Heavy casualities while opposing force stays unharmed

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Brausepaul

Heavy casualities while opposing force stays unharmed

Post by Brausepaul »

Hi,

I just play the Velikie Luki '42 tutorial game with the latest beta. I encountered something strange. When attacking the German reserve (8th Panzer) my attacking force (one tank, two rifle divisions) took heavy casualties while the defenders toll was: nill. Nada. Granted, weather was really bad, but I can't think of a real life engagement at that size where the defenders come out of this absolutely unharmed. Any idea what happened?
Helpless

RE: Heavy casualities while opposing force stays unharmed

Post by Helpless »

Usually you do some small damage in such cases - a series of single squads and they get rounded to 0 because in the report you divide damaged elements by 2.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

1) Does that mean that I can double the number of damaged elements to get the real number?

2) Regarding my original concern: wouldn't that still be way of? My losses were in the thousands, even when doubling something close to zero their losses must have been less than 100 hundred poor sods.
Hagleboz

Post by Hagleboz »

Whether the Russians lost 0 or 100 or 1000 men does it really matter?  Even in terms of a small scenario the difference would mean absolutely 0 over the course of the game.  Sometime people, myself included, fret about the micro details when these outlying situations really amount to nothing over the long term.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Well, the game presents numbers to read them and the numbers I saw were suspicious to say the least. The specific losses of the battle in question were most probably irrelevant, but how do do figure if your assault is successful or not?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

1) Does that mean that I can double the number of damaged elements to get the real number?

Roughly yes.
2) Regarding my original concern: wouldn't that still be way of? My losses were in the thousands, even when doubling something close to zero their losses must have been less than 100 hundred poor sods.

Devil is in details. I can't say anything without more information besides what was said - yes it can happen sometimes and there are reasons for that. If you able to replicate it and think that it happens without a reason, please post a save on tech forum. Thanks.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”