Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) game over

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) game over Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) game over - 7/28/2011 11:39:12 PM   
Ketza

I know I have started a lot of AARS but only my game against 76mm has produced a long standing one. That game is going rather slow currently at the pace of a turn a week or so. It was started a long time ago before any of the patches and although I will continue to play it I think that game is going to be a tad boring for awhile because of the strategic situation that has developed. My AAR against Manstein had a future but I noobishly deleted our game by mistake while deleting the plethora of old games on my list like a noob.

I recently had another Axis player quit against me as Soviet on turn 10 so I had a game slot open up. I wont be starting any Soviet side games or AARs for awhile as its just too much of time sink to get a good one started just to have the other guy leave for whatever reason.

When you toss a game up on the server you never know who you will get. When I opened up the email this morning I saw my new opponent was Timmyab a fellow forum hound and seems knowledgeable in the way the game works. I am sure this game will be a test of whatever skills I have managed to accrue up to this point.

I also plan to be a bit more detailed so some of the newer players may pick up on a few tips along the way. People playing as Axis should know if you only kill 1200 Soviet planes on turn one you may have a few issues down the road

< Message edited by Ketza -- 8/18/2011 12:44:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/28/2011 11:48:53 PM   
Ketza

Air attacks turn one Rumanian air force results.

First I set my air doctrine. Minimum use is 5% or 0%. Airfield strikes I set at 75% with 50% fighter cover. I then turn off recon fighter cover.

I always start with Rumania and their airforce only and work my way north. I recon the bases in the Crimea and hit them first. I then recon the bases around Odessa and alternate between Kishinev and the base with recon planes as those are always a number one priority. Early Soviet recon is horrible and the more recon planes you can kill the longer it stays that way.

You do not want to use the German Heinkels in Rumania at first so click on Rumanian Airbases before you launch attacks. You get better results letting the computer select the squadrons for some reason so I do that.

This particular round was ok with around 500 airframes killed by the Rumanians acting solo.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/28/2011 11:51:43 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 2
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/28/2011 11:58:23 PM   
Ketza

German air results from Rumania

Recon the bases around Kiev then work your way across the Ukraine. Typically there are still a lot of Soviet high quality planes at Kishinev so I use the first Heinkel raid there. Usually this raid results in 200+ killed airframes but it is somewhat dependent on how your Rumanians did earlier.

At 5%/75% you can usually get a good 5 or so raids with around 10 less planes each raid. I hit the bomber base near Kiev and then just pick bases until the bombers run out. The recon base near Kiev typically can be wiped out with around 30 Heinkels.

Here are the results from the Heinkels added into the Rumanian results. As you can see this one bomber wing did very well killing 1000 airframes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 3
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:02:54 AM   
Ketza

AGS Luftwaffe results -

Pretty straight forward just bomb the biggest bases rinse and repeat. There is a bomber base near the marsh you want to hit early like the 3rd or 4th raid so you do not run out of long ranged planes. Also hit the base near the Hungarian border early. Not the same high percentage of success as the Rumanian solo wing but what happens is you run out of targets...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 12:04:05 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 4
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:07:08 AM   
Ketza

AGN and AGC Luftwaffe results - Recon around the map and hit the wingtip to wingtip bases. Hot targets you must not forget to hit early while you have long range is a bomber base near Vitebsk, recon base near Minsk and a recon base near Riga.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 5
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:10:01 AM   
Ketza

Final air results

You will get a few more kills from airbase overruns but not as many as you will later in the game because they are usually all dead already. You also wont get a lot of air to air kills because well they are all dead and not flying intercept or grounds support.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 6
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:18:06 AM   
Ketza

So that was the air war turn one. Some players have reported 6000+ airframes killed turn one but I am not clear how to get those kind of results. My average is around 5200-5300.

I also must add because Joel announced that the Riga gambit will be fixed with an adjustment to turn one captured port usage in an upcoming patch. Because of that announcement I wont be using the Riga Gambit any longer so I did not bomb the Island port as in the past. If you want to do that I suggest you make that your first air mission so you do not use up your long range planes before you want to try it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 7
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:27:37 AM   
Ketza

AGN jumps off.

Initial goals are:

1) Capture Riga

2) Get a bridgehead over the Daugava

3) Capture Kaunas and Vilnius

4) Capture smaller coastal ports

5) Pocket as many Soviets as possible even the routed units

6) Get the rail line started

7) Link with 3rd Panzer near Daugavpils

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 12:29:52 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 8
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:37:55 AM   
Ketza

4th Panzer army sector - 269th and 290th IDs blow the Soviets off the line to open a gap for 18th army and Panzer forces. In the past I reinforced these divisions with SUs but now I use the APs for beefing up the Panzer divsions to keep the Panzers CVs up. I try and stack the Panzers with pioneers and infantry/mg battalions. The motorized get stuggs, jags and flak. Later in the war in shuffle in a flak battalion with every mech unit as Soviet interdiction and counter attacks pick up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 9
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:42:25 AM   
Ketza

18th Army sector - 18th army pushes out as far as they can. Hasty attacks rule the day to try and herd the Soviets into a pocket with retreats. 58th ID heads up the coast clearing the way for 291 ID to take Liepaja. Then 36th motorized will take Ventspils. Great care is taken to not bump into any routed Soviets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 12:43:13 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 10
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:47:54 AM   
Ketza

4th Panzer army finishing moves - Riga is assaulted and falls after the Totenkof divisions opens a lane through the Soviet rear by 6th panzer.

I will miss the Riga gambit for 18th army but its really not a game breaker by any stretch. Most of the Soviets are firmly pocketed and the river is breached in 2 spots at Riga and near Rokiskis.

The 12-1 Panzer division in the picture is actually from 3rd Panzer that was switched to Mansteins Corps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 1:33:39 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 11
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:52:38 AM   
Ketza

AGN 16th army sector - 23rd Infantry corp from 9th army breaches the Soviet lines for 16th army and 3rd Panzer army advance. Later I will transfer this corp to 16th Army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 12
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:54:26 AM   
Ketza

AGN 16th army sector - Kaunas falls and 16th army makes great progress east. Railhead advances in both 18th and 16th army sectors.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 13
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 12:58:29 AM   
Ketza

While sifting through the rubble of battle members of the 6th Panzer division find a NKVD trophy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 14
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:02:11 AM   
Ketza

I will post a full AGN north shot when I get the turn back to see if the pockets hold. I am fairly certain they will and some 15 or divisions will be in the bag. Then its time to head further east.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 15
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:39:45 AM   
Ketza

AGC - Next up was 9th army that screened the Soviet bulge to the north with regiments and cleared out Soviets in the marshes near Lyck. Also a small penetration was made into the Soviet lines by 42nd corps to get a jump on pocket reduction. Security divisions saw combat trying to get their morale up to 60ish for the future.

Everything routed into the future pocket.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 1:40:16 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 16
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:44:20 AM   
Ketza

AGC 4th army - Used 4th army to attack Brest Litovsk and blow a hole open for 2nd Panzer. Most of 4th army shifted to the south and then east to shorten the distance east on turn 2. A small Brest area pocket is planned so movement was made with this in mind. One Panzer division is used to overrun a Soviet Air base to grab fuel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 17
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:47:03 AM   
Ketza

2nd Panzer army phase one - One reinforced Panzer corps races east to the vicinity of Baronivichi to form the southern wall of the central pocket and link up with the future moves of 3rd Panzer. Neman river is crossed at Stolbsky. AGC infantry move forward with no opposition in a good position to lurch forward turn 2.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 1:48:19 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 18
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:52:04 AM   
Ketza

AGC 3rd Panzer army moves - Link up with 4th Panzer to the north and 2nd Panzer to the south. 3rd Panzer infantry pushes forward. One Panzer division transferred to 4th Panzer that was out of HQ range across the Daugava. Panzers form a good corridor around the pocket and advance close to Minsk. Spearheads reach as far east as Krivici and Glubokoe.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/29/2011 1:53:58 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 19
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:57:17 AM   
Ketza

AGC 2nd Panzer phase 2 - Pocket is sealed by Brest with infantry and a Panzer division. Several Soviet tank divsions in the pocket which should hold. Units from 2nd panzer also go south to help seal Kovel pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 20
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:00:03 AM   
Ketza

AGS 17th army - Bare knuckles brawling as 17th army plows into the Soviet lines to push them back from Axis rail lines and out of their forts. Casualties are a bit heavy and several Axis divisions CV drop to 5. The rough hex is flanked and then pushed into the pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 21
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:03:26 AM   
Ketza

AGS 6th army - Kovel pocket is formed with help from 2nd panzer army. 2 Divisions from 9th army are railed in for support. 6th army units push towards Rovno and set up to help shore up the Lvow pocket from the east. Major Soviet armor forces are pushed west into the future pocket just to the south of the screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 22
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:06:47 AM   
Ketza

2nd panzer army phase 3 and 1st Panzer moves. 2 motorized divisions are transfered to 1st Panzer army with SUs and 46th panzer corps heads south into the fray to help set up the Lvow pocket corridor.

1st Panzer is ready for the dash south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 23
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:09:18 AM   
Ketza

heavy fighting as 1st Panzer with 2nd Panzer army help sets up the corridor. I am not anticipating a break in the ring but even if one occurs the bulk of the Lvow pocket will be destined for the scrap heap.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 24
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:13:41 AM   
Ketza

Destroyed Soviet units turn one.

Not as high as some games that attack everything in the way but the payoff is turn 2 with the pockets. I have played several Axis players that try and blow everything off the line. As the Soviet I find this to be a grave mistake as all those routed units come in handy turn 2 and 3 before substantial Soviet reinforcements arrive. Dive them into swamps and behind rivers and any time saved on turn one is lost later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 25
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:16:21 AM   
Ketza

Total losses turn one. I drove the Panzers pretty hard in the south and expected this number to be much higher. Most Panzer CVs in the south are down by 40-50% from multiple hasty attacks.

I have my fingers crossed all the pockets will hold. You never rally know as the Axis you just hope for the best.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 26
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:22:42 AM   
Ketza

My final moves were hauling fuel to the spearheads and doing a ton of recon deep across the front. I am pretty sure spotting units helps with interdiction so I wanted to spot as much as possible. I then cranked up interdiction to 175% to hopefully foil his movements a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 27
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:38:30 AM   
Michael T

I am not sure about cranking the interdiction up. I think it will mean fewer but heavier attacks. Smart Ivan will move around a bunch of HQ's and Airfields to suck up much of your available air on rubbish targets. I think 75% to 100% might be better. More overall attacks with less effect might be better. You have to ask what would be better? Hitting 1 division hard or 3 moderately.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 28
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:44:27 AM   
Ketza

That is a good point. I typically leave it around 50 most of the game but thought early on it may be better at a higher rate. There are a lot of HQs running around as you point out.

I usually do not even look at interdictions but planned on it this game after the bump up. Thanks for the advice.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 29
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:02:23 PM   
bigbaba

great AAR ketza. always good to learn more about own mistakes by reading other peoples oppening.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) game over Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI