Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kentucky

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Kentucky Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kentucky - 7/21/2011 11:26:51 PM   
BK6583

I'm only in my first game as the Union. I waited until Sep '61 to invade to avoid the PP penalties (mercifully the South seemed uninclined to invade itself) and got most of the state, except for the two mountain regions in the southeast part of the state (names escape me). I know from the manual that mountain regions cost a LOT of movement, but I believe the manual also states that any activated leader and its attached units can always move at least one region. I have been unable to advance into those two mountain regions since I invaded (it's now Feb '63). No matter if I put Sheridan there, or Lyon, or Grant, and they activate, I can't move into those regions, regardless if I'm pure cavalry or pure infantry or pure militia (the number of units doesn't seem to matter). When I first invaded, I was actually able to advance into several regions in Kentucky with just a mounted militia unit that wasn't even attached to a leader. At any rate, it seems no matter what combination of active leaders or unit types I try, I can't move into those two regions. What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Kentucky - 7/22/2011 11:27:56 PM   
Treefrog

Forget mountains or other bad terrain that don't contain roads or railroads. They difficult to move into, let alone move through to something beyond. They are expensive as a supply drain on your troops. They never have the strategic objects you just focus on: enemy population areas and factories.

In Ky there are some towns on the road areas. Read the movement point cost on the back of the manual or in the Adobe rules set contained in the program. If you are having problems with it, go back to the tutorial. If you're still having problems, forget about it for now. Move somewhere else. Eventually, probably driving to school or work, the answer will hit you like a thunderbolt.

Have fun.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: Kentucky - 7/23/2011 3:34:16 PM   
BK6583

Treefrog,

Thank your replies - very helpful. Unless I'm missing something, not having those two mountain regions is costing me half the state, i.e., the American flag symbol is shown only for the top 'button'. The bottom button is grey (the AI hasn't moved into those regions either.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 3
RE: Kentucky - 7/24/2011 3:13:14 AM   
Treefrog

quote:

Unless I'm missing something, not having those two mountain regions is costing me half the state, i.e., the American flag symbol is shown only for the top 'button'. The bottom button is grey (the AI hasn't moved into those regions either.

What regions are they? Not to offend, you might be missing something.

Rule 15.2 states you only have to control regions in Kentucky that contain population centers. All population centers in Kentucky are either on railroads or roads, so you should not have problems moving into them.

Most population centers all in areas of the game map contain roads (except northwest west Texas, southwest Missouri and maybe another random one I don't recall).

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 4
RE: Kentucky - 7/24/2011 3:01:28 PM   
BK6583

Treefrog,

You're answering my questions - no offense taken whatsoever! I have every region in Kentuck occupied with Union troops except Knott and Pike. The political screen only shows the top 'button' with an American flag; the bottom 'button' is 'neutral'. I just assumed that I had to occupy those two regions to get Kentuck to show up with both 'buttons' showing an American flag. EXCEPT that I can't get any unit type other a pure leader unit to enter either of those two regions. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to move into New Madrid, MO either.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Kentucky Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI