Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone played either one?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Has anyone played either one? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone played either one? - 8/6/2011 6:29:32 PM   
michael1776

Can anyone give me information on either of these games: Temple of Elemental Evil or Arcanum? I was thinking of switching things up a bit with a RPG. I have played Diablo, and Sacred before but for the most part I'm a pretty solid wargamer. Any information on these two would be great. They have gotten pretty solid reviews, but it's always better to get some first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
MJ

Post #: 1
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/6/2011 7:19:12 PM   
ezz

Temple is really hard. Seemed fun enough for those who are better at RPGs.
I got stuck and erm.. never continued. But its cheap.

Arcanum, if its that steam works one, is one of the few rpgs I've ever finished.

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 2
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/6/2011 9:28:44 PM   
pvthudson01

Temple when released was one of the buggiest pieces of trash on the planet and is widely considered a joke

Go with Arcanum

(in reply to ezz)
Post #: 3
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/6/2011 11:05:15 PM   
Lützow

I played both and would limn them mediocre at best. ToEE has an interesting combat system but not the epic feeling and storyline of BG. Arcanum, however, is a mere lackluster. Regarding the low prices on GoG, TOEE is worth a closer consideration though, if you feel bored enough.

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 4
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/6/2011 11:48:41 PM   
michael1776

Wow that's some harsh criticism. Maybe I will continue to poke around, because everything I read on the web gave them a big thumbs up. Anything in particular that causes you to malign them as bad games?

MJ

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 5
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/7/2011 10:40:31 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: michael1776

Anything in particular that causes you to malign them as bad games?

MJ

There are demos for both titles available, or at least were at release. Have a look and make your own decision. For me these games couldn't keep up with Fallout, BG or PS:T.

Post #: 6
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 1:23:41 AM   
apathetic lurker

Both are good, especially since they are so cheap

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 7
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 2:42:25 AM   
gunny

Arcanum has great immersion. Cowboys and Orcs. Guns vs magic. The world is somewhat open to explore. Alot of go here find this guy, fetch that, to progress the story. A little advice, don't kill NPC's like shop owners unless necessary. Its possible to destroy the linear story line and you won't be able to finish the game.

I found it alot like Fall-out in the way it played even though a different place different time.

< Message edited by gunny -- 8/8/2011 2:43:36 AM >

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 8
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 4:48:41 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny

Arcanum has great immersion. Cowboys and Orcs. Guns vs magic. The world is somewhat open to explore. Alot of go here find this guy, fetch that, to progress the story. A little advice, don't kill NPC's like shop owners unless necessary. Its possible to destroy the linear story line and you won't be able to finish the game.

You can use the summon spirit spell to talk with these NPCs and if you don't have it, they usually have a note with necessary information on themselves or in a drawer.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 9
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 12:18:19 PM   
apathetic lurker

I wish someone updated Arcanum with better graphics

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 10
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 2:06:27 PM   
Perturabo

Do you use high resolution path? It looks pretty nice with it. It could use ToEE-style detailed 3D characters, though.

I wish someone updated Arcanum with better combat mechanics - preferably more realistic (with distinction between various types of firearms ammo, less self-crippling critical misses on, no spamming grenades because they forgot to implement AP cost, etc.), more balanced character creation system (no starting 5 levels bellow average commoner, no 1 point per level where one has to choose between improving skills and improving attributes, no ending up as godly character), more polished/finished with more reactive followers and less trash combat locations.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 11
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/8/2011 2:15:33 PM   
Hanny

quote:

Can anyone give me information on either of these games: Temple of Elemental Evil or Arcanum? I was thinking of switching things up a bit with a RPG. I have played Diablo, and Sacred before but for the most part I'm a pretty solid wargamer. Any information on these two would be great. They have gotten pretty solid reviews, but it's always better to get some first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
MJ

Temple of Elemntal Evil, vamilia game is not worth your time, however, their is a circle of 8 mod for the game, which makes it one of the best rpg games you will find.http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

You will need the 2 Atari patches then the latest mod, 6.2, the boards has a full thread on changes additions etc, loads more balancing atari never got round to doing, better AI for NPC and more locations etc. Highly recommended and is adding War of the Golden skull into its next edition, which is a mass combat end game mission for the party you create, alliances ypou forged, defend the village against an invading army.

Arcanum was an odd game, not really worth the effort to get into, just leaves you feeeling let down and a lot of pointless moving back and forth for no real purpose, sacred Underworld would be a better choice for you i think, as you mentioned sacred1, or spellforce2, another good game, you can downlaod them all for free at the piratebay.http://thepiratebay.org/

< Message edited by Hanny -- 8/8/2011 2:17:32 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/9/2011 1:58:11 AM   
gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

You can use the summon spirit spell to talk with these NPCs and if you don't have it, they usually have a note with necessary information on themselves or in a drawer.

That did not exist in the first release. I'm gonna say that was added later after people ran into that problem. Didn't know that.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 13
RE: Has anyone played either one? - 8/9/2011 2:31:07 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

Thanks,
MJ

Temple of Elemental Evil has one of the best combat systems in cRPGs and is the most faithful implementation of D&D on computer, it has stat-based dialogues, multiple quest solutions, multiple endings and other Troika trademark features.
It's also bugged and is based on a bland and uninteresting module.

Arcanum is worth trying as it has a very interesting world, it has stat-based dialogues, multiple quest solutions, multiple endings and other Troika trademark features.
It also has an awful combat system, bizarre character creation and development system and lots of combat.

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

That did not exist in the first release. I'm gonna say that was added later after people ran into that problem. Didn't know that.

It existed when I played the demo and the spell is in printed game manual.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Has anyone played either one? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI