Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on SUs...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Question on SUs... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on SUs... - 8/8/2011 4:41:04 PM   
GBS

On Turn one I set all HQs except OKH to 0 support units. After two turns OKH was full. I then set OKH to 0, Army Groups to 1, Armys to 2, and Corps to 3 support units expecting the SUs to begin flowing back down to the Corps automatically. On turn 7 some Corp have begun building up SUs but some have received nothing and still just have Construction Crews. Is this not correct?
Post #: 1
RE: Question on SUs... - 8/8/2011 7:06:39 PM   
Harovan

Your settings mean, you want 3 of all support unit types (arty, anti-air, anti-tank, SP gun, rocket etc.) into every corps, 2 into every army and 1 into every army group. That some HQs received nothing has the reason, that there are simply not enough SUs of one or more particular types.

For instance, the scenario starts with 120 artillery SUs. That's barely enough to get 3 into all corps HQs, but if some went into army or even army group HQs, there's not even enough for all corps. Another example: The scenario starts with 52 pioneer battalions. After giving 17 corps 3 each there is only 1 left for all the rest. For other SUs the situation is even worse (5 AT, 25 SP gun).

If you want an about even distribution of SUs, there's nothing better than to lock and to move them manually.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on SUs... - 8/8/2011 8:00:45 PM   
GBS

That sounds like a lot of work. Is there no way to get where you want to be automatically or through the commanders report page?

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on SUs... - 8/8/2011 8:05:31 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harovan

Your settings mean, you want 3 of all support unit types (arty, anti-air, anti-tank, SP gun, rocket etc.) into every corps, 2 into every army and 1 into every army group. That some HQs received nothing has the reason, that there are simply not enough SUs of one or more particular types.

For instance, the scenario starts with 120 artillery SUs. That's barely enough to get 3 into all corps HQs, but if some went into army or even army group HQs, there's not even enough for all corps. Another example: The scenario starts with 52 pioneer battalions. After giving 17 corps 3 each there is only 1 left for all the rest. For other SUs the situation is even worse (5 AT, 25 SP gun).

If you want an about even distribution of SUs, there's nothing better than to lock and to move them manually.

German Korps usually had two motorised heavy artillery battalions and a pioneer battalion.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on SUs... - 8/8/2011 10:23:16 PM   
Harovan

German Corps had one or several "Arko" (Artillerie-Kommandeur), staffs to lead attached army artillery. They didn't have own troops, they led battalions attached to "Artillerie-Regiments-Stab", see below. They also typically had a "Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung" (corps communication battalion), which isn't modelled in WitE, and a "Korps-Nachschub-Abteilung" (corps supply battalion), which is modelled as truck pool.

Corps could have one or more support unit staffs attached, like "Artillerie-Regiments-Stab", "Nebelwerfer-Regiments-Stab" and "Pionier-Regiments-Stab". These staffs were also empty shells and commanded battalions attached by army or higher commands, typically heavy artillery, nebelwerfers, pioneers, bridge engineers and others. The numbers of attached battalions varied wildly according to the corps' objectives.

For instance the XXVI. Armeekorps, taking part in the siege of Leningrad, in the second half of 1942 had up to 8-9 battalions of artillery, heavy artillery, coastal artillery and train artillery, attached to the "Artillerie-Regiments-Stab 782" and "Artillerie-Regiments-Stab 818" and led by "Arko 113". In the first half of 1942 there was much less artillery attached.

GBS: I wish there was an easy way, I find it likewise annoying, but once you're through (usually around turn 10), you have to take care only of new units and unit withdrawals. I usually keep some assets in reserve, like heavy howitzers and heavy nebelwerfers, and attach them to corps, which have to crack tough nuts.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Question on SUs... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI