Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of video-tutorials for Harpoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of video-tutorials for Harpoon Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of video-... - 8/22/2011 7:46:33 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Harpoon for Dummies

In response to ongoing pleas for player assistance, a Harpoon for Dummies channel has opened on YouTube to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. These series of video tutorials will continue to be written as needed and as requested. Many thanks to Ian Bowes (a.k.a. Spelk), amongst others, for speaking up and specifically requesting such videos be made and for the kind assistance he provided in reviewing them.

Presently, videos are available to demonstrate:

1) Installation procedures for the PlayersDB and scenarios
2) Basic game functions through a comprehensive tutorial for H3
3) Thorough use of the scenario editor for H3
4) Thorough use of the scenario editor for ANW
5) A complete sample scenario session

Folks who have never played a Harpoon scenario can watch the complete Sierra Strike: The 1st Team scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/92B10E53A32BC1B6/0/MqDFDZZ0r-k

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 1
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 8/23/2011 1:40:26 AM   
CapitanPiluso

Excellent work, thanks a lot !!

One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)

(in reply to Vincenzo Beretta)
Post #: 2
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 8/23/2011 6:00:05 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Harpoon for Dummies

In response to ongoing pleas for player assistance, a tutorial video for the Harpoon Classic Commanders' Edition has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

Folks who have never played a Harpoon scenario can watch the complete Alpha Strike: Dragon's Jaw bridge scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/AA752F9D65440DD3/0/CHDrlQRWCgQ

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to CapitanPiluso)
Post #: 3
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 8/24/2011 5:35:22 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

A brief follow up to announce that we published a video about the FAQ about Harpoon: the main differences between the two lines (Harpoon Classic and H3/ANW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXyEd6MxgU

I understand how, now that the games come in a single package, it it a little bit late to make such a video. However we hope it helps both those interested in buying the Ultimate Edition and those who want to decide which game tackle first.

Have fun

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 4
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 9/4/2011 10:51:10 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

In direct response to a user request, another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete Ambuscade for the Illustrious scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-YBqVY7L4g&list=PL624BD18E6EAD388D&feature=plpp

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 5
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 9/22/2011 10:51:56 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Harpoon for Dummies

In response to ongoing pleas for player assistance, additional videos for the Harpoon3 Tutorial have been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

Eight additional Lessons have been added to H3 Tutorial to show the basic procedure for the creation and basic use of Missions in the game.

Lesson 21 Missions Overview
Lesson 22 Transit Missions
Lesson 23 Ferry Mission                                                                                                                  
Lesson 24 Air Intercept Mission                                                                                                                  
Lesson 25 Strike Missions                                                                                                                   
Lesson 26 Plotted Strike Missions                                                                                                                      
Lesson 27 Area Missions                                                                                                                  
Lesson 28 Reconnaissance Missions

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F87F7C1369BCF8A5/0/M70t0oCavlw

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 6
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 9/22/2011 11:39:31 AM   
MartinB

Well done, thank you, always lots to learn when you see the pros do it.

Post #: 7
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/5/2011 7:49:09 AM   
Harpooner

In direct response to yet another user request,

Quote:
ORIGINAL: coldstayr

Could you post a scenario play-through where you use the "missions" feature of the game? I noticed that you haven't used that feature in? any of your scenario tutorials yet (except for the tutorial of course). Thanks.

another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete Guardian scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2MNV9nk-_4

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 8
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/5/2011 1:03:26 PM   
MartinB

You guys have a high output, thank you! I will head over and check the newest oeuvre.
Regards,

Martin

(in reply to Harpooner)
Post #: 9
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/5/2011 3:20:12 PM   
MartinB

Thank you, a good lesson as a reminder and refresher of how AI missions work. And also to show how they can fail; as you mentioned in the AAR: complex tasks require more then AI only. Of course the next request has to be that some of you pros running the Guardian by hand and show us how it is done.

You have asked me on youtube under my youtube handle to post my own AAR, but to be honest I do not feel halfway ready to produce anything of substance that does not only show fellow-gamers how to fail.

Bests,

Martin

< Message edited by MartinB -- 10/5/2011 3:33:03 PM >

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 10
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/8/2011 7:54:54 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinB

Of course the next request has to be that some of you pros running the Guardian by hand and show us how it is done.

another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete Guardian [under Human Intelligence] scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hKxOhU4XHE

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinB

You have asked me on youtube under my youtube handle to post my own AAR, but to be honest I do not feel halfway ready to produce anything of substance that does not only show fellow-gamers how to fail.

Sorry, there is no way to know which username/handle is yours because HarPlonkHQ receives a lot of mail and always encourages EVERYONE to post AARs. You really should not be so self-conscious as there is no right/wrong way to play a scen or write an AAR. Every AAR helps designers write better scenarios and allows other players to make suggestions for improving your tactical techniques. Please feel free to make future requests for new videos in the Comments section.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 11
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/9/2011 9:47:11 AM   
Quijote

Thank for your Work
Iám an old newbie on Harpoon and your videos are very interesting for me, for them I have cecovered the interest in this great game.
Regards

Post #: 12
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/9/2011 10:37:19 PM   
MartinB

[Copied from my entry on youtube channel]
Excellent, that is so helpfull to understand how things work. Thank you.
It might only be only me but I recon sound is a little out of sync starting around minute 12. Not really a problem, though.

(in reply to Quijote)
Post #: 13
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 10/11/2011 7:41:55 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quijote

Thank for your Work
Iám an old newbie on Harpoon and your videos are very interesting for me, for them I have cecovered the interest in this great game.
Regards

Glad that the videos generated your interest as intended. Go ahead and post your questions and feedback to the comments page

< Message edited by Vincenzo Beretta -- 10/11/2011 7:42:24 AM >

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to Quijote)
Post #: 14
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 11/1/2011 7:08:30 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Another video for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete Sonar Basics scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F87F7C1369BCF8A5/18/8ZZN2TMZ5ck

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 15
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 11/6/2011 12:51:42 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: GorduzBackstabber

Question about the AI: How come the are so generous with their emitting radar? This becomes especially clear in the dawn patrol scenario where it seems almost to easy(note seems, im not saying it is..). If they have link you would expect only one of the contacts to radiate and just link the information over to the others.

You can watch the complete Dawn Patrol (USSR) [MP] scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F11C2550A25370AA/4/eXxzkzlvhaA

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 16
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 11/16/2011 8:18:50 AM   
MartinB

In further response to a question posed by GorduzBackstabber, a new video After-Action Report for Dawn Patrol (NATO) [MP] between HermanH and MartinB has been added to show how a human player might approach EmCon in the same tactical situation from the other side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5U8FZoJA0

Post #: 17
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 11/17/2011 4:14:41 AM   
pilotsk76c

In further response to GorduzBackstabber,

quote:

"I like the MP battles :)

I actually served on a Hauk-class Missile boat"

another video After-Action Report for Dawn Patrol round II (USSR) [MP] between HermanH and MartinB has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel. This time, MartinB and HermanH have switched sides and both made video recordings of the battle. Viewers can watch both sides of the same battle and see what the respective commanders were thinking at the same point in time during the action. Hope to see Martin's matching video soon. Normally, we would just use ANW's VCR function. Unfortunately, it currently results in a Crash to Desktop.

You can watch the complete Dawn Patrol round II (USSR) [MP] scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/7E951380A4C68ACF/3/N9m0-BjpI7M

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 18
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 11/18/2011 5:51:22 PM   
MartinB

In further response to GorduzBackstabber,

quote:

"I like the MP battles

I actually served on a Hauk-class Missile boat"

another video After-Action Report for Dawn Patrol round II (USSR) [MP] between MartinB and HermanH has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel. MartinB and HermanH have switched sides and both made video recordings of the battle. Viewers can watch both sides of the same battle and see what the respective commanders were thinking at the same point in time during the action. This is MartinB's matching video from the opposing NATO side viewpoint.

You can watch the complete Dawn Patrol round II (USSR) [MP] scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/7E951380A4C68ACF/4/vaUlV2Bwyvo

(in reply to pilotsk76c)
Post #: 19
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/2/2011 9:14:15 AM   
dcartman

Another video for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete Incoming Mail scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F11C2550A25370AA/14/Xv_yIG9_2Q4

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 20
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/3/2011 4:17:41 PM   
Dale H

These video examples are very helpful. Thanks a lot guys. Looks like a lot of hard work.

(in reply to dcartman)
Post #: 21
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/3/2011 8:46:23 PM   
MartinB

Also they are fun to make, it helps me to think about my decisions better in upfront. This is not some anonymous solitaire play that you can dump if you screwed up, its against another human and it will be recorded for others to see. Believe me, if you consider yourself quite raw in playing Harpoon this is a challenge. But challenges help you to grow.
Thanks for feedback!

Martin

(in reply to Dale H)
Post #: 22
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/6/2011 3:58:03 PM   
mbar

Thank you! Matrix, please pin this thread.

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 23
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/12/2011 10:40:16 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Glad you found our videos helpful, mbar.

You can watch the complete Caribbean Clash scenario run from beginning to end:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/2D052791527D5CBE/0/u6QiAi9LR-4

This is [probably] the first 6-sided MP game ever to be played in ANW.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 24
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 12/16/2011 7:57:36 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

In direct response to Dale H,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

It was mentioned that Weapons Tight can be checked (or should be checked) but it really doesn't work. Is this true?

a video explaining "Weapons Tight and how it works" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Weapons Tight and how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coUcnekUoM

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 25
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 1/19/2012 8:17:19 PM   
MartinB

A new video After Action Report for "Power Sweep (USSR) [MP]" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Power Sweep (USSR) [MP]:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/EEC2D7E3F4C40A48/1/FChqu-gyF2Q

Have fun!

Post #: 26
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 1/30/2012 5:54:59 AM   
flyguy67966

A new video After Action Report for "Rescue a Sailor" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. You can watch Rescue a Sailor [MP]: http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/63BA825B5201198B/0/Vo6bSJzkyNA

(in reply to MartinB)
Post #: 27
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 1/31/2012 4:52:14 AM   
aotino

A new video After Action Report for "Escape from Diego Garcia" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Escape from Diego Garcia:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F11C2550A25370AA/14/RkIHtikR3Sc

Post #: 28
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of vi... - 3/2/2012 10:59:39 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

In direct response to yet anoth... Aaaaaah, scratch it for once... JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT, a new video After Action Report for "Gauntlet" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Gauntlet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarPlonked?feature=mhee#p/c/F11C2550A25370AA/13/Y3MZ0C9PSkk

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to aotino)
Post #: 29
RE: "Harpoon for Dummies": video-tutorials - 3/19/2012 11:31:07 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

A new video After Action Report for "Whose Minefield?" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Whose Minefield?:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0098262A9A95A353&feature=view_all

< Message edited by Vincenzo Beretta -- 3/19/2012 11:33:22 PM >

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> "Harpoon for Dummies": a new series of video-tutorials for Harpoon Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI