Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Conversion confusion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Conversion confusion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 5:34:37 AM   
Gunner98

Hello all

Starting a new Grand Campaign HI as Allies against a Very Hard AI. Looking for advice on conversion of AKs. There are dozens of AKs able to convert early in the game to AG, AKE or even AEs. In my last GC which got to mid 43 when I had to put it away for a while and just doesn’t have the same appeal to re-start after an 8 month interlude, I converted everything I could find but ended up with stacks of AGs and AKEs hanging around. I am a firm believer in converting as many AEs as I can get hold of, but AGs and AKEs start to pile up and I feel they are too valuable to use as transports - maybe I'm wrong there. Looking for advice from others much more knowledgeable in the game than I am:

Questions:

1) Which ship classes do you convert to AG?
2) Same for AKE?
3) Is it better to convert AGs early or do just enough to put one or two in every small port to aid in unloading, and then convert when needed later on?
4) AKEs are limited usefulness but very handy at times, how do you use them best so they are in the right place at the right time?
5) Should I use AGs as transports or save them for their proper role?
6) Are there any tricks or useful strategies to using these ships?
7) There seems to be a shortage of AR, AD, AGP etc. conversions - am I missing a trick or is there some strategy to get more of these babies out there?

Thank you in advance guys - appreciate the help. The 'Load Tenders on this List' feature in the Beta is fantastic BTW, thanks for that one!

Bart
Post #: 1
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 6:33:19 AM   
jmalter

well my exp is limited, but an upgradeable ship is more valuable, so it should be assigned to a lower-risk convoy mission if possible.

starting a GC, i'd say grab those AR & AD conversions quick as you can. & don't ignore the old DDs that can upgrade to APDs.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 2
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 6:41:38 AM   
Gunner98

Thanks

I was also wondering about the 4-stackers which can convert to a bunch of things: Question is do you convert to APD immediately or wait until early 42 (Feb I think) t convert them to DE(LRs) with a massive '8' ASW vs the '6' ASW of the APDs. Also considering the versatility of Patrol AC in mid game, I am always tempted to build a few extra AVDs but then you lose the ASW altogether.

Thoughts?

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 3
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 9:15:43 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Thanks

I was also wondering about the 4-stackers which can convert to a bunch of things: Question is do you convert to APD immediately or wait until early 42 (Feb I think) t convert them to DE(LRs) with a massive '8' ASW vs the '6' ASW of the APDs. Also considering the versatility of Patrol AC in mid game, I am always tempted to build a few extra AVDs but then you lose the ASW altogether.

Thoughts?

Converting to ASW is not really useful as the US ASW is poor early war and a gain of 2 does not do much. You will get lots of SC that do a good job of keep the Japanese subs at arms length but rarely killing them. I convert to APD, nuch more useful.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 2:59:19 PM   
dr.hal

I agree with Chris, the APD's 6 ASW in the early months of the war is far more valuable and is available almost from the start.... I don't think you can go DE until April or may '42 if I recall correctly.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 5
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/23/2011 4:24:28 PM   
Alfred

There are a few different factors which are being conflated here.

1. Combat Mobility
2. Combat Capacity
3. Infrastructure Investment

Each conversion option addresses one or more of these issues. The correct choice ultimately depends on the player's overall game strategy for there is always a trade off involved and a consequent opportunity cost. For example, take the conversion options of the merchantmen. The most fundamental choice to be made, and one not mentioned by the OP, is whether to convert some merchantmen to troopships. If the overall strategy is to avoid island hopping, instead concentrating on continental land offensives, then the conversions to troopships should be avoided. If extensive SLOCs need to be maintained and the tanker fleet has taken severe losses and merchantment have been pressed into the role of transporting fuel, converting merchantmen who possess liquid fuel carrying capacity to ships with an overall smaller fuel capacity would be a retrograde step.

As to conversion to tenders two significant questions to be addressed are (a) is there a pressing need why the Allied player cannot wait for his additional tenders which are in the reinforcement pipeline, and (b) why is combat going to occur away from built up land infrastructure?

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/25/2011 6:22:12 PM   
Gunner98

Thanks for the comments:

I am convinced on the conversion to APDs, handy little buggers and the extra ASW is not worth the wait

Also did not mention AKVs which I convert as soon as I can, like AEs

The xAPs I tend to leave until a bit later in the game when the plan firms up a bit. For me, a semi-historical Island hopping plan is the norm but I find the xAPs too slow for the main assault and leave them to move in the support troops (Engrs and bases) later. Need to work on getting the right balance

Perhaps I don't fully understand the use of the AGs and AKEs: I think:

AG: assists unloading in smaller ports and works as a 'general duty' tender for small ships - is there something a little more specific than the Appendix in the manual? I.E how much does it help?

AKE: works as an AE only not able to do underway replenishment, must be at a port of some type

Since there are no AGs in the reinforcement stream and there are never enough AEs, I see some good value in the conversions but just don't know how many to convert - is there a guideline out there somewhere (i.e. 1 x AG assists unloading by XXX.., or X number of AKEs will re-ammo X number of guns or XX size?)

In the past I have tried to put an AG into every small port that I have and hope it works out, I also through the AKEs around in a big bunch following the main effort. I think there is probably a much better way of planning these things, just don't know where to start.

Thanks

Bart

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Conversion confusion - 8/25/2011 9:36:07 PM   
dr.hal

AKEs and lots of naval support are a good combination....

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Conversion confusion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI