Hello, recently addicted DW player with a couple of prolly obvious querries to old hands..
1. I have looked all over the forums but when the question is answered I still don't get it - how do I make sure my ship/base designs are upgraded, instead of being completly replaced by default designs? Yes I am doing both - modding designs but allowing the AI to propose new designs - simply because I am only interesting in modding two designs at the moment: better explorers (in particular longer range, quicker turns, better acceleration) and better gas mining bases (like to use them as FARPs but also would like to give them a blaster or two for local pest control). It seems my designs never stay current - I would love to make one the "basic" design and just have that one upgraded - is it possible, or would I have to go total manual? That would really ruin the game for me...
2. I found some of the tips on this forum very useful - in particular I now build one massive "Earth Port" large space port on my homebase to start with as well as a dedicated large custom rearch facility. My research facilitiy works like a charm, and my mega-Port can churn out fleets of ships - but the bottleneck these days seem to be the colony ships. They are still produced *outside* of any port facilities, so therefor my megaport does not help the matter at all? Any tips on this bottleneck?
3. As per someone's suggestions I like to build a "basic port" - stripped down small port - on every colony. However some planets would prolly soon need to graduate to the "Normal" small port - i.e. with armour and weapons - but I am not sure I can upgrade from one small port to another small port?
4. I like to use large invasion fleets - i.e. invade, reload troops, next target. Part of my rational is that the troops "gain experience", therefore improve, besides suffering less casulities in the original invasions as they are so overwellming (i.e. 8 vs. 1 divison). True?
5. Auto exploring a sector with a couple of ships can mean all those ships going to one star together. Any tricks around this?
6. Does the "zero tax" growth spurt work in Shakturi as well? Did not seem to notice it wih human colonies..
7. Also, some of the suggestions on how to "game" good relations with aliens - such as give present, offer map, etc. does not seem to work. In particular I give a (say 6K) present, then offer my territorial map...and they only have 2K left (?) despite the fact that no time had gone by between trades.
While I have gone over the "tips and tricks" thread in detail any more suggestions are welcome!