Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at Palembang (No Dr. Hal please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at Palembang (No Dr. Hal please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at Pale... - 7/22/2011 1:03:07 AM   
pws1225

I'm playing my first PBEM game as Japan and have just taken Palembang. Damage to the Oil facilities are 270 with 630 still intact. Refineries have 306 damage with 714 intact. The question is whether it is a prudent investment to repair the Oil/Refinery facilities at a cost of 1,000 supply per damage point? I seem to remember a thread (or perhaps a discussion in an AAR) about the tradeoff between repairing or not repairing the damage but can't find it now. Certainly, Oil is the Empire's life blood, and Palembang is THE prize to win, so repairing that production seems like the right thing to do. On the otherhand, spending almost 600,000 supply points to get the job done is no trivial sum.

I would be very interested in hearing the opinions of more experienced JFBs on the wisdom of repairing these facilities. So far, the Japanese economy is functioning well (I took Mike Solli's advice on this), but now am stumped on whether the better option is to repair or not repair. All advice is welcome.

This is a Scenario 1 game and we are in early February, 1942. Thanks in advance,

Paul
Post #: 1
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 1:05:12 AM   
PaxMondo

According to Mike, I repair all oil faclities. refineries, it depends.

Pax

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 1:20:53 AM   
WLockard

I would say repair the oil, but not the refineries.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 1:44:32 AM   
DivePac88

Don't repair any damaged refining capability anywhere in the DEI, any excess oil should be ship back to the Home Island refineries. Your spare empire-wide refining capacity is in the Home Islands, and you will never ship enough oil to fully supply them.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 4
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 1:47:03 AM   
Mynok

What they all said. Repair oil. Ship to home islands.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 5
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 3:03:46 AM   
pws1225

Thanks guys. The verdict appears unanimous. Repair the Oil, forget the Refineries.

Regards, Paul

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 3:34:20 AM   
Numdydar

As I said in another post, I repair everything as in RL Japan would have done so. Also, I rarely ship oil anywhere as shipping fuel is far more efficient given the limited number of tankers. But that is just me  I do stop repairing when the Allies start bombing cities like in Burma and destroying the facilities.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 7
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 4:11:03 AM   
ny59giants

I will disagree slightly from my fellow Japanese Economics Ministers in repairing both oil and refineries. Why?? While oil is important, having the actual fuel is more important. You can have all the oil you want, but without fuel you cannot get HI. IMO, you need to check (especially with Tracker) to ensure you have enough excessive refinery capacity to get that oil converted to fuel.

I would repair the oil first, but don't rule out any repairs to the refineries at Palembang. You have to ship the oil to Japan, but then you need to send back fuel. I like having the fuel closer to the front.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 8
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 6:50:03 AM   
Bliztk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I will disagree slightly from my fellow Japanese Economics Ministers in repairing both oil and refineries. Why?? While oil is important, having the actual fuel is more important. You can have all the oil you want, but without fuel you cannot get HI. IMO, you need to check (especially with Tracker) to ensure you have enough excessive refinery capacity to get that oil converted to fuel.

I would repair the oil first, but don't rule out any repairs to the refineries at Palembang. You have to ship the oil to Japan, but then you need to send back fuel. I like having the fuel closer to the front.

He has 731 intact refineries in Palembang.

Enough for supplying SRA

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 9
RE: JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at ... - 7/22/2011 2:59:29 PM   
Shark7

The thing I don't repair is light industry. In fact, not only do I not repair it, I've gotten to the point of targeting it pre-invasion so I don't have it sucking up my resources which are better shipped back to the home islands. Refineries are probably worth repairing, what oil isn't turned to fuel on the spot can be sent back to Japan. Remember it takes fuel to ship fuel. Which is better shipping fuel that is already produced from Palembang to Truk, or having to ship oil from Palembang to Tokyo, then shipping that fuel from Tokyo to Truk?

It's about efficiency.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> JFB Question: Repairing Oil/Refinery Facilities at Palembang (No Dr. Hal please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI