way it's economy?
2. what is the best research strategy for germany early on? i did focus on production improvements. how about pre cursor cuts? what's your way to do it?
3. does it make sense to build factories in germany to ease fuel situation?
4. is it possible in a joint effort for the german and japanese to knock the soviets out of the war early?

any hint is apreciated.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 5
RE: WAW info - 9/5/2011 2:13:32 AM   
82ndtrooper

1. yes wake it as soon as you can but when you do be sure and give it a supply center right away. If you take france Italy will wake up on its own. So just take France really fast.
2. Thats something you will need to practice with but I get my Economy up to at least 100% before I do anything else. But some good research is "better training" "Amphibious Operations" and Euro coalition (so when you wake up the balkans they will fight at 100%.)

3. YES     factories = GOOD.
4. yes it is possible, but not easy. And Germany has to buy the No Italy surrender cards and they have to spend PP to keep the west out of the war and Japan has to hold off on attacking the USA.

cheers
82nd

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 6
RE: WAW info - 9/6/2011 8:53:24 PM   
Keunert

i've discovered the british fleet! i made a huge air raid! and now! i have to do without a Luftwaffe. i used fighter 2's level- and divebombers. there were some 8 bb 3 cruisers 1 carrier and 10 destroyers. is this too huge? isn't the plane the natural killer of all things swimming? i think this move alone hurts me more than all my mistakes before.

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 7
RE: WAW info - 9/6/2011 9:46:41 PM   
british exil

The plane is the natural killer of all things swimming except the cruiser. The cruiser is a floating AA platform.
As you most probably found out.

You might of tried attacking in 2 or more waves, cutting down their AP.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 8
RE: WAW info - 9/7/2011 10:13:30 AM   
Keunert

so what is best done if the ennemy fleet gets into sight?
not mind it? burn their ap with single plane suicide attacks?
he also had some naval planes giving air cover?

my naval fleet was some subs, and the few ships the german navy gets in this scenario.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 9
RE: WAW info - 9/7/2011 3:04:50 PM   
Josh

Mat is right, the Cruiser is *the* aeroplane killer. Personally I build Cruisers first to ensure I have airdefense up, then the BB's follow.
Haven't played this WAW version for a while, so not sure on this, but the shipkiller might be the Torpedo bomber?
Playing Germany I would forget about contesting Englands sea supremacy, maybe with Bombers, but not with ships. Hmm, maybe if you have already build everything you want, then maybe focus on Uboats and other ships.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 10
RE: WAW info - 9/7/2011 6:00:30 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

i've discovered the british fleet! i made a huge air raid! and now! i have to do without a Luftwaffe. i used fighter 2's level- and divebombers. there were some 8 bb 3 cruisers 1 carrier and 10 destroyers. is this too huge? isn't the plane the natural killer of all things swimming? i think this move alone hurts me more than all my mistakes before.

Hi,

I have played four pbems as Axis against Howard and lost every time - made it no longer than end of 42 til I gave up. When he starts counter offensives at all fronts at that time it was obvious that I could do nothing else than retreta and surrender around a year later.

Now I play first time as Allies and Howard is in a good position at the end of 1940. So take this as a comment of a player with some experence, who has still a lot (!) to learn - believe me, I know what 82ndTrooper had in mind when he wrote you will have to learn even when you think you might be able to manage the game against a human player.

Naval fighters II have 75 attack points against ships, while fighters II and dive bombers II have only 15 ap. Same with defence points. Better use your dive bombers against tanks, but not against ships. If you have not enough naval fighters or ships to attack the British navy, try to avoid any battle. They are very strong. Only Italien navy might be able to seek battle, but only after they got some more ships or operate close to land and get support by naval air. Fighters might only be helpful to do recon flight over an enemy fleet to look for combat with naval air of carriers.

As factories are the key Howard tried every time to bomb my factories. So I had to build up a strong air cover. At turn 20 (April 41) we had both around six aircraft factories, had around 400 fighters and had already lost some 200 fighters in air battles. Sometime I think it is a bit enoying to build so much fighters and have limited resources for a large army. But without a fighter production of 30 or 40 planes each turn the opponent would get air superiority. Flak is helpful especially when placed at factories, but not sufficiant. It reduces to damage effect of the bombers, but thats it.

Keep in mind that you need pilots and engines to build fighters. Tank factories might be helpful to produce engines not only for vehicles but as well for production of planes. So build more tank factories than you would estimate to be necessary for vehicles production only.

Keep an eye on oil. Oil runs short if you do a lot of unnecessary flights. And dont transfer planes by strategic transfer. There is a bug in the game, that causes a huge amount of oil consuption in case you transfer strategically. Deploy the unit and let it move by own power.

At least: If Howard gives you some advice different from mine, follow his advice. He is beating me again and again.

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 9/7/2011 6:14:04 PM >

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 11
RE: WAW info - 9/7/2011 7:51:44 PM   
Keunert

thank you all

on the ship thing: he not only had fighter cover, he also had destroyers. would it be possible to attack the fleet with weak sub units to kill the ap's of his cruisers and once they cannot react bomb the fleet (if there are enough naval bombers at hand)?

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 12
RE: WAW info - 9/7/2011 8:25:12 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

thank you all

on the ship thing: he not only had fighter cover, he also had destroyers. would it be possible to attack the fleet with weak sub units to kill the ap's of his cruisers and once they cannot react bomb the fleet (if there are enough naval bombers at hand)?

No. Like the cruisers provide air defence for the other ships in the group the destroyers will provide anti sub ability or the group. A combat is a number of attacks and counterattacks. While subs launch the first attack against all ships, the destroyers do counterattack in next combat phase, then next attack of subs follows and so on.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WAW info Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI