Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE's Healthy Forum Presence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE's Healthy Forum Presence Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/2/2011 10:49:14 PM   
Canoerebel

(I just posted this is my "Here come the Rebles!" AAR, but thought it might be worth posting in the general forum also.)

I have been monitoring the number of forumites present in both the AE section and the WitE section since the latter game debued and snatched away one of my opponents. For awhile after its release, WitE drew more to its forum...then after three or four months the two games ran basically even with AE gradually asserting a small lead...and now AE almost always has more; sometimes twice as many.

Also, while a number of old timers have gradually faded away (VSWG, Grotius, Q-Ball, Mogami, Admiral Dadman, Knavey, Yubari, and others over the years), there seems to have been a big influx of newcomers to AE of late. Perhaps these folks were drawn by AE's reduced price during the Matrix sale event sometime back.

In any event, the AE forum seems alive and well and lively, which is great news for all of us who love the game. So while we miss the departure of a cheerful old timber like a Grotius or a Q-Ball, we are fortunate to welcome a cheerful newcomer like GreyJoy.
Post #: 1
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/2/2011 11:13:39 PM   
JeffroK

I think WITE is badly in need of a WITE- Generals Edition.

Its closer to WITP than WITP-AE and could do with a decent kicking to bring out the good and clear out the rubbish.

Plus we are nicer people, sometimes, well at least occaisionally.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/2/2011 11:23:06 PM   
Mynok

I spend a healthy (unhealthy?) amount of time in both places. AE has the advantage of longevity. Most of us know each other to at least some degree.

WITE is still very much in the evolutionary stages. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will become.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/2/2011 11:42:32 PM   
Lecivius

Agreed.  I have both.  But there are a lot of isues with WitE, and it has a very steep learning curve as well. 

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/2/2011 11:56:42 PM   
mc3744

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Agreed.  I have both.  But there are a lot of isues with WitE, and it has a very steep learning curve as well. 

Steeper than WitP?!?
Is it better vs. AI or PBEM?
Would you recommend it to WitP AE player?

Thanks

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 12:33:03 AM   
khyberbill

I followed the WITE forum for a bit to see if I would want the game. I have the previous games, WIR and War in the East and did enjoy them both. The problem with WITE appeared to be not only the complexity, but two equal opponents would quickly become bogged down in what is called a blanket war. More like war in the trenches from the Great War or war in China in AE. Heck, I already have that with AE.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 12:52:35 AM   
mc3744

I gather you are not too fond of the game, are you?

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 7
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 2:01:34 AM   
JeffroK

I also almost purchased it, about a day away when a lot of complaints started to appear, mostly when people hit the blizzard.

IMHO, they tried to do too much to a situation that has already been done to death, and failed.

At least the PTO was relativly fresh, not many owners of The Eagle and The Sun out there (I'm one of the sad guilty party!), so we accepted a lot of what GG provided
in vanilla WITP, for a while.

Then WITP's best part, the editor, allowed the game to step up to levels such as CHS and then to the AE release.
Even here it has taken DBB/BigB/Treespider to further tweak it to even higher levels.

WITE is just past stage 1, and has a long way to go before I'll buy it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 8
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 2:49:15 AM   
Mynok

Yes, it needs some work. Not all games turn into WWI in the east though. They've done good work getting the first blizzard right, and now they are working on some balance issues in 42. It's still fun to play. And a nice change of pace from the WITP I've been playing for almost 10 years now.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 5:24:24 AM   
LoBaron

Same here. Only two things held me back: time constraints and the air model is too abstracted for my personal taste.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 6:14:23 AM   
crsutton

As an old "Europa" player WITE really intrigues me. But it really came down to time. For now I would rather devote my time to AE.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 11
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 8:55:42 AM   
Micke II

Same feeling for me. I prefer AE far better than WITE. To my opinion the big mistake of WITE is the IGOYOUGO system instead of the WEGO system which is working very nicely in AE. The flavour of AE is in WEGO system which allows to the players plenty of strategic options which is not the case in WITE.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 12
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 2:36:50 PM   
jeffk3510

I haven't tried WITE yet... does look like fun however. I have noticed a nice increase in new faces as well Dan.

Good to see.

(in reply to Micke II)
Post #: 13
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 3:23:14 PM   
Paladin1dcs

While I'm new to the forum and game, I'm not new to the series.  I started playing WitP some time back and only recently upgraded to AE.  I have to say though, I'm so highly impressed with it to this point that I'm looking into other offerings as well.

Now just to find the other Johnny Rebs...

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 14
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 5:32:56 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

(I just posted this is my "Here come the Rebles!" AAR, but thought it might be worth posting in the general forum also.)

I have been monitoring the number of forumites present in both the AE section and the WitE section since the latter game debued and snatched away one of my opponents. For awhile after its release, WitE drew more to its forum...then after three or four months the two games ran basically even with AE gradually asserting a small lead...and now AE almost always has more; sometimes twice as many.

Also, while a number of old timers have gradually faded away (VSWG, Grotius, Q-Ball, Mogami, Admiral Dadman, Knavey, Yubari, and others over the years), there seems to have been a big influx of newcomers to AE of late. Perhaps these folks were drawn by AE's reduced price during the Matrix sale event sometime back.

In any event, the AE forum seems alive and well and lively, which is great news for all of us who love the game. So while we miss the departure of a cheerful old timber like a Grotius or a Q-Ball, we are fortunate to welcome a cheerful newcomer like GreyJoy.

I have wondered about Mogami, I know he had been off to war a couple of times, acquired a wife and had a kid (a full plate of RL for anyone). Seems he would have been tickled to death with AE.

His last post was back in early 2009 when he was ready to ship out again and his last log on was a year or so later. Even with his busy new life not many of us can put down our old toys so completely, especially someone who was so dedicated to the game with the number of posts he had racked up. At some point the old twitcher loses its total control of a body and allows most of us to again dust off our old toys. Better than diving in to the bottle (I am a man of experience here and quite an ambidextrous juggler).

Buck

BTW I have also missed Cobra very much with his fine art and map abilities.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 15
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 5:36:37 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated - I'm still lurking. 2 PBEMs and something called "work" do not leave much time for posting, though...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 5:51:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, that's great news!  I forced VSWG to out himself! 

Seriously, I had no idea you were still active, so that's just good news.  Losing the "old timers" is painful, so finding that they are still around and active is a treat.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 17
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 7:03:35 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paladin1dcs

While I'm new to the forum and game, I'm not new to the series.  I started playing WitP some time back and only recently upgraded to AE.  I have to say though, I'm so highly impressed with it to this point that I'm looking into other offerings as well.

Now just to find the other Johnny Rebs...

They're out there.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 18
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 7:32:32 PM   
morganbj

Yep. We're here.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 19
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 7:38:16 PM   
Paladin1dcs

Good to see that, I'm up in Virginia's occupied territory and Rebs are actually fairly rare up here.

Anyway, I have to admit that while I've lurked here for a short while now I'm still fairly new to the forum in general.  If I might ask some of you who have been here a while, who are some of the more experienced players on here?  I'm reading Canoerebel's AAR right now and am learning quite a bit, especially from the back and forth between Nemo and CR, but who else should I be watching?

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 20
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 8:35:10 PM   
Canoerebel

There are alot of AARs, but time constraints permit me to follow only a few. Thus there are many I'm not familiar with, but since paired AARs can be the most entertaining, I can recommend those kept by Cribtop and Cuttlefish. 

Post #: 21
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 9:25:40 PM   
Captain

I havent had the chance to try WITE yet. I would like to make a serious dent in WitpAE first!

I have both Witp and WitpAE, although I have never done more than dabble in both. However, with the latest patch and Beta, I am back for my umpteenth try at mastering this game.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 9:57:40 PM   
whippleofd

WiTE is broken. Plain and simple. Sure WiTP and AE had "issues" when they first came out, but nothing that said, "OK you can play up to this date and then the game is unplayable by one or the other side." Additionally, the major issues that we found while beta testing for the designers with WiTP and AE were fixed quite rapidly and in a manner that speaks of competency.

Played WiTE for two months before giving up. I go back and try again after each major "patch". The problem is that they only move the date of unplayability, not fix the game.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 10:29:23 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paladin1dcs

Good to see that, I'm up in Virginia's occupied territory and Rebs are actually fairly rare up here.

Anyway, I have to admit that while I've lurked here for a short while now I'm still fairly new to the forum in general.  If I might ask some of you who have been here a while, who are some of the more experienced players on here?  I'm reading Canoerebel's AAR right now and am learning quite a bit, especially from the back and forth between Nemo and CR, but who else should I be watching?

Read this thread to point you in the direction of the type of player you seek.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875832

Alfred

Post #: 24
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/3/2011 10:42:55 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

I followed the WITE forum for a bit to see if I would want the game. I have the previous games, WIR and War in the East and did enjoy them both. The problem with WITE appeared to be not only the complexity, but two equal opponents would quickly become bogged down in what is called a blanket war. More like war in the trenches from the Great War or war in China in AE. Heck, I already have that with AE.

In a nutshell the main problem with WitE

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 25
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/4/2011 12:21:50 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whipple

WiTE is broken. Plain and simple. Sure WiTP and AE had "issues" when they first came out, but nothing that said, "OK you can play up to this date and then the game is unplayable by one or the other side." Additionally, the major issues that we found while beta testing for the designers with WiTP and AE were fixed quite rapidly and in a manner that speaks of competency.

Played WiTE for two months before giving up. I go back and try again after each major "patch". The problem is that they only move the date of unplayability, not fix the game.

Whipple

WitE is most certainly NOT broken!

All scenarios are playable but with myriad of possibilities coupled with huge map and thousands of counters enabling various tactics and strategies many things can happen... this is something that is impossible to test in advance (just like UV, WitP and WitP-AE were not tested in human vs. human for full scenario duration before release)... the AI vs. AI testing is nice (and I have run literary hundreds of AI vs. AI grand campaigns and scenarios in WitE ALPHA/BETA development) but the true results can only be derived from human vs. human games...

Also WitE is extremely complicated piece of software that is continuously evolving and will continue to improve with each new version for months and years to come (stuff added in WitE will be used in upcoming WitW)... the development will never stop...

BTW, UV, WitP and WitP-AE are WEGO whilst WitE is IGYG - this is done on purpose - it would be impossible to have WitE (and upcoming WitW) in WEGO system...

Thus, in a nutshell, WitE is very different beast than UV, WitP and WitP-AE but it is most certainly worth playing and will be worth playing for months and years to come with most excellent playability!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 26
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/9/2011 7:42:24 PM   
Alpha77

Played European games for years and years while can only remember Silent Hunter as a Pacific game. So AE is probably (still) much more new to me and still ecxiting.... compared to eastern front which I know very good anyway. Also ships do NOT play a huge role at the russian front.......do they ?

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 27
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/9/2011 8:40:42 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I also almost purchased it, about a day away when a lot of complaints started to appear, mostly when people hit the blizzard.

Well the blizzard effects were already in WIR (the forerunner to WITE) and I also was puzzled by the severity of it on the first 1-2 tries of playing it... But after playing 2-3 games of WIR you can only come to one conclusion as the German player: You need to fall back quite much and build "winter quarters" in cities. The Russian will come after you, you have a chance to stop him then. When you accomplish this you can continue the advance when the normal winter/clear weather arrives. Also rain was a pain cause the front literally came to a standstill. Guess the blizzard and rain effects in WIR were a bit over the top, but you needed to adapt... no idea if these effects are simmilar in WITE though

Means the "no step back" order from Hitler like in reality will not work in game. Also consider how much the Germans suffered from this order (even if the front did not break)....

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 28
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/9/2011 9:38:55 PM   
Terminus

Why has a thread about AE's "Healthy Forum Presence" turned into a WitE-bashing thread? Seems stupid.

Oh, and WitE IS NOT BROKEN.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 29
RE: AE's Healthy Forum Presence - 8/9/2011 10:55:21 PM   
Nikademus

it might be broken........after all Sid hasn't fixed it yet.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE's Healthy Forum Presence Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI