Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (no Fiva)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (no Fiva) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/21/2011 8:36:03 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

I got a question for you silly: why did you choose, of the two or three possible avenues to approach Leningrad the easiest for fiva to defend the city and the hardest for you to bag a lot of Red Army soldiers? I think the most cost effective, and hardest to defend from is to do a hook north from Novgorod all the way to the Achilles Heel hex. You're cutting rail as you advance and have the Volkhov river to anchor your flank. Nearly unstoppable.

Thanks for your comments BG

Simply because it was the quickest way. Fiva left that route pretty much undefended cf 3 high divs in l3 forts in bad terrain behind rivers everywhere else. I was in fact thinking of going the long way via Staraya Russa to unhinge Novgorod position before I noticed the opportunity. More detail in post 80 above. I bagged about 115K prisoners on the route I took so not too shabby a decision.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 10/21/2011 8:57:34 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 121
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/21/2011 8:43:19 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

No hairy asses in the British Army? Really? Not even on a Highlander Regiment?

BG, if you want to look under a highlander's kilt to look for hair, don't let me stop you. For my own part I never felt the need to know or to risk losing my front teeth in the process.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 122
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/21/2011 8:54:45 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

Losing 80 ARM is a huge blow. At what turn are you right now? He should have depleted his ARM pool at some point in September, unless he took emergency and draconian measures in August.

I've just done my T11. My own ARM pool depleted totally in T4 or 5 due to what I understand now to have been a bug with 47mm guns or something.

BTW I was on .05 beta from time it 1st came out but latest beta seems to have knocked me back to .04 for some reason. It was a bit alarming when all my Hiwis disappeared in my game against Baelfiin but latest beta now reinstalled and they have returned.

web exchange

Post #: 123
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/21/2011 5:30:26 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

I got a question for you silly: why did you choose, of the two or three possible avenues to approach Leningrad the easiest for fiva to defend the city and the hardest for you to bag a lot of Red Army soldiers? I think the most cost effective, and hardest to defend from is to do a hook north from Novgorod all the way to the Achilles Heel hex. You're cutting rail as you advance and have the Volkhov river to anchor your flank. Nearly unstoppable.

Thanks for your comments BG

Simply because it was the quickest way. Fiva left that route pretty much undefended cf 3 high divs in l3 forts in bad terrain behind rivers everywhere else. I was in fact thinking of going the long way via Staraya Russa to unhinge Novgorod position before I noticed the opportunity. More detail in post 80 above. I bagged about 115K prisoners on the route I took so not too shabby a decision.

Oh, I missed that.

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 124
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/22/2011 12:25:32 PM   
sillyflower

Fiva offered me a restart because of earlier bug that ate all my arms points in 1st 5 turns. I have declined as i can't be bothered to go back to the start. History will tell whether I made the right decision.

We will probably having another hiatus as Fiva is going away for 2 weeks and doesn't know how much his laptop will cope with.

Do people with experience of .05 think I should change my mind given progress to date?

web exchange

Post #: 125
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 10/24/2011 3:27:01 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Fiva offered me a restart because of earlier bug that ate all my arms points in 1st 5 turns. I have declined as i can't be bothered to go back to the start. History will tell whether I made the right decision.

We will probably having another hiatus as Fiva is going away for 2 weeks and doesn't know how much his laptop will cope with.

Do people with experience of .05 think I should change my mind given progress to date?

Well, you're not so much into the game, I think. I'd have a restart. I'm not so familiar with Germany production dynamics, but I think you might need those ARM during 1941, but surely later on in 1942 as you come out of Winter.

Wite2 - Lead Tester

Post #: 126
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 11/6/2011 9:31:57 AM   
sillyflower

I've decided that the principles of oneupmanship require me to beat him in the current game. He can then ponder about how much worse it would have been with a restart.

So all I have to do now is win............... Fiva should be doing his turn soon so normal service will be resumed this week.

web exchange

Post #: 127
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 11/23/2011 7:28:06 PM   
sillyflower

Not sure what's happening with this game. Fiva seems to be AWOL

Have not heard from him for ages despite asking him if he wants to continue or not. I'm reduced to tormenting Baelfiin - see him thread optimistically called teaching an old dog new tricks.

Him and whose cardboard army? Probably his 1943 army.

web exchange

Post #: 128
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 11/23/2011 7:34:18 PM   
Baelfiin

Waiting patiently for turn since I can't patch =p

SF you should start running for the dnepr while you still have a chance ....

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

Post #: 129
RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (... - 11/26/2011 10:47:52 PM   
sillyflower

Fiva has surrendered though sadly that seems to be due to RL work pressures for the forseeable future rather than to my metagame.

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 130
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Old Dog v Young Pup Sillyflower(G) v Fiva(R) GC41 (no Fiva) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI