Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Omaha Beach

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Omaha Beach Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 11:03:15 AM   
sweeteye

Hello everyone...I recently purchased Battles From the Bulge and decided to try my hand at
making a map and scenario.I decided upon Omaha Beach.Really am not sure if this is an appropriate
scenario for this game given the fact that there are no naval units or landing craft. Decided
to go ahead with it figuring that I could just start the U.S. forces on the beach.The map represents
a nine by five mile area in and around Omaha beach.The map is a little crude and not entirely
accurate being that I made it by hand from scratch using several maps as references.The map
still needs some work but I was able to get it done enough to try out a test of the scenario.
I spent a short time researching information for the U.S. and German orders of battle.Like the map,
the OOB still needs some adjustments but is done enough for a test.The scenario runs for three
days,from 06:30 June 6th to 23:00 June 8th.This will be an extensive AAR as I took seventy screen
shots and made notes on the actions of the units over the course of the three days.I will trim this
down as much as possible.I had a great time playing this scenario and want to give as good
account of it as I can.If there is an interest in the scenario by anyone I will make it available.
I will start with the initial landings by the U.S. and add to the AAR as my time and energy
permits. I play as the U.S. Computer plays as the Germans.

June 6th 1944 06:30 - First U.S. assault wave
1st Division : 116th regiment - 745th Tank battalion - 2nd Ranger battalion:

07:00 16th regiment begins landing:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 8/8/2011 12:28:30 PM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Post #: 1
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 11:37:46 AM   
Lieste

Looks interesting... watching for more :)

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 2
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 12:15:35 PM   
sweeteye

10:00 Attacks by 116th,745th,and 16th: progress very slow,German artillery fire suppressing U.S.advance.

11:00 29th Division begins landing

12:00 Situation at noon

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 1:33:28 PM   
sweeteye

13:00 Advance on Sainte Honorine

14:25 Colleville Vierville area

14:30 Bombarding Colleville

15:00 Overall situation

18:00 Situation to the west. Heavy U.S.casualties.Driven back to beach.

22:00 Colleville objective achieved.Germans then make advance back on area.

00:03 Situation at end of first day. Not in control of any objectives and have taken heavy casualties.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 4
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 1:35:09 PM   
johndoesecond

You could emulate naval bombardments by creating dummy islands ashore and putting some artillery there.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 5
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 1:44:54 PM   
sweeteye

Very good idea! I never would have thought of that. I will give it a try when I edit the map and scenario in the near future.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to johndoesecond)
Post #: 6
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 2:06:59 PM   
rwenstrup

Could you post the scenario in the MOD section? Looks really good!

Over the main entrance to a beautiful manor built in Germany in 1748: "When we live in peace we make buildings such as this...when we make war we tear them down"

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 7
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 2:27:55 PM   
sweeteye

Yes....I will upload it soon if you would like. I do need to make some adjustments to the scenario and map before I do upload it. It is by no means a well tested scenario. The OOB's are not completely accurate as far as unit strengths go and the U.S landing schedule is not fully accurate. I am also not completely happy with the point values for the objectives.You can of course make adjustments yourself if you like. In the near future I can post an updated version. I will try to upload it this evening.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 8
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 2:32:52 PM   
rwenstrup

Thanks sweeteye!

Over the main entrance to a beautiful manor built in Germany in 1748: "When we live in peace we make buildings such as this...when we make war we tear them down"

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 9
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/8/2011 9:56:29 PM   
sweeteye

Being that I made some adjustments to the scenario objectives I will not spend my time with a longer AAR. I will wrap things up with a view of the end of day two and the major movements of day three.

The scenario turned out to end as a draw although I feel it could have been a victory given the number of objectives achieved. I did take a substantially higher number of casualties than the Germans and this could have played a role in the drawn conditions.
Now that I have the objective values adjusted I can move on to another test. This time I believe I will play as the Germans.There is still a significant amount of research to be done in order to improve the map and scenario.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 10
RE: Omaha Beach - 8/9/2011 10:12:19 PM   
sweeteye

Played another test as the Germans with the objectives values set as in the current downloadable file in the mod section.For the first two days I contained the US forces near the beach.It was not until the third day that the U.S. forces were able to gain a small amount of ground,not nearly enough for a victory by them.I ended up scoring a decisive victory.I believe I am going to adjust the objective values again by setting the allied objectives near the beach to high priority.Currently the objectives are set to low priority near the beach for the Allies.One question I have is if it is possible to change the difficulty level of the game? I thought I read where there are two difficulty levels but I cannot seem to find out how to change this if it is possible.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Omaha Beach Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI