Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win 7 Pro AND matrix games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> RE: Win 7 Pro AND matrix games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win 7 Pro AND matrix games - 7/27/2011 9:40:31 PM   
TonyE

My approach most closely follows #3 but I take one more step towards paranoia and don't use spaces in the directory names.
C:\Games\H3ANW
C:\Games\HC2002
C:\Games\HCE
C:\Games\CaW
C:\Games\WitP

This has been my approach since Windows 95, before then games sometimes wouldn't work anywhere except their hard-coded default path. 

One other nugget of gold is that I install and run all of my games as a user in the Administrators group and I turn off UAC.

The most common problem installing to Program Files and Program Files (x86) is the inability in recent Windows versions to write to those directories.  So if you game is installed there and wants to make a saved game file or some other change, the save may fail, the game may crash, etc.  Hence the C:\Games\... approach.

Final nugget is that with Windows 7 Pro you are granted a license to use Windows XP Mode which is a Windows XP license running in MS Virtual PC.  Google "Windows XP Mode" for more information.  That can be used for particularly stubborn wargames that don't want to run on Windows 7 or won't run on a 64-bit operating system.

my 2 cents

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> RE: Win 7 Pro AND matrix games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI