Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Encouragement to Try the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Encouragement to Try the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Encouragement to Try the Game - 8/17/2011 5:59:22 PM   
lparkh

After many years of owning the game but never committing the time to really learn it (it was a bit daunting frankly) I have now finished 3 games against the AI (one normal with no FOW and two at impossible..one union.. one CSA).
I have to say, like any other Grigsby games, this is a rich experience. I really think Gary hit the right central Civil War themes with his focus on leadership, initiative, and scouting/spotting. There are many subtle interweavings. It is a particular pleasure to play while reading "The Civil War: A Narrative" by Shelby since the characters gain flesh from the book.
My only critique would be that the reactive moves make it pretty impossible (typically) for the rebs to launch any offensive actions.. let alone invade the North.
But other than that I think this gem probably got a bit lost in the shuffle due to it's very novel design. A very properly novel design IMHO. Contrast it to War in the East which on the surface at least plays to very well known wargaming conventions and therefore probably had an easier uptake. War in the East is an easier "start" than GGWBTS but I wanted folks who have been on the fence to considerate giving GGWBTS the time it deserves.

Treefrog has kindly offered to play me PBEM. So now I will near learn humility having conquered the AI ;-)
Post #: 1
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/19/2011 3:32:30 AM   
laramieela

Based upon your recommendation and the advice of others, I purchased the game and am enjoying learning it.
Thank you.

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 2
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/20/2011 3:36:09 AM   
Def Zep

Indeed it's a very good game, Laramieela. I think you'll find it a good purchase. Be sure to closely peruse the patch notes; they changed quite a few important things as the design progressed.

It's one of the very few Civil War games I've played where I can honestly say that, you'll do very well to follow the general strategies implemented in each theatre (East, West, Mississippi River, Coastal) by both sides.The game definitely rewards careful study!

< Message edited by Def Zep -- 10/20/2011 3:40:32 AM >

(in reply to laramieela)
Post #: 3
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/21/2011 4:16:55 AM   
laramieela

I so appreciate the advice. It is a complex game, which is fine, I am just experimenting with the command part of the game. Thanks for the advice.
How do I know I have all the patch notes?

(in reply to Def Zep)
Post #: 4
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/21/2011 10:35:17 AM   
Floyd

There is a 'readme.rtf' in the main folder with all notes.

(in reply to laramieela)
Post #: 5
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/22/2011 4:00:16 AM   
laramieela

Got it, thank you.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 6
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/25/2011 3:34:53 AM   
lparkh

Glad to hear my recommendation was not misplaced :-) It really is a very unusual game. Maybe too innovative to win the big sales. But a great design.
I am playing it PBEM right now, quite interesting.

(in reply to laramieela)
Post #: 7
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/29/2011 2:26:58 AM   
RCH

I'm thinking of purchasing this game, but have a few concerns.  I absolutely no not like the IGOUGO system.  I saw that their is supposed to be some defensive action that occurs when the player moving attacks.  I would like an editor.  None of these games have one, but I would use it.  

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 8
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 10/31/2011 8:48:53 PM   
Joel Billings

There is a reaction phase at the start of your turn, and before the other player's combats take place. So they move, then you get to do some limited reaction moves, then their combat takes place, then you move, then they have limited reactions and then your combat is resolved. No editor, sorry, although IIRC much data is stored in .txt files that can be altered if you want, including creating new scenarios.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to RCH)
Post #: 9
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 11/3/2011 4:54:39 PM   
Michael Hobuss

I will be asking for this game for Christmas.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 10
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 11/11/2011 4:43:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

I read through Foote's narrative while we were in development and it is definitely a good match with the game. I agree that 2by3 hit the nail on the head with this release as far as focusing on the right choices for the Civil War, both military, economic and political. The AI is also quite good.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Michael Hobuss)
Post #: 11
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 11/12/2011 11:58:41 AM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I read through Foote's narrative while we were in development and it is definitely a good match with the game. I agree that 2by3 hit the nail on the head with this release as far as focusing on the right choices for the Civil War, both military, economic and political. The AI is also quite good.
Regards,

- Erik

The parts in bold, along with the ability to develop your leaders, was what particularly attracted me to this game. FoF and AGEOD's ACW both looked appealing (and are also solid titles from everything I've heard), but it was WBTS that had that "certain something" that really grabbed me.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 12/30/2011 1:10:53 AM   
MikeS369

Okay, I know I said I thought this game is too expensive but lparkh has convinced me to give this a go. I love ACW games even though I am terrible at them. I try to get all the ACW games that have a gathering of people that give positive comments on them and I really like 2by3. I think I have all their games but this one. So lparkh I better like this game.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 13
RE: Encouragement to Try the Game - 12/30/2011 10:39:43 PM   
lparkh

Holy cow. Me and my big mouth!
It's a good game. Just make sure you invest the time. It's a Grigsby game.. so it's not trivial to learn and play well. I chickened out in 2008 after a 1/4 game and then came back a year ago and gave it my committment and was rewarded :-)

(in reply to MikeS369)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Encouragement to Try the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI