AI possible to make it uncapable of declare war?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Stratos_MatrixForum

AI possible to make it uncapable of declare war?

Post by Stratos_MatrixForum »

One question.

- Exist any way to make the AI uncapable of declaring the war or at least limiting in turns the time he can do it? In random games the AI always declare war in 2 or 3 turns while totally unprepared to attack or defend. Will be better If I can limit the AI to declare war for forward in the game while both armies are more or less ready to go.

Thanks

-If we have to retreat, where we will retreat sir??
-To graveyard!!
Tac2i

RE: AI possible to make it uncapable of declare war?

Post by Tac2i »

It might be possible by using the game editor to control DOW timing but I'm not certain. Some AI regimes seem more inclined to declare war than others. In any case on your very first turn you should be deploying for aggressive/defensive action depending on your goals. Your city production needs to be reordered on the very first turn to support your plans. Don't waste a lot time trying to build up the ideal army before war starts. The AI, in most cases, isn't going to wait long to declare war. Where you might catch a break is in games with 2-3 AI. The AI will declare war on other AI. If that happens your regime might be left alone for awhile. On the other hand, sometimes you might be fighting more than one AI. That can be a real challenge.

It is usually the AI that has to "worry" about my quick declarations of war. My style of play is to get after the AI early and press them hard on multiple axis of advance. There are times I have to be defensive on certain parts of the front but the idea is to press the AI and force him to respond to my pressure vice the other way around.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
british exil

Post by british exil »

I was playing a game vs 3 AI. I declared war on 1 that was next to me the other was across the ocean too far away so I let him be. The other was just a hop over a slight forest so I amassed border units against him in the North,the center lightly protected as their main advance was towards the south to attack the 1st AI, but did not declare war.

I was doing fine against the first AI nearly had him finished off, he was in the ropes. My armies were far spread out, pocketing the enemy making nice kills. When all of a sudden out of the blue the 2nd AI declared war on me. he had amased a large army in the North so I couldn't retreat but also couldn't attack as he was to strong, the center was a different picture. My armies had pressed so far forward into the first AI's terrain that my center was wide open for the 2nd AI.

He poured a massive amount of troops through my center knocking out 2 army HQ's, smashed my airforce sitting in lighty protected airbases, anihilated my newly trained units heading to the south to help out and get EP and cut of the whole army. I was forced to surrender because the pocket was to big to get any men out.

I learnt that an AI that does not declare war is not automaticily a friend. Either you attack him on your temrs early in the game or he'll attack you when you are not ready or your battling it out somewhere else on the map.

I felt like I had just been kicked where it really hurts, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the losses before the turn opened.

That AI general was quite a good general.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Vic

Post by Vic »

There is a rulevar you can set in the editor that will make the AI never declare war.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: british exil

I was playing a game vs 3 AI. I declared war on 1 that was next to me the other was across the ocean too far away so I let him be. The other was just a hop over a slight forest so I amassed border units against him in the North,the center lightly protected as their main advance was towards the south to attack the 1st AI, but did not declare war.

I was doing fine against the first AI nearly had him finished off, he was in the ropes. My armies were far spread out, pocketing the enemy making nice kills. When all of a sudden out of the blue the 2nd AI declared war on me. he had amased a large army in the North so I couldn't retreat but also couldn't attack as he was to strong, the center was a different picture. My armies had pressed so far forward into the first AI's terrain that my center was wide open for the 2nd AI.

He poured a massive amount of troops through my center knocking out 2 army HQ's, smashed my airforce sitting in lighty protected airbases, anihilated my newly trained units heading to the south to help out and get EP and cut of the whole army. I was forced to surrender because the pocket was to big to get any men out.

I learnt that an AI that does not declare war is not automaticily a friend. Either you attack him on your temrs early in the game or he'll attack you when you are not ready or your battling it out somewhere else on the map.

I felt like I had just been kicked where it really hurts, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the losses before the turn opened.

That AI general was quite a good general.

Mat

Enjoyed reading that. [;)]
In my last random game I was facing four AI's, one of them AI+. I could only battle one or two AI's as they declared war on me the very first turn or so. I was forced to commit 90% of my army to those two fronts... placing only a few rearguard units on the other two frontlines... hoping and praying the AI wouldn't declare war on me any time soon as I would be toast within very few turns. Unlike your game the AI didn't declare war on me until I was ready for it, maybe that would have made a better game though.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”