Matrix Games Forums

Civil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now available
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some spelling errors in map descriptions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Some spelling errors in map descriptions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some spelling errors in map descriptions - 7/24/2011 10:41:46 PM   
kweniston

Some spelling errors I noticed in the map descriptions, maybe to be corrected in the next update:

- Nederwetten: execpt => except
- Geelders: St. Odenrode => St. Oedenrode
- Groesbeek: Kranenberg => Kranenburg
- Elst: Huissien => Huissen
- Driel: althoug => although
- South Oosterbeek: Septmeber => September
- North Oosterbeek: divison => division
- Honinhutie: Honinghutie => Honinghutje
- Papendalsche: Papendalsche => Papendalsche veld

Thanks for looking into it.

Kwen

< Message edited by kweniston -- 7/25/2011 5:54:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Some spelling errors in map descriptions - 7/25/2011 1:48:25 AM   
kweniston

I'm also looking into the "Papendalsche" as a map title. A '-se' or '-sche' suffix usually implies a possessive adjective in Dutch (I'm a Dutch native speaker). The noun would then be "Papendal", although I'm not sure if there is such a place/field/heath. For example, Ginkel Heath is "Ginkelse heide" in dutch. There is at least no such thing as just the 'Papendalse/sche' (with no other noun). Google is of little help (to me at least) anyone care to enlighten?

< Message edited by kweniston -- 7/25/2011 1:49:09 AM >

(in reply to kweniston)
Post #: 2
RE: Some spelling errors in map descriptions - 7/25/2011 8:53:10 AM   
Javolenus

Hi There,

I've bought several Matrix/Slitherine games recently and noticed typos and even grammatical errors in most. The Matrix website also suffers from language issues, e.g. see the description of CC: The Longest Day:

[QUOTE]

Now in this classic top down real time tactical simulation, you take command of either US or German forces and either command the forces of the Allied Expeditionary Force or German forces and either successfully execute the worlds largest ever invasion to liberate Europe from Nazi occupation or defend Hitler’s Atlantic Wall. In this highly enhanced rebuild based on the critically acclaimed and award winning Atomic Games Close Combat series of games, you are in command!

[UNQUOTE]

I'm a professional freelance copy-editor and proof-reader. If any devs/web masters need help, I charge £15 per hour or £12 per 1,000 words. I can work on any text, including manuals. Most of my work is for history publishers.

Having got that out of the way, I must say that, given the price of Matrix games (on average 10 times that of, say, Steam) I would not expect to find so many typos/textual errors. It may seem like a minor point but, for me, it really detracts from a game's 'cred' when I see typos and errors, as well as stylistic inconsistency.

There was an interesting article on the BBC website recently (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14130854), proposing that online traders lose millions (collectively) per annum due to typos and language errors.

< Message edited by Javolenus -- 7/25/2011 8:57:35 AM >

(in reply to kweniston)
Post #: 3
RE: Some spelling errors in map descriptions - 7/25/2011 2:28:13 PM   
RD_Oddball

Hey Kweniston, thanks for the report. We have a couple people on the team who live in the area who have checked the map spellings for us. Will verify that the instances you've reported are following what has suggested as correct spellings.

Javolenus, if you're interested in making a serious bid for work you'll do better to submit your offer through the proper channels under the "corporate > contact us" link here on the Matrix site. That way the right folks will be sure to see it and it'll be given proper consideration.

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 4
Spell check is still a secret weapon - 7/25/2011 2:55:57 PM   
xe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: kweniston
I'm also looking into the "Papendalsche" as a map title. A '-se' or '-sche' suffix usually implies a possessive adjective in Dutch (I'm a Dutch native speaker). The noun would then be "Papendal", although I'm not sure if there is such a place/field/heath. For example, Ginkel Heath is "Ginkelse heide" in dutch. There is at least no such thing as just the 'Papendalse/sche' (with no other noun). Google is of little help (to me at least) anyone care to enlighten?

Judging by this lone placename on a Dutch map (top right in yellow), the missing possessed noun appears to be "Veld".

re: professional copy writing - I dont think the continued (re-)production the CC series could support a professional development staff. COI, WAR, TLD, & LSA probably wouldnt have been economically feasible without the contributions of numerous un/under-paid volunteers. Inevitably such efforts are going to be of inconsistent quality. But even the "pros" can occasionally screw things up just as badly.

< Message edited by xe5 -- 7/25/2011 2:56:20 PM >

(in reply to kweniston)
Post #: 5
RE: Spell check is still a secret weapon - 7/25/2011 5:16:01 PM   
Javolenus

Hi RD_Oddball!

And thanks for the tip. As it happens, I already tried to make contact via the "corporate/contact us" route but so far haven't heard back. Judging from xe5's comment above, I probably never will!

< Message edited by Javolenus -- 7/25/2011 5:21:24 PM >

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 6
RE: Spell check is still a secret weapon - 7/25/2011 5:54:32 PM   
kweniston

I found only one (!) google hit which explains it: Papendal is a small valley (dal in Dutch), created by erosion. There were several of these erosive 'dals', such as Merckendal, Pollendal.

So, a correct name would be Papendal itself, or Papendalsche veld (field) would be fitting.

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 7
RE: Some spelling errors in map descriptions - 8/28/2011 8:13:26 PM   
kweniston

Can someone block this user?! The spam is disrupting the forum, as said in other topics.
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Some spelling errors in map descriptions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI