Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/7/2011 9:09:07 PM   
Miller

Yet another example of what can (and usually will) happen if you split up the KB...........

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 121
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/7/2011 11:03:20 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Yet another example of what can (and usually will) happen if you split up the KB...........

I did not, and would not, say this .... but

+1

Pax

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 122
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/11/2011 3:29:19 PM   
Xargun

quote:

I just feel like it is so unproductive to keep it all together - when 2 CVs operating on their own can be used efficiently. Did the IJN Actually keep the KB together all the time ?

Xargun

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 123
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/11/2011 5:01:41 PM   
paullus99

Almost always - in fact, the times when they did split it up the results were bad:

1) Wake - CarDiv 2 (unharmed - but unopposed)
2) Coral Sea - CarDiv 5 (put out of action)
3) Midway - CarDiv 1 & 2 (sunk)

Japanese doctrine relied on massive force & they realized long before the US that for carriers to be effective, they needed to be applied en masse.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 124
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/11/2011 5:27:51 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Almost always - in fact, the times when they did split it up the results were bad:

1) Wake - CarDiv 2 (unharmed - but unopposed)
2) Coral Sea - CarDiv 5 (put out of action)
3) Midway - CarDiv 1 & 2 (sunk)

Japanese doctrine relied on massive force & they realized long before the US that for carriers to be effective, they needed to be applied en masse.

Hmmm looks like I need to gather my CVs together and kick some butt :)

Xargun

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 125
Update: Sept 6th, 1942 - 10/11/2011 5:35:58 PM   
Xargun

Its been a couple weeks in game and I have kept you up to date on the Carrier battle (loss) but not much else so here goes.

Burma

Burma has been very quiet - with an occasional night time raid on Magwe by a handful of bombers which is broken up by my nightly patrol of Oscars. I landed some paratroops at Cox's Bazar and took the base - recon had shown it was empty and i wanted to interrupt his supply line to Akyab where he has 4+ AUS units. I had planned on taking the base and then pulling the troops back but failed to realize there was no airfield there so I lost about 1/3 of the paratroop unit - but they are easily replaced in such small numbers - when he bombed it flat and then invaded with some AUS troops from Akyab.

Sumatra

Sumatra is clear of allied troops and I am in the process of removing the last few combat units in favor of the garrison units. The division will be moved to Java to assist in taking that island.

I am moving oil and fuel out of the bases as fast as I can and it does not seem fast enough (more on that later). I am also rebuilding the oil fields at Palembang and will be until the allies take it away from me or bomb it
completely (over 500 oil units destroyed).

Java

I have taken Batavia which gives me a good port on the island and I am moving southward. I have most of 2 divisions on the island and will be landing the rest of a third as soon as I can move them from Sumatra. This should be enough to take the island.

China

Same old... same old... Beating up Chinese units and forcing them away from my interiors. I took Tsyung via air assault 2 turns ago and have picked up the unit safely leaving me a base blocking any supply moving from Burma into China.

DEI

Not much here other than I paradropped on Dili and took it and am struggling to get supplies there under constant air attack from Koepang and Darwin. I bombarded Koepang killing a few planes on the ground and beating up the airfield but the allied planes keep coming. I don't have any fighters to spare from defense to fly LR CAP as B-17s from Darwin keep
hitting my airfield at Ambon and I'm having a hard time keeping them away.

Philippines

Everything here is going smoothly other than I can't move troops out of Manilla fast enough. I am also using small xAKLs to haul resources from the various islands to Manilla (using CS Convoys) and then using 50k+ convoys to haul resources from Manilla to Japan.

I am breaking up Naval Guard units to server as garrisons on the various bases instead of wasting full units which I need to recombine into Divisions.

Solomons

It has been quiet here. I landed engineers at 2 'dot' bases and am building them up. I hope Rob will come through here in 43 so we can have a good fight for a couple months.

South Pacific

Nothing of value is happening here. Rob keeps bombarding Canton Island with 2 DDs and seems to be convinced I don't have any troops there - but I do. His feeble bombardments just can't do any damage. Hopefully he'll bring some raiders in to attack like he did at Wake and I can crush them.

A CV TF from Truk was patrolling near the Marshalls and intercepted an allied SC TF. Only 2 CVs are in the TF and they failed to do any real damage to the small 4 ship TF - they did manage to put a torpedo and a couple bombs into the CL Mauritius and then run her down the next turn to finish her off - but I missed 2 CAs and a DD as well. Made me mad to watch torps hit and then be duds - at least 4 torps were duds in a row against the allied CAs.

Another Raider TF consisting of 2 AMCs located a pair of allied xAKLs and sunk them. They appeared to be heading East and were either empty or carrying supplies.

North Pacific

Not much going on here from my perspective. I am building forts at Parmushiro Jima as fast as I can and have reinforced it with a Bde and some Artilery.

Seems Rob took Amchitka and has landed troops at Attu as well and is building them up. I have 2 Divisions sitting in Tokyo preparing for Amchitka and am wondering if I want to take it back - not so much for the island itself but mostly to kill all the units there - including some SeaBees.

My subs have lost the damaged Allied CVs and have nothing to show for their efforts but a single crippled sub slowly creeping back to Japan.

Allied Ships Sunk:

xAK - 4
xAKL - 2
AMc - 7
AO - 2
TK - 1
CVL - 1
CL - 1

Japanese Ships Lost:

xAK - 2
xAKL - 1
CV - 2
CVL - 1
BB - 2

Strategy

With the loss of several Capital Ships (2 CVs, 1 CVL and 2 BBs) I have had to rethink my strategy. I am still planning on Invading Ceylon (after I checked to make sure I wouldn't activate the early reinforcements). I am still thinking of invading NW Oz, but that will probably not happen due to lack of Carriers now.

I am pushing hard in China now and am wondering how far beyond the Rail I should go ? Should I just secure the rail and then sit back or keep pushing until he stops me ? I am wondering about both ways .. If secure the Rail only I can send a few divisions into Burma to help against the British.

I am thinking of taking back Amchitka from Rob once his CVs are out of the area and my units are ready but is it worth it or should I divert those Divisions elsewhere ?

Economy

It is now September so I am beginning to build Helens and Tojos to replace my old Oscars and Sallies. I have 3 factories making Tojos now and 2 building Helens - while 1 still builds Sallies so I don't run out.

Both my Naval and Merchant Shipyard pools are decreasing by roughly 100 per day and I am letting them to decrease my stockpiles - see below.

My economy is going good but I am low on resources and fuel. I will be honest and didn't start actively hauling oil right from the start but I did resources. I currently have:

(Stockpile + locally produced - Industry Use)
Resource Stockpile: 94 days
Oil Stockpile: 190 days
Fuel Stockpile: 53 days

I have nearly all AOs and TKs out right now bringing in oil and fuel from the surplus in Palembang, Balikpapan and Singapore. I have never played a PBeM this far, are my levels normal ? Low ? High (I doubt) ? According to Tracker I am roughly 4500 fuel per day in the negative.

At this rate I need to really cut back on my fuel usage until I can build up some stockpiles in Japan again. Is this normal for Sept 42 to be this low ?

Total Stockpiles:

ManPower 874,192
Heavy Industry 238,900
Armaments 153,338
Vehicle 950
Naval Shipyard 24,924
Merchant Ship 7,537

Fuel (total) 3,129,370 (only roughly 700k in Japan)
Supplies (total) 4,272,371

< Message edited by Xargun -- 10/11/2011 5:36:53 PM >

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 126
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/12/2011 3:16:35 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

I just feel like it is so unproductive to keep it all together - when 2 CVs operating on their own can be used efficiently. Xargun

The problem is that CV's are so brittle. Very strong until they break, and then ....

So, yes, you like to split them as you can then accomplish so many more operations. However, once your opponent spots that, he does exactly what happened here: go for one of the parts hard. I was really concerned when I realized you had split the KB ... because a good opponent will look for exactly that. On the flip side, an IJ opponent can sandbag an allied opponent by giving the illusion that the KB has been split. That is usually how the IJ is able to bring the allied CV's out and crush them. Very tricky to do though ...

Pax

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 127
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/12/2011 4:53:40 PM   
Miller

I would accelerate most of your remaining CVs (at least Taiho and the first 3 Unyrus) using that large surplus of Naval Shipyard points. I went even further, accelerating all the remaining CVs from the start, at the expense of the 2 Yamato's and all the useless subs that come later in the game........

You should also be looking to build up your HI reserves as well, my game is a month ahead of you and I have roughly 550,000. One way to increase this is to turn off production of half your armament factories, you have enough surplus to last the rest of the game running at 50% of capacity. Check on a/c and engine production as well and halt any types that are soon to be replaced or you have a large reserve of.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 128
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/12/2011 5:05:54 PM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

I just feel like it is so unproductive to keep it all together - when 2 CVs operating on their own can be used efficiently. Xargun

The problem is that CV's are so brittle. Very strong until they break, and then ....

So, yes, you like to split them as you can then accomplish so many more operations. However, once your opponent spots that, he does exactly what happened here: go for one of the parts hard. I was really concerned when I realized you had split the KB ... because a good opponent will look for exactly that. On the flip side, an IJ opponent can sandbag an allied opponent by giving the illusion that the KB has been split. That is usually how the IJ is able to bring the allied CV's out and crush them. Very tricky to do though ...

Managed to pull it once. Early April -42, a dash by CVEs and all CSes across the Java Sea from East to West shooting everything on sight (with a D3A unit with them and both B5N1 and N2s...) plus showing BBs at Wake and Midway simultaneously --> Allied CV raid at Gilberts: Nimitz, meet the KB. I did know my opponent to be (as was to be seen) overly aggressive, though...

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 129
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/12/2011 11:20:04 PM   
Xargun

quote:

I would accelerate most of your remaining CVs (at least Taiho and the first 3 Unyrus) using that large surplus of Naval Shipyard points. I went even further, accelerating all the remaining CVs from the start, at the expense of the 2 Yamato's and all the useless subs that come later in the game........

You should also be looking to build up your HI reserves as well, my game is a month ahead of you and I have roughly 550,000. One way to increase this is to turn off production of half your armament factories, you have enough surplus to last the rest of the game running at 50% of capacity. Check on a/c and engine production as well and halt any types that are soon to be replaced or you have a large reserve of.

I have been accelerating all CVs from '43 & '44 and all 4 should arrive in mid 1943: Taiho, Ururyu, Amagi and Katsurgi. I have also been accelerating the CVEs (Kaiyo and Shinyo) and they will also arrive in 43 early. I am building Musashi as I have a lot of Naval Points. I am also accelerating all 4 CLs and every DD that I can. I have every RO subs halted that I can. I am also accelerating all Mine and Patrol ship that pops into the queue - they are cheap and most have ASW weapons which I can use.

I don't think I will accelerate the other CVs (can't right now anyways) as they won't arrive until mid-late 1944 and they will be pretty worthless in my opinion agains the overwhelming Allies air power.

I have been wondering about the Armaments and I will turn some off. My Engines and Aircraft are running good and the only Engine I may turn off would be the Mitsubishi Ha-32 as I have 900 in the pool. I have been monitoring my aircraft production and have been stopping them once the pool gets to a reasonable size (100 Betties / Nells, 200 Oscars / Zeros, etc...). I am just starting Tojos and Helens so I am pushing them out as fast as I can to replace Oscars and Sallies.

What are your stockpiles of: Resources, Oil, Fuel and Supplies ?

Xargun

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 130
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 3:48:33 AM   
Mike Solli

153k armaments! I'd shut it off altogether for awhile. You can build up your HI reserve pretty quickly that way. My goal around this time of the war was to have ~100k. When I reached that, I'd shut off enough to keep it there.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 131
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 5:11:15 AM   
PaxMondo

Yeah.  153K ARM is high.  Either you have built this up a bit too much OR you have been quite fortunate and have not suffered too many losses.  If the former, I agree with Major Mike, cut back for a while.  If the latter, then check Tracker.  If you haven't expanded your ARM much, you need to run it all along to have sufficient points in reserve for all of the units that show up later in 44/45.  You can check the chart in Tracker to see if you are ahead, behind, or on the curve you need to be.

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 132
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 2:08:48 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

153k armaments! I'd shut it off altogether for awhile. You can build up your HI reserve pretty quickly that way. My goal around this time of the war was to have ~100k. When I reached that, I'd shut off enough to keep it there.

I just shut off about half of the Armaments on last turn - so that will be like 300 factories - should net me another 1800 HI per turn (if my memory is correct and Armaments are 6 HI each). So I should be banking around 3500 a turn now.

Xargun

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 133
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 2:11:22 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Yeah.  153K ARM is high.  Either you have built this up a bit too much OR you have been quite fortunate and have not suffered too many losses.  If the former, I agree with Major Mike, cut back for a while.  If the latter, then check Tracker.  If you haven't expanded your ARM much, you need to run it all along to have sufficient points in reserve for all of the units that show up later in 44/45.  You can check the chart in Tracker to see if you are ahead, behind, or on the curve you need to be.

I haven't checked Tracker in a while on this regard. I have been running with probably half or more of my units set to receive replacements and I have been pretty non-caring about losses - especially on smaller units such as Naval Guards (which I regularly get beat up). I just want to make sure my units have as much firepower and newest equipment they can have.

What do you guys think of my other levels: Fuel, Supplies, etc... I am more worried about them to be honest.

Xargun

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 134
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 4:12:09 PM   
PaxMondo

You'd need to post all of the industry screens for us to be sure.  Just a few wild thoughts in advance:

Resources: looks like you got your convoys pretty well squared away.
Fuel/Oil:  This looks to me like you are re-fueling your fleets in the HI instead of the DEI or you are shipping fuel from the HI to bases.

Pax

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 135
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/13/2011 6:52:07 PM   
Xargun

quote:

You'd need to post all of the industry screens for us to be sure.  Just a few wild thoughts in advance:

Resources: looks like you got your convoys pretty well squared away.

Its normal to only have a 100 day or so surplus of resources ?

quote:

Fuel/Oil:  This looks to me like you are re-fueling your fleets in the HI instead of the DEI or you are shipping fuel from the HI to bases.

I did lot a of refueling of large areas from Japan (such as Truk, the Marshall Islands, etc...) before I had captured the big oil / fuel producers. Then I did very little hauling from Palembang the first month I controlled it due to constant air threat - and now have like 300k oil and 500k+ fuel sitting there. I have at least built the bases up enough (size 9+) so I don't lose fuel to spoilage but just need to haul it home now.

Which Industry screens would you like to see ?

Xargun

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 136
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/14/2011 12:30:48 AM   
Mike Solli

Xargun,

My only game stopped on 12 Jun 42. Here were my stats compared to yours on 6 Sep 42, so you have 3 months on me....

Manpower - my 592,224 to your 874,192 - Wow! Do you repair captured manpower centers? I don't. I'm not sure if manpower ever becomes an issue and assume it doesn't but I'm not sure. At any rate, I think you're good here.

Heavy Industry - my 304,489 to your 238,900. This has been addressed above and I think you're on the right track reducing armament production. My HI was banking about 4k a day.

Armaments - my 101,609 to your 153,338. I had reached my goal of 100k about a month earlier and had reduced production. Unfortunately, I don't remember how much I reduced it by. I was going up by ~100 a turn on average.

Vehicles - my 7985 to your 950. I had problems initially and had to increase my vehicle factories to 150. That did the trick. If I recall, I was going to attempt to keep the pool at >10k and then reduce production. I think you need to increase vehicle production. You may need it if you take heavy losses and want to rebuild the units.

Naval Shipyard - my 270 to your 24,924. I didn't change the naval shipyard points from the starting 1404. This next game I'm considering increasing it to ~1100. The ships I accelerated, I did from the moment they could be accelerated (1 additional point per turn) to the moment they cost 2 additional points per turn, and then switched them back to normal. I accelerated CVs and DDs. I shut off only a few Ro class subs as well as the Shinano. You're addressing this huge surplus so you should be ok. That's definitely a place where you don't want a surplus. I try to keep 250-500 in the pool for those times when something new reaches the point where it starts using points.

Merchant Shipyard - my 54,561 to your 7,537. I don't accelerate any merchants. Tracker showed me that we'll need the points later in the war so I let them ride. Lots of people don't like to take ships late because they're just Allied VPs but I don't look at VPs in the game. I just play it. If I don't want a particular hull, I'll shut it off with one day remaining. I might just need it later. You never know.

Fuel - my 3,283,345 to your 3,129,370. My fuel usage was finally starting to level off. I think you're pretty much in the same boat.

Supply - my 4,105,576 to your 4,272,371. Pretty similar. My supply was rising so I was happy. I'm going to be more aggressive in my next game because my supply rarely, if ever decreased. I pay close attention to this so I don't over extend the economy.

Hope this helps a bit.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 137
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/14/2011 1:28:05 AM   
Xargun

quote:

Xargun,

My only game stopped on 12 Jun 42. Here were my stats compared to yours on 6 Sep 42, so you have 3 months on me....

Manpower - my 592,224 to your 874,192 - Wow! Do you repair captured manpower centers? I don't. I'm not sure if manpower ever becomes an issue and assume it doesn't but I'm not sure. At any rate, I think you're good here.

At first I would repair some of the MP but soon realized it was a waste of Supplies so I stopped. I am increasing by about 4k ManPower a day.

quote:

Heavy Industry - my 304,489 to your 238,900. This has been addressed above and I think you're on the right track reducing armament production. My HI was banking about 4k a day.

Looks like my HI is leveling out at 3k a turn - it bounces around some which I attribute to my Aircraft and/or Engines getting a lucky roll.

quote:

Armaments - my 101,609 to your 153,338. I had reached my goal of 100k about a month earlier and had reduced production. Unfortunately, I don't remember how much I reduced it by. I was going up by ~100 a turn on average.

Right now my Armaments is increasing around 300 a turn. Maybe I need to tone it down a bit more.

quote:

Vehicles - my 7985 to your 950. I had problems initially and had to increase my vehicle factories to 150. That did the trick. If I recall, I was going to attempt to keep the pool at >10k and then reduce production. I think you need to increase vehicle production. You may need it if you take heavy losses and want to rebuild the units.

I have increased my vehicles several times and am currently at 210. I did good on vehicles until May or so and then have been using up my pool almost every turn. I have bought a lot of Armor from China / Kwangtung and have it sitting in Burma to counteract the british armor threat and almost every unit needed fleshed out and then upgraded so I am consuming a lot of armor.

quote:

Naval Shipyard - my 270 to your 24,924. I didn't change the naval shipyard points from the starting 1404. This next game I'm considering increasing it to ~1100. The ships I accelerated, I did from the moment they could be accelerated (1 additional point per turn) to the moment they cost 2 additional points per turn, and then switched them back to normal. I accelerated CVs and DDs. I shut off only a few Ro class subs as well as the Shinano. You're addressing this huge surplus so you should be ok. That's definitely a place where you don't want a surplus. I try to keep 250-500 in the pool for those times when something new reaches the point where it starts using points.

My current Naval Shipyard Pool is decreasing by ~300 a turn and I am accelerating tons of ships so I am happy with this.

quote:

Merchant Shipyard - my 54,561 to your 7,537. I don't accelerate any merchants. Tracker showed me that we'll need the points later in the war so I let them ride. Lots of people don't like to take ships late because they're just Allied VPs but I don't look at VPs in the game. I just play it. If I don't want a particular hull, I'll shut it off with one day remaining. I might just need it later. You never know.

My Merchie shipyard pool is slowly decreasing ~75 a turn and I am only accelerating the CVEs (which I believe still use Merchant points). Not sure if I should convert or expand some Merchie yards as I have dozens of TKs in the queue and not sure I will be able to build them all.

quote:

Fuel - my 3,283,345 to your 3,129,370. My fuel usage was finally starting to level off. I think you're pretty much in the same boat.

My fuel over the last 10 turns or so has been +10k a day (overall) and I think my strategy to cut back on my aggressive CV / BB patrols and bombardments is helping as they consume a lot of fuel.

quote:

Supply - my 4,105,576 to your 4,272,371. Pretty similar. My supply was rising so I was happy. I'm going to be more aggressive in my next game because my supply rarely, if ever decreased. I pay close attention to this so I don't over extend the economy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah my supply is good I thought. I keep sending out loads of 50-100k of supply on my resource runs and my supplies just keeps climbing. I only see a decrease after I retool my Engines / Aircraft and then only for a month or so.

Everything helps I have never played this late so its all new territory for me and knowing I am doing ok helps me out. What do you think about my idea of taking back Amchitka and Attu mostly to deny his use and to kill all of his engineers there ? I am also currently sitting on 3k+ PPs which I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 divisions out of Japan or Kwangtung to throw into an attack somewhere. I am also moving all the smaller units into position to recombine back into Divisions so I have their increased strength.

Xargun

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 138
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/14/2011 2:12:45 AM   
Mike Solli

Lets see.....

Armaments - Yeah, I'd shut more off as well.

Vehicles - Wow, 210?! Geez, I'd hate to have to build more factories but it sure looks that way. In May you got the units to flesh out 2 "Tank" divisions. That's probably what ate up your vehicle points.

Merchant Shipyard - I'd recommend against converting yards. I think you should always expand. The cost is the same (I think).

I always buy units out of Kwantung. They're not going to do anything at all until Aug 45. I think there's a greater chance of the restricted units in Japan seeing combat (in Japan) than those in Kwantung.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 139
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/15/2011 1:53:19 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Lets see.....

Armaments - Yeah, I'd shut more off as well.

I shut more off last turn and now for the first time I can remember my Armaments went down in a turn where I didn't receieve new units It dropped about 40 points. I will watch it over the next week or so and adjust as needed - but ~50 a turn negative would be fine with my current stockpile -- heck 100 a turn would take a long time to whittle down my stockpile.

quote:

Vehicles - Wow, 210?! Geez, I'd hate to have to build more factories but it sure looks that way. In May you got the units to flesh out 2 "Tank" divisions. That's probably what ate up your vehicle points.

Yeah that and heavy losses in Burma - Rob pounded several armor units into about nothing once or twice during the fighting for Mandalay and Shwebo.

quote:

Merchant Shipyard - I'd recommend against converting yards. I think you should always expand. The cost is the same (I think).

Yeah I will look into expanding my Merchant Shipyards some although that will take more HI away while I'm trying to start conserving it. I suppose I can expand here and turn off more Armaments to compensate for the HI.

quote:

I always buy units out of Kwantung. They're not going to do anything at all until Aug 45. I think there's a greater chance of the restricted units in Japan seeing combat (in Japan) than those in Kwantung.

I will look through Kwangtung for some likely candidates and get them moving to a port of rail junction for use elsewhere.

Xargun

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 140
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/15/2011 2:56:21 PM   
PaxMondo

You know the rule of thumb for IJ VEH is to double them to 150.  The catch is you can't predict where your losses will be.  Heavier losses in your armored units and that just isn't enough.  You're already at 212 and short.  Looks like you've been taking higher than normal losses with your mobile units.  Not a problem, only an observation.  So, yes, agree with Mike you need to increas them more ...

Pax

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 141
RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle - 10/15/2011 8:36:43 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

I will look through Kwangtung for some likely candidates and get them moving to a port of rail junction for use elsewhere.

Xargun

90 Infantry Regiment and 20 Division are two good candidates.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 142
Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/21/2011 11:22:19 PM   
Xargun

Its been a couple weeks in game since my last update so here we go.

Burma

Burma has been very quiet - with an occasional night time raid on Magwe by a handful of bombers which is broken up by my nightly patrol of Oscars.
I am slowly upgrading my Oscars to Tojos and have been fielding them sparingly - they are definately an improvement and seem to be a match for the
British Hurricanes Rob is fielding. I have captured all of the 'Southern' half of Burma and the entire rail and am trying to decide if I want more or
not.

I am rebuilding Divisions at Rangoon from their parts and am prepping them for the planned invasion of Ceylon. I am prepping divisions for Trincomlee
in the hopes if Rob sees that he will move units from the rest of the island to that base thinking I am invading there. I plan on invading on the far
side at one of the smaller bases and simply swarm several divisions across the beaches. I am thinking 3 Divisions plus support should be enough to
take the island. Once its occupied I can use it as an airbase to bomb India as well as a spring board for other raids. The bases in Ceylon should
provide lots of targets for my paratroopers especially with the range of some of my transports.

My subs also caught an xAKL trying to resupply his troops at Akyab. My sub surfaced and sunk the transport with a combination of deck guns and torpedoes.

Sumatra

Palembang is slowly rebuilding the oil fields and continuously shipping both oil / resources to Singapore - and then to Japan. While large Tanker
fleets call periodically to haul fuel home as well.

Java

My conquest of Jave is continuing with the current roadblock at Bandoeng. Rob has roughly a division worth of troops (6-8 units) here and I am
slowly grinding them down. Constant air attacks have been dwindling their strength and now I have 3 Divisions there attacking. The base should
fall soon. Then I will march to the small base to the south and finish off the northern half of the island. My advance troops have already cut the
island in half and have occupied 3 bases (and 1 dot base) to the south near Soerbaja preparing for the eventual assault.

China

I am slowly hammering two large stacks of chinese troops - one roughly 2000 AV and the other 1500 AV and once those fall I will push into the last
couple chinese-held bases on the rail line (Changsha, Ichang, etc...). I expect by end of October the rails will be mine and I will be deciding
whether to push further inland or not.

DEI

I am moving more troops to Dili to help take Koepang and secure that island. I am also sending several construction units there to begin the building
of airfields. I am trying to decide if I want level 4 or just level 2 - whether I want to raid norther OZ (will need level 4s) or just for defense
(will need level 2s).

B-17s from Darwin have been hitting Dili constantly aiming at the airfield there which is funny as the paratroopers have already moved out of the
base and taken the base to the east and are sitting there while B-17s bomb an empty base.

Philippines

Everything is garrisoned as needed and the larger units are off to new homes. I am using a bunch of xAKLs and CS Convoys to ferry resources from the
smaller islands to Manila and then hauling large loads of resources (50-80k) at a time back to Japan.

Solomons

Nothing but building going on here. Forts and Airfields are whats being built for future defense.

South Pacific

I have taken Funafuti and Vaitupu as an early warning station. I am thinking of placing small AF Coys there with some patrol aircraft to keep an
eye out.

My 2 AMCs found some US Tankers escorted by a couple DDs near Taihiti and a brief fight ensued. My AMCs took a few minor hits and retreated - I am
not happy. There was around 12 Tankers carrying fuel waiting to be sunk and my ships ran. Then did manage to sink 2 and heavily damage 2 others
before running - I looked at the TF commander and he is pretty pitiful so it was my fault. My other AMCs are fully repaired and when these 2 return to
Truk and repair I will send out a larger raider force of 4 or 5 to prey on what seems to be Rob's undefended convoys.

North Pacific

I have 2+ Divisions of troops planning for the assault on Attu and Amchitka and plan on working that assault soon. I believe Rob still has a lot of
engineers there and killing them will be nice. I am also prepping a brigade for the garrison.

OZ

My subs have located a British TK fleet moving NW from OZ compeltely unescorted. I cannot tell if they are empty or full of fuel but so far I have
crippled 1 and sunk 2 more. I need to pay more attention to the combat phase and see if they get the fuel cargo burning message or not. Either way
there are like 10 Tankers here that need killing. I am targeting all 3 subs I have in the area into the fight. Hopefully I can get a couple more
encounters.

Allied Ships Sunk:

xAKL - 1
xAK - 1
TK - 4
AO - 1
DD - 1
SS - 1

Japanese Ships Lost:

xAKL - 1
xAK - 1
PB - 1

Strategy

My next few operations will consist of...

1. Finishing the occupation of Java and the islands north of OZ. I am not sure I will do anything with those islands, but I want to deny them to
Rob for any sort of bases to launch attacks into my underbelly as it were.

2. Retake Amchitka and Attu Islands and garrison them and build up forts. This is to mostly deny their use to Rob in the coming years.

3. Occupy Ceylon. This will make him worry about his flank in India and may cause him to pull back out of northern Burma if I threaten an invasion
to cut those forces off.

Economy

All of my resource stockpiles are increasing despite heavy usage of them and expansion of HI. I am just finishing a slight expansion of my Merchant Shipyards in an attempt to offset the 75+ point loss each turn that I currently suffer.

Total Stockpiles:

ManPower 919,625
Heavy Industry 300,584
Armaments 153,450
Vehicle 1330
Naval Shipyard 19,983
Merchant Ship 6160

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 143
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/21/2011 11:36:28 PM   
Mike Solli

Xargun, how are the Oscars working on night CAP? I never tried that before.

You've got 20k Naval Shipyard points! You need to accelerate some things. CVs and DDs come to mind.....

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 144
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/21/2011 11:54:09 PM   
Xargun

quote:

You've got 20k Naval Shipyard points! You need to accelerate some things. CVs and DDs come to mind.....

The Oscars don't shoot much down at night but I think their mear presence really screws up his accuracy and I do shoot a few of them down. his night bombings have basically been ineffectual other than allowing us both to skill up.

I am accelerating nearly everything I can (within reason) and my Naval points are dropping by several hundred a turn.

Xargun

< Message edited by Xargun -- 10/21/2011 11:55:58 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 145
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/22/2011 12:48:58 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

The Oscars don't shoot much down at night but I think their mear presence really screws up his accuracy and I do shoot a few of them down. his night bombings have basically been ineffectual other than allowing us both to skill up.

Same with my experience (any fighter on night ops will help). Nates work great in this role (early night fighter). All you need is something up and the bombers will usually fly off.

This works UNTIL you get late game with those B-29's and high exp allied pilots. Then, forget it. They will plow right through your ineffectual fighter screen.

Playing Downfall, I have not yet found a good answer to B-29's on night raids. Even when my "night" fighters out number them 2:1, they still press home their attacks.

Pax

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 146
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/22/2011 12:51:09 AM   
Mike Solli

Wow, a use for Nates. Never thought of that....

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 147
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/22/2011 9:09:58 AM   
koniu

quote:

Playing Downfall, I have not yet found a good answer to B-29's on night raids. Even when my "night" fighters out number them 2:1, they still press home their attacks.

I think there is no good answer. You can`t fight them in air, you can`t run away of them because they have huge range, and you can`t attack there bases because in 45 US Navy and Air Force are to strong

< Message edited by koniu -- 10/22/2011 9:12:22 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 148
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/22/2011 2:42:37 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

I think there is no good answer. You can`t fight them in air, you can`t run away of them because they have huge range, and you can`t attack there bases because in 45 US Navy and Air Force are to strong

You may be right, but I'm trying to fit my "Nemo" hat on to see if I can come up with something. So far, the dang thing isn't fitting at all! Everything I've tried fails and I still get obliviated.

Pax

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 149
RE: Update: Sept 24th, 1942 - 10/22/2011 2:44:40 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Wow, a use for Nates. Never thought of that....

Well, you have a lot of them for quite a while, even with an Oscar build rate of 150/month. The biggest downside of using them at night is that you get almost no training done ... but they will protect key assests (oil fields) from night attack without "wasting" an Oscar or Zero unit in that role.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/22/2011 2:46:05 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Quick Update: August 26th, 1942 - CV Battle Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI