Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/18/2011 11:45:52 AM   
karlxii

Hi all !

I just stumbled across this one. I had no idea what it was and now saw it is practically Panzer General.

What I wonder is though is:

- Is it Panzer General II but with improvements ? More advanced ? More statistics or practically just the orginial with new graphics ?
- How is the A.I in current version and how does it compare to Panzer General II ?

Thank you for any input on this.

I hope it have the good things of Panzer General II which I have been a hardcore player of, and not only building on Panzer General I

And by the way, how many pages are the manual ? Is it good or only describing the interface ?
[update!] The manual could be viewed in this forum. Question answered.

< Message edited by karlxii -- 8/18/2011 3:56:57 PM >

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Post #: 1
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/18/2011 2:03:03 PM   
Treale

I've been wondering about this myself? I've had the original PG's and currently have PG Forever. All of them have some things that are really stupid. Such as a German Armor unit attacking a Polish Cavalry unit and getting a bloody nose. Stukas attacking or being attacked by an Allied fighter and slaughtering them? Too abstract for me!

Tony

(in reply to karlxii)
Post #: 2
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/18/2011 4:41:26 PM   
Grotius

The A.I. seems decent to me, on defense anyway. It doesn't make many obvious boneheaded moves, but then it doesn't have to make many moves at all, as it's playing defense. I'm playing on the second-hardest of the original difficulty levels ("General"), and for my next game I'll choose the hardest ("Field Marshall"), which in turn can unlock three bonus difficulty levels. The biggest challenge for me hasn't been winning, but winning fast enough to earn a Decisive Victory. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

The game is indeed relatively abstract, but combat results generally seem plausible to me. Yes, fighters will generally win air-to-air matchups, but some fighter-bombers hold their own too, as was the case historically.

I think it's great fun, as long as you remember it's beer-and-pretzels, not "Gary Grigsby's War in the East."

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 3
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/18/2011 6:00:08 PM   
gchristie

Just recently bought it and have won decisive victories in the first two scenarios of the 1939 campaign. It is fun and challenging so far. Having played PG but not PG II, I can't answer your question, though it feels familiar enough to PG to make me feel right at home.

AI is competent, but I've noticed that it has a habit of attacking out of an entrenched position or a key strategic location in order to score a cheap hit on a unit that is nearby and on a truck. This allows you to bait the AI into leaving a key city so you can waltz in unmolested the next turn. I'm not the first to point this out and I read that the developers/modders? are working on a fix for this soon.

Manual is mercifully short, 36 pages, but it could be a bit deeper in explaining things. But I've found that the forum provides all I need to know so far.

Hope you buy it and enjoy it. This company is worth our supporting them by paying full price for their products, IMHO.

< Message edited by gchristie -- 8/18/2011 6:03:57 PM >

(in reply to karlxii)
Post #: 4
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/18/2011 8:07:13 PM   
terje439

I would say that the AI is alot better than in any of the other "General" series (panzer 1->, pacific, allied, fantasy) with the exception of the allready mentioned habit of moving out of entrenched positions.
Some of the scenarioes are bloody hard to get the Decisive Victory on.
Also unlike the previous games, you are likely to during the campaign to lose a core unit or two, and prestige is alwyas a problem/issue now.

I really enjoyed Panzer General I and II, Fantasy General and Pacific General, but now this game tops the list. Add to that that there are players making Mods, as well as a friendly forum that will enlighten you if you need help, this is a good buy imo (but then again others could be disappointed),

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to gchristie)
Post #: 5
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 4:28:50 AM   
jomni

The game is more like an improved PG I than an improved PG II.  Which I think is better.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 6
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 7:17:37 AM   
karlxii

Thank you for all replies.

I wonder why they used PG 1 as foundation when PG 2 was superior in all aspects.

Nevertheless, I might buy this game anyway to support the effort if the A.I. is improved over that found in PG and will be continually improved by further patches.
I also hope for some kind of roadmap to develop this game if it sells good to improve it and not just add more theaters. Anyone heard news of that ?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 7
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 8:10:23 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: karlxii

....I wonder why they used PG 1 as foundation....

Possibly because of all the work that had gone into PG Forever?

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to karlxii)
Post #: 8
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 12:23:57 PM   
Dragoon

Thanks Rudankort for developing PG Forever for free just out of love  and Slitherine for employing Rudankort to do a real successor to PG.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 9
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 5:25:29 PM   
karlxii

I give up! I just bought the game. Downloading in progress...

(in reply to Dragoon)
Post #: 10
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/19/2011 10:31:18 PM   
HansHafen

PG II was the one with the painted map and units right? I thought it was good, but I preferred PG I to it. I also loved PG III Scorched Earth.

(in reply to karlxii)
Post #: 11
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/20/2011 12:43:54 AM   
flanyboy

I definitely preferred PG I to PG II although I only played PG II on my friends PC I never bought it myself... 

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 12
RE: Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... - 8/21/2011 7:27:16 PM   
DigIn

PG II seemed to easy and to cartoony for me. I LOVED PG III and still play it. JP's Panzers was a GREAT online resource and had many terrific PG III campaigns. Having the players develop and use settings like the "weak hand" army was brillant. This game is an EXCELLENT remake of PG one for the modern machines. I'm about to struggle my way through the entire 39 campaign to see what these Hero's are all about

dig In

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Newcomer: How is the AI ? and more... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI