Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best AI in a turn-based wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best AI in a turn-based wargame Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/17/2011 11:58:35 AM   
Valgua

What's the best AI in a turn-based wargame that you have ever had the pleasure to encounter?

Post #: 1
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/17/2011 12:19:21 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valgua
What's the best AI in a turn-based wargame that you have ever had the pleasure to encounter?

In no particular order :

War Plan Pacific
Birth of America
Anything by SSG
TOAW 3

Also, I hear the AI in Hannibal : Rome and Carthage is brutal

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 2
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/17/2011 2:15:50 PM   
Matto

I like playing AGEOD games against AI ... 

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, HnM I., P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/17/2011 2:38:44 PM   
Fred98

Combat Command Matrix Edition

The game is simple: as a result the AI is an excellent opponent.

-

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 4
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/17/2011 8:34:33 PM   
Anguille

Spartan/Got has a very decent AI as well

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 5
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 12:50:40 AM   
sabre1

Empire Deluxe

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 6
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 12:51:27 AM   
sabre1

Original SSG Reach for the Stars

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 7
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 12:55:44 AM   
Lieste

Any reason to limit it to turn based, rather than to 'serious' wargame?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 8
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 10:07:10 AM   
Valgua

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste

Any reason to limit it to turn based, rather than to 'serious' wargame?

The reason is that when it comes to real time wargames the answer is, I think, obvious: Battles from the Bulge. I was curious to know if there are any turnbased wargames that can compete with that standard of AI.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 9
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 11:13:46 AM   
PJJ

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War.

No other turn-based AI I've seen in action comes even close to it. Definitely gives as good a challenge, if not better than the Panther Games AI.

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 10
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 11:41:16 AM   
Chilperic

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJJ

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War.

No other turn-based AI I've seen in action comes even close to it. Definitely gives as good a challenge, if not better than the Panther Games AI.

+1

And Panther's AI when enlarging to non TBS wargames.

Fatal Years mod for RUS version 1.07
Struggle for a Vast Future 2.0 for AACW in advanced beta:

http://moddercorner.com/

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 11
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 11:56:28 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

The reason is that when it comes to real time wargames the answer is, I think, obvious: Battles from the Bulge. I was curious to know if there are any turnbased wargames that can compete with that standard of AI.

Well, you can play Battles from the Bulge as a turn-based game : give orders, let run for 2 game-hours, don't pause for *anything*, give orders again etc. A 2-day scenario thus becomes a 24-turn game in which you have to reach your objectives. Makes for *very* intense games.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 12
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 11:57:14 AM   
PJJ

Chliperic, your Fatal Years mod for Revolution Under Siege also has a great AI. 

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 13
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 2:11:24 PM   
Chilperic

In Hannibal, my 3 serious tries until now, after reading manual, forum, etc. on normal level has ended by 3 defeats... Even Panther's one is less letal. A pity Hannibal isn't more considered.

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 8/18/2011 2:12:25 PM >

Fatal Years mod for RUS version 1.07
Struggle for a Vast Future 2.0 for AACW in advanced beta:

http://moddercorner.com/

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 14
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 2:41:08 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Well, you can play Battles from the Bulge as a turn-based game : give orders, let run for 2 game-hours, don't pause for *anything*, give orders again etc. A 2-day scenario thus becomes a 24-turn game in which you have to reach your objectives. Makes for *very* intense games.

It's not turn based. It's phase based (you get orders phase and execution phase). Turn-based is when players take turns in manipulating their units.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 15
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 3:17:27 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

It's not turn based. It's phase based (you get orders phase and execution phase). Turn-based is when players take turns in manipulating their units.

Back when I was a beta-bunny for Panther Games I made some suggestion to have a turn-based MP. Players would agree on turn-length. Player A would enter his orders, send the savegame to Player B who would then let the game run for x hours, then enter his orders, send the game back etc.

Arjuna didn't think much of this idea, but as far as I can tell no-one is playing the realtime online game they put so much effort into. If BftB was turn-based this way I'd be playing it all the time.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 16
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 4:04:16 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Gary Grigsby's War in the East is the best AI created to date for a turned based wargame hands down. Iíve played every game mentioned above, and none of them holds a candle to the AI in War in the East. It is still just an AI and should be viewed as no better than a training tool for learning the game, but it has one thing going for it none of the others has.

Itís a reactive AI, it actually has the ability to identify a pocket that is about to be formed and will react to the threat and pull troops out of the threatened area to try and save them. Iíve never seen any AI with this ability before, as most/all of them are scripted and have no ability to react to player moves if they do something not planned for ahead of time in the AIís scripted behavior.

Scripted AIís can be good if the game follows a predictable path and the player does everything the designer planned for when he wrote the script. But step out of the script and you see ridiculous results such as the AI sitting on its assigned objective doing nothing while the player races around behind it using an unplanned for direction of advance.

Also once a player learns the script in a game, itís super easy to beat it after that. A reactionary AI like the one in War in the East however has no script you can learn to beat, so every game is a new experience as you try out different strategies. The AI still has many weaknesses, but it is the best one Iíve seen in any game so far.

Jim

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 17
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/18/2011 8:06:31 PM   
ilovestrategy

Ascendancy has the best AI I have ever seen. I kid, I kid. Hey! Put down that rock! Ouch!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 18
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 8/19/2011 10:55:21 AM   
Valgua

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

Gary Grigsby's War in the East is the best AI created to date for a turned based wargame hands down. Iíve played every game mentioned above, and none of them holds a candle to the AI in War in the East. It is still just an AI and should be viewed as no better than a training tool for learning the game, but it has one thing going for it none of the others has.

Itís a reactive AI, it actually has the ability to identify a pocket that is about to be formed and will react to the threat and pull troops out of the threatened area to try and save them. Iíve never seen any AI with this ability before, as most/all of them are scripted and have no ability to react to player moves if they do something not planned for ahead of time in the AIís scripted behavior.

Scripted AIís can be good if the game follows a predictable path and the player does everything the designer planned for when he wrote the script. But step out of the script and you see ridiculous results such as the AI sitting on its assigned objective doing nothing while the player races around behind it using an unplanned for direction of advance.

Also once a player learns the script in a game, itís super easy to beat it after that. A reactionary AI like the one in War in the East however has no script you can learn to beat, so every game is a new experience as you try out different strategies. The AI still has many weaknesses, but it is the best one Iíve seen in any game so far.

Jim

Nice! I am in fact interested in WitE, but my experience with WitP tells me that very long PBEM campaigns just do not work for me. Work and life always ruin the fun... :-) A decent AI is therefore a necessity.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 19
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 9/10/2017 10:47:54 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Has anything changed in your opinion since 2011?

(in reply to Valgua)
Post #: 20
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 9/10/2017 10:49:47 PM   
Zorch

Chess.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 21
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 9/11/2017 11:16:30 AM   
Agathosdaimon

I have been playing recently Achtung Spitfire from 1997 and i think its AI is outstanding and overall an extremely thrilling turn based air battle game - play it on the highest realism setting and it is intense, - the AI is good at getting into blind spots - such a goood game!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 9/11/2017 9:23:30 PM   
RFalvo69

I bought "Galactict Civilization II" at a firesale on Steam (with all the expansions) and the AI is amazing. Not only it is specifically tailored to each race, but in the options you can give them "extra time" to think - something I suggest to do. The day my closest allies backstabbed me both out of the blue andexactly at the right moment is still one of those "moments of wonder" in my gaming history.

I read an interview with the designer where he said that one "trick" he used was to never introduce in the game a feature that the AI couldn't handle well - which is the reason as why there are no "carrier" units in the game. He said that too many games are built without the AI in mind, and then it is "slapped on them" as the last thing - hoping that it can do something decent. How true! For example, I nave lost count of the games where the AI is unable to conduct a proper seaborne invasion.

My favourite x4 space game is still Distant Worlds, but the AI in GalCivII is without doubt the better I ever met in a strategy game.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 23
RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame - 9/11/2017 9:59:56 PM   
MrsWargamer

The today answer for this older thread would be Battle Academy.

Why?

Well, the game is challenging for the first few runs through of any battle. So considering the series quantity of battles, and if you play each battle 3 times, you can expect to have to actually work for your wins for the most part and you will be busy for a good long while hammering your way through the product.

The AI isn't brilliant, but the AI is also not going to be managing a massive sum of decisions either. So it can deliver what a war gamer ideally wants, a challenge.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best AI in a turn-based wargame Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI