Combined Unit Icon Mod

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

RocketMan

Combined Unit Icon Mod

Post by RocketMan »

I made a mod to the ground and air unit icons that adds the name of the equipment/vehicle to the ground unit icons and make/model/type of the aircraft to the air unit icons (these are the icons that appear at the bottom of the screen when you hover your mouse over a unit). This mod also adds the color of the country to the icons as shown in the picture below, but can be used without the colors as well.

There are two variations of this mod, with some flexibility on mixing and matching variations. The first one is all monochrome (i.e. shades of grey but mostly white) and the second one is color, with the colors for each countries units matching the default color of the units at the maximum zoom level (i.e. the colors from the Counter9x9.tga file).

To use the monochrome version of this mod, copy all the TARGA files (i.e. the .tga files) in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Monochrome folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and restart the game.

To use the color version of this mod, copy all the TARGA files (i.e. the .tga files) in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Color folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and restart the game.

Alternate color versions of the Italian and Soviet Union air and ground units are also included.

The alternate Italian color is for use with JMass’ unit mod (which changed the Italians from yellow to dark green) and is located in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\Italy\Dark Green - For JMass Unit Mod folder. To use this version copy all the files in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\Italy\Dark Green - For JMass Unit Mod folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and restart the game.

The alternate Soviet Union color is reddish instead of the default brownish color and is located in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\Soviet Union\Red. To use this version copy all the files in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\Soviet Union\Red folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and restart the game.

Finally, every countries units are broken down into different folders in the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\ folders. In each of those folders, there is a Monochrome as well as a Color folder (except for Italy which has a Dark Green and Yellow folder and the Soviet Union which has a Red and Brown folder), allowing you to mix and match which versions you want to use for each country. For instance, if you don’t like the colors for the Soviet units (and I can’t say I love either the brown or red myself), you can use the monochrome versions of the Soviet units and the color versions of the Axis units. To do that, you would copy all the color units from the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\color folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and then copy the monochrome Soviet units from the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod\Countries\Soviet Union\Monochrome folder to your Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Units folder and restart the game.

The type of aircraft is shown in black on the air unit icons. The different types are:

F = Fighter
FB = Fighter Bomber
NF = Night Fighter
TB = Tactical Bomber
LB = Level Bomber
R = Recon
JF = Jet Fighter
T = Transport

Edit: There are four situations (as of ver 1.04.36) where you will see the wrong unit color. Fixing these errors requires changes to the Generic Units database. See post #3 below for how to do that.

1) Hungarian Motorcycle Units will show as German.
2) Italian Motorcycle Units will show as German.
3) Finish 75mm Infantry Guns will show as German.
4) Finish BA-10 Armored Cars will show as Soviet.

Any other situation where you see the wrong color is almost certainly due to errors in the TOE(OB) of the unit calling out the wrong countries units (for instance, see this OOB Errors 1941-1945 Campaign ver. 1.04.36 thread).

Edit 2: I should also mention that this mod includes two icon files that were left out of the stock game (again as of ver 1.04.36), for unit ID: 274 Hetzer(H) (G0274.tga) and unit ID: 336 Marder III(S) (G0336.tga). No changes to the database are required for these icons to be used. In the stock game lacking these icons, these units will just never show up in the popup window because there is no icon file for them.

A sample of what this mod looks like is shown below. The actual mod is in the next post as an attachment as the Matrix forum only allows you to attach one file to each post.

The attachment in this post is the above picture, not the modded icon files! The mod is the attachment in the next post!
Attachments
WitECombi..Picture.jpg
WitECombi..Picture.jpg (986.32 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
RocketMan

RE: Combined Unit Icon Mod

Post by RocketMan »

The mod is attached at the bottom of this post. To use the mod, see the above post or read the WitE Combined Unit Icon Mod Readme.txt included with the mod file.
Attachments
WitE Combi..Icon Mod.zip
(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 1876 times
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

For the advanced modders, attached to this post are the icons that are needed to overcome some current shortcomings in the Ground Element database in the Generic Data. I pointed out most of these errors in the Ground Units Icon Issues thread in the Tech Support section.

Basically, a few changes to the Ground Element database in the Generic Data need to be made so that the the proper colors are shown for every country. These are not errors to the Units data (in other words, in every case the proper nationality of units are present in the units themselves), just to the icons that are displayed for these units. For example, the Hungarian and Italian Motorcycle units both call out the German Motorcycle icon, so when the unit popup box is displayed, the Motorcycle Squads are displayed with the German icon and thus the German color.

These errors are easy to fix by using the editor, loading the Generic Data, selection the Ground Elem tab, selecting the proper Ground Element Number, modifying the Use Symbol ID field and then Saving the Generic Data. Make sure to back up the wrob.dat, wrleader.dat, wrac.dat and wrob.dat files first!

The following changes need to be made to fix the color issues:

1) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 158 75mm Infantry Gun (Fin 1/42) from 74 75mm Infantry Gun (GE) to ID: 147 81mm Mortar (Fin 1/39).
2) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 176 BA-10 Armored Car (Fin 1/44) from 774 BA-10 Armored Car (SU) to 0 (-).
3) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 203 Motorcycle Squad (Ita 1/39) from 89 Motorcycle Squad (GE) to 0 (-).
4) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 354 Motorcycle Squad (Hun 1/39) from 89 Motorcycle Squad (GE) to 0 (-).

If these are the only changes you want to make, then the only files you need are G0176.tga, G0203.tga, and G0354.tga.

I have also included new icons for those who also want to have an icon for each vehicle in the game, instead of some vehicles sharing an icon. The changes that need to be made to the database in this case are:

1) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 175 StulG33B (Ger 11/42) from 27 Brumbar (GE) to 0 (-).
2) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 209 SdKfz-7/1 SP Flak (Ger 6/41) from 48 SdKfz-10/4 SP Flak (GE) to 0 (-).
3) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 210 SdKfz-7/2 SP Flak (Ger 6/42) from 127 SdKfz-6/2 SP Flak (GE) to 0 (-).
4) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 216 Panzerjager 38(t)H (Ger 11/42) from 37 Panzerjager 38(t) (GE) to 0 (-).
5) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 218 sIG33 Grille (Ger 4/43) from 53 sIG33 (SdKfz-138) (GE) to 0 (-).

6) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 219 Panzer IIIj L/42 (Ger 4/41) from 8 Panzer IIIh (GE) to 0 (-).
7) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 353 Toldi I (Hun 1/38) from 303 Toldi IIa (HU) to 0 (-).
8) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 763 IS-1 (SU 10/43) from 757 KV-85 (SU) to ID: 0 (-).
9) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 810 BM-13-16 Rocket Launcher (SU 8/41) from 825 BM-31-12 Rocket Launcher (SU) to 0 (-).
10) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 816 BM-40-4 Rocket Launcher (SU 6/42) from 825 BM-31-12 Rocket Launcher (SU) to 0 (-).
11) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 828 Valentine IX (SU 7/43) from 761 Valentine III (SU) to 0 (-).

Also, the Generic Units database currently uses the same symbol for both Hungarian Howitzers and Hungarian Rocket Artillery. So that Hungary will have their own symbol for each of these, like every other country, make the following change:

1) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 310 240mm Howitzer (Hun 0/39) from 276 150mm Nebelwerfer (HU) to ID: 0 (-).
For some reason, in 1.04.39 Beta this was changed from "276 150mm Nebelwerfer (HU)" to "108 150mm Field Gun (GE)". So for 1.04.39 Beta, change this to: Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 310 240mm Howitzer (Hun 0/39) from 108 150mm Field Gun (GE) to ID: 0 (-).

And finally, since you are in the database anyway, make the following change so that all Soviet Infantry Weapons are properly grouped together in the popup box.

1) Change Use Symbol ID for ID: 729 107mm Mortar (SU 1/39) from 0 (-) to ID: 784 76mm Infantry Gun (SU 1/39).
This change has already been made for 1.04.39 Beta.

The files in this attachment are organized in the same way as the one described above and would be used in the same way. It includes all the icons necessary for the above changes.

Note that these changes are current as of ver 1.04.36, but at least some of them are slated to be made in the next release. So check the actual database files before making any changes.

Edit: I missed a few vehicles, which are shown in blue in this post, and have updated the attached file to V1.01 to include these changes.

Edit 2: Changes in 1.04.39 Beta are listed above in red.
Attachments
WitE Combi..es V1_01.zip
(115.56 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Great little mod project you got going on RocketMan.  Thanks for all the work your putting into it, they sure do help out a lot with quick vehicle checks.[&o][&o][&o]
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

Great little mod project you got going on RocketMan.  Thanks for all the work your putting into it, they sure do help out a lot with quick vehicle checks.

Thanks CarnageINC. It was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be when I started it, but I hate leaving things half finished.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

Yeah... I give this Mod a big thumbs up.

Just one thing, motorcycle shows up as German for Hungarian units.

Just trying to help the mod out.[:)]

Attachments
Hun.jpg
Hun.jpg (265.2 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

Yeah... I give this Mod a big thumbs up.

Just one thing, motorcycle shows up as German for Hungarian units.

Just trying to help the mod out.[:)]

There are four situations where you will see the wrong unit color due to errors in the Generic database and the only way to fix them is to modify the Generic Units database.

1) Hungarian Motorcycle Units will show as German.
2) Italian Motorcycle Units will show as German.
3) Finish 75mm Infantry Guns will show as German.
4) Finish BA-10 Armored Cars will show as Soviet.

See post #3 above for how to fix these errors, but basically they occur because the database is calling for the wrong icon.

You will also see the wrong units color when there are errors in the Units database (for instance, see this OOB Errors 1941-1945 Campaign ver. 1.04.36 thread). These errors occur because the TOE(OB) database calls out the wrong countries units. You can make changes to those as well, but I would recommend waiting until they are fixed in a patch.

Hopefully the color issues will be fixed in a patch as well.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

I must have missed the Hungarian Motorcycle in post #3

Is there a chance that you could make the waffen SS black ?

Again thanks for the Mod.

RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

I must have missed the Hungarian Motorcycle in post #3

Is there a chance that you could make the waffen SS black?

Again thanks for the Mod.

You're welcome EisenHammer, I'm glad you like the mod.

Unfortunately there is no way to make the icons for the SS units different from the German color. Similarly, icons for Guard units can't be a different color from the Soviet color and icons for Luftwaffe units can't be different from the German color. The icons are called out at the equipment level and the "Special" status is set at the unit level.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

I missed a few vehicles in the database mod post (post #3 above) and have updated the attached file to V1.01 to include these changes.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Really well done, and love the colors. Thanks for the work. 
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

Thanks for great mod!
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

this is fantastic, thank you very much for your hard work.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

I just wanted to bump this one up for those who haven't tried this mod.  Its a excellent mod for new comers [;)]
Wild

Post by Wild »

Very cool. Thanks.
Templer_12

This mod is so good and so useful

Post by Templer_12 »

This mod is so good and so useful.

So good and so useful - so this mod should have been included in the vanilla version!

The point goes to RocketMan - not to 2by3.

Thank you so much. [:)]
ETF

RE: This mod is so good and so useful

Post by ETF »

Ah back to the good old days. Love this Mod!
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Very nice mod. I missed seeing this one somehow...
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Just wanted to say thank you RocketMan!

Really like the addition of the unit names....

Rongor

Post by Rongor »

Downloaded and now using it, VERY informative - VERY handy! Good work, thank you!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”