Is there a beginner thread? should I play this game?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mantrain

Is there a beginner thread? should I play this game?

Post by mantrain »

I have had A.E shelved in mothballs, well, since it came out. I would really like to learn how to play, but not sure how to start learning it. I do not have the original game, so I cannot play that tutorial. any advise appreciated. thanks!
John 3rd

RE: Is there a beginner thread? should I play this game?

Post by John 3rd »

Take a small scenario (Coral Sea) and learn the basics of your TF, movement, air search, and combat. Switch sides and try it again. Once you feel somewhat comfortable have a player take you on in a head-to-head. Move to a longer scenario (Guadalcanal) and do the same. Once you have gone through these then look at the Grand Campaign and DON'T play the Japanese! The economy will drive you to drink heavily...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Hi mantrain

Here is a thread that is pretty good for beginers.  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

Here is another good thread.  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137

Just jump in and play.  Read some of the AAR's.  Canoereble, GreyJoy, Nemo and a bunch more have AAR's around that are good.  I am new here myself and have found that the members on the forums are very helpful and knowledgeable.  So just post questions here and you will get an answer rather quickly. 

So def play the game it is a great game.  It will suck your life away, but you will enjoy it. 

doc
Wikingus

Post by Wikingus »

Just play even if you make a ton of mistakes. There's really no other way.

And do read AARs and help threads, because there is literally a ton of things you'll overlook while playing.
Messer

Post by Messer »

I'm also lost in this game. I bought it due to long available nights but it's a rather complex game to begin from scratch.

Thanks for the tips.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Dig in and post questions here. Best forum around. Always happy to help. BTW, once you start a campaign as the allies it's OK to make lots of mistakes. You get plenty more stuff. Try no to commit your carriers too early
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
seille

Post by seille »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Once you have gone through these then look at the Grand Campaign and DON'T play the Japanese! The economy will drive you to drink heavily...

I started similar, but wanted always to play the japs. I followed the forums for a longer time, played a few months of a GC as Axis player against the AI.
Mike Solli´s AAR was a great help in economic questions. Sadly it was not finished. Then the AE-Tracker. Without that tool i could not play the japs. If you look long enough at the Economy-Chart inside the tool you might understand how economy basically works. For me this was the case [:D]
Then i found a helpful player in these forum who offered to play a few month as my "teacher" (he played the allies). And he teached me some hard lessons. But imho that was better than playing another new player and continue with my "playing against the AI"-mistakes.
Maybe playing the japs isn´t for everybody because of the industry management, but i like it a lot.
Bradley7735

Post by Bradley7735 »

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

Just play even if you make a ton of mistakes. There's really no other way.

And do read AARs and help threads, because there is literally a ton of things you'll overlook while playing.

This statement is absolutely correct. There is no problem starting a game vs the AI and making tons of mistakes. Either load up the game from the last turn and correct your mistakes, or just start the game completely over. Or, just live with the mistake and learn the hard way.

When UV, WITP and AE came out, it took me 6 or 7 starts through 3-6 months of turns before I had the learning curve mostly down. Even to this day, I still learn something new on rare occasions.

Just start playing and don't worry about playing a perfect game on your first try. PBEM is a different beast. You should play a full grand campaign vs the AI before you commit to a PBEM match.
The older I get, the better I was.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I figure the real war wasn't perfect, so why should I. If I forget something on a turn, there's always tomorrow. (as long as it wasn't a critical battle).

Ed-
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

This is good for me, being in the same boat. Errrr, carrier.....
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

I think what I could really use is a thread for dummies AE learning me how to crawl and then walk in this game (basic mechanics). also maybe a good newbie AAR
thanks
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

I think what I could really use is a thread for dummies AE learning me how to crawl and then walk in this game (basic mechanics). also maybe a good newbie AAR
thanks

Indeed, there is such a training wheels AAR on one of the campaign scenarios which explains strategic decision making....I just can't remember the title...somebody help me out.

John III's suggestion is a good one. Start with a small scenario vs AI...you will have fun.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Messer and Mantrain. Why don't you just PM each other and start a small scenario....It really is the best way to get started. Play a human that is on the same level as you and have fun. It really is fun.

You can thank me later..[:D]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Indeed, there is such a training wheels AAR on one of the campaign scenarios which explains strategic decision making....I just can't remember the title...somebody help me out.

John III's suggestion is a good one. Start with a small scenario vs AI...you will have fun.

forumite Sardaukar has this thread in the AAR section:
tm.asp?m=2564541
describing the beginning of the GC (Grand Campaign) vs. the IJ AI.

it's not really about basic game mechanics, though - more like an example of how to use your available forces to achieve your desired strategic results. Well worth the read!

he covers a lot of ground, including the global scale of supply-shipping.
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

I have had A.E shelved in mothballs, well, since it came out. I would really like to learn how to play, but not sure how to start learning it. I do not have the original game, so I cannot play that tutorial. any advise appreciated. thanks!

DOCUP posted the 2 best threads for starting out. Then I'd read through the following AARs:

Greyjoy's side (he is a newbie and gets lots of advice): tm.asp?m=2761796

Andy Mac (he is a dev and gives lots of insight into the game engine): tm.asp?m=2324055

PzB (the other side of the Andy Mac AAR, also good things on what Japs can do): tm.asp?m=2324032

Nemo (gives insight into the strategic level of the game and the mind games that go on in a PBEM): tm.asp?m=2330017

jrcar (One of the best out there, talks a lot about strategy, operations and tactics and how the all relate): tm.asp?m=2200574

There are dozens of other really great ones out there and I haven't read some others yet, but the ones above strike me good for beginners (including Sardauker's newbie grand campaign tutorial someone else already linked).
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
zzodr

Post by zzodr »

One handy thing I learned was to name your task forces so its easier to keep track.
For example a bunch of tankers "Fuel to Sydney"
Or a Amphib TF "Invade Tulagi" etc etc
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

thanks
My sort of out of date video tutes -- (basic mechanics)
http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home?pli=1
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

Can't believe I forgot those great video tutorials, I still use them for a refresher from time to time -) Any chance of some new ones?
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Graymane
Can't believe I forgot those great video tutorials, I still use them for a refresher from time to time -) Any chance of some new ones?
Yeah I'm waiting for the patching to settle down and then I can do some on all the new things[;)]

Also Floyd and I might play a small scenario and I'll make video's (with his permission) for that.\

Cheers
Chuske

Post by Chuske »

I have a thread with loads of useful beginner links all in one place here

tm.asp?m=2576157

The user formerly known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”