Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Empire101

Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis)

Post by Empire101 »

'You have only to kick in the door, and the whole structure will come crashing down'

With those words ringing in the Generals ears, Barbarossa began.

Here below are the dispositions of Army Groups North, Centre and South at the end of week 3.

The game began with the usual encirclements around Lvov and Minsk and by the end of the Third week, the Velikaye River south of Pskov has been breached, Mogilev has been invested by Army Group Centre , and the Lvov pocket has been crushed apart from three or four units Stavka cunningly ferreted away in the mountains around Slavko.

The Bolsheviks have withdrawn to the Dnepr in front of AGC, while in the South their defences run along the Goryn/Zbruch/Dnestr.

Luftwaffe Reconaissance has indicated a second line of defence is being constructed in the path of AGS along the Dnepr.

In the horrendous fighting in the Lvov pocket General Major Pavel Ponedelin commanding the 15th Tank Division was KIA unsuccessfully defending Stanislav from the clutches of the Das Reich Division, while General Major Fyodor Kamkov was killed by a stray Stuka bomb that missed its target and landed in the Generals makeshift command centre.

If anyone can drop me a line to let me know how to add 'pictures' I'd be grateful. I thought you just used the 'click to upload ' command but it seems you can only do it for one image.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..1612.06.jpg
ScreenHunt..1612.06.jpg (663.27 KiB) Viewed 329 times
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Empire101

RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis)

Post by Empire101 »

Week 4 of the Campaign and a significant breakthrough in the South. Odessa and Nikolaev both fall to Wiking and LAH respectively

Infantry playing catch up, but will be crossing major river lines in turn 5

If anyone can let me know how to attach multiple screen shots to these posts I'd be very grateful, as I have a few to attach to each post.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.

Saros

Post by Saros »

If you use an image hosting site it will give you code for forums you can paste into your post to display an image. I think you have to replace the *img* tag with *image* for this forum.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Thanks Saros.

Just finished week 5 of GC and forgot to take any screen shots.

Really enjoying the game as my Army Groups plough forward. Sveint is playing a great game, and I can't wait for my turns to come back.

Will do a proper update on turn six with plenty of screenshots.

Reedster

Post by Reedster »

looking forward to your screenshot update - I just started my first GC 41 as Axis and am around the same turn as you... a quick summary of your plans and stuff to accompany the screenies would be neat too [:)]
'Well, Comrade Boldin, this is the third time you've gotten yourself encircled by the Germans. Don't you think that's a bit much?' - Zhukov, late 1941
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Coming right up [:D]

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

So here we are at turn 7, nearly half way through the good weather.
Tarhunnas has kindly explained in detail about how to attach and take screen shots, so these, although not ideal, will do for now.

( I read his pm after I'd taken the screen shots and sent off the turn on the multiplayer server.) So they will be better after this turn.

AGN is closing in on Leningrad. The Soviets have been constantly retreating from one river line to the next, making the advance quite frustrating.
Nowhere on AGN's axis of advance have the Soviets stood and fought. My opponent is cunningly marshalling his reserves,
but he will have to stand and fight soon, and hopefully I'll start encircling him, although AGN is rapidly running out of manouvere room.

Attachments
AGNturn7.jpg
AGNturn7.jpg (677.63 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Here are the positions of AGC.

Again the Soviets are retreating from one river line to the next, making the advance rapid. Well over half way to Moscow, and Smolensk will fall next turn.

Attachments
AGCturn7.jpg
AGCturn7.jpg (681.51 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Finally AGS, probably the most frustrating of them all as there are so many fallback positions for the Soviets, but I'm hoping they will have to stand and fight soon.
In the far south, the Dnepr has been breached by 9th Panzer so that whole line will crumble now, and I'll be into the Crimea in two/three turns ( I hope ).

The game has been very enjoyable so far, but I have been frustrated in my attempts to bring the Red Army to battle.
Hopefully they won't be retreating much longer.

Attachments
AGSturn7.jpg
AGSturn7.jpg (715.78 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

The bomb airfield function has been extremely frustrating

Here is a bomb airfield combat result from my game and I must admit this is pretty consistent with all the other results. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments
Bombing.jpg
Bombing.jpg (668.25 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Two notes;

First, turning on fort levels is helpful for those of us looking at your game to see how well dug in the sides are in a given sector.

Airfield bombing is very effective on the first turn for the Germans. After that, it is not very effective for either side. Not that you should not do it ever, but a good time is when you know you are going to overrun an airfield. Bomb it first a couple of times to increase the number of non operational aircraft, then overrun. (Non operational aircraft die on a overrun, operational aircraft flee).

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Sorry, I never thought of that, I'll start doing it. [:)] ( the forts I mean ).

Yes I suppose thats going to be the only answer to hurting their airfields, bomb them and then over run... I'll bear that in mind.

bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

hi empire,

you may try this:

http://imageshack.us/

to upload the stuff. the best thing is that you can choose between several monitor screen resolutions, its 100% free and you even do not need to register there.

about your progress:

AGS is realy hard going. the best sowjet units are there. i had the same situation in my earlier game in the south before i had to give up in turn 13. south is realy the hell because of the units and several rivers as natural defense barrier.

good luck.

and klydon is damnd right about AF bombing. in turn one, you can destroy an avg. of 4500+ red air force planes but then i would turn air support off and use the luftwaffe only to:

-intercept.
-fly supply to panzer spearheads.
-fly specific unit bombing missions.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

I'll have a look at imageshack.. thanks.

I managed to destroy 5200 aircraft on my initial Barbarossa move, but since then, airfield attack just does'nt seem to be worth it.

I'll have to try some fighter sweeps, see what that brings up [:)]

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Turn 8. Half way through the summer.
As some of you may be aware I could not fly any planes this turn, for some reason and I posted the problem, which is now in the Tech support Section.

At first it was only Air Recon was affected, but it turned out it was the entire Luftwaffe that was grounded. Airfield bombing and supply drops were also affected, not a single mission could be flown. Not very happy.

Hopefully what ever it was will clear itself up by turn 9.
I'm trying to work out how to crop a picture like Tarhunnas has kindly advised, but please bear with me as I'm a person still coming to terms with the technology of ear trumpets and bathchairs. But I'm getting there [;)]

Anyway, back to the campaign.

Army Group North:-

Situation report: Progress is good, with the city in sight. 4th Panzer have enveloped Lake Ilmen, as the defence around the eastern part of the lake was weak, although resistance is stiffening.

18th Army is coming up nicely on the western flank of Leningrad. I'm begining to wonder if the Stavka have made a mistake by continually falling back and avoiding pitched battles, as AGN have gained alot of territory.
Across the Narva and Luga with no serious resistance at all[&:].
General von Leeb as assured me that Novgorod will be in our hands by week 9.

Attachments
AGNTurn8.jpg
AGNTurn8.jpg (757.32 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Army Group Centre:-

Situation Report:

Smolensk falls as predicted.
Pretty heavy fighting going on in this sector, as the Soviets have not just run off this time.
The Soviets seem to have decided to fight and have appeared to stop running, so I'm trying to encircle a large part of their Army over the next 2 turns,
but I'm pretty sure they will have gone by the next turn. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

( I apologise for leaving my mouse over that airfield....I'm such a klutz[:(] )

Attachments
AGCTurn8.jpg
AGCTurn8.jpg (763.93 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Army Group South (pt 1 )

Situation Report: Feldmarschall von Rundstedt has assured me of Kiev's capture next turn, and it had better happen, or his job is on the line.

Eight turns to get to the outskirts of Kiev. Not very good Chris, go to the bottom of the class.[>:]

Attachments
AGSTurn8.jpg
AGSTurn8.jpg (715.98 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Army Group South ( pt 2 )

Across the Dnepr in force in the far south. Thats another major river line breached, thank god.

I'm really hoping my problem with aircraft will go away on the next turn, otherwise I may have to ask Sveint if he would consider a restart, as I won't go on without recon in a FOW game, let alone not being able to fly ANY aircraft. Lets hope it does'nt come to that.

I am really enjoying this game at the moment, even though I had a moan in Tarhunnas's excellent thread about the ease of Soviet military evacuations in Western Russia. If the game allows it, then its fair game I suppose. I know I'd do it if I was the Soviets.

All hail to Gary, Joel, Sabre, Helpless and the rest of the team for their hard work and their support. [&o]
Attachments
AGSTurn8pt2.jpg
AGSTurn8pt2.jpg (627.09 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Thankfully Joel was able to point me ( very quickly I might add ) in the right direction and the problem was solved.
I had set % to fly in the air doctrine screen to 100% so any squadron that was not upto 100% just sat around reading Signal and smoking cigarettes all week long.
Set it back to 50% and hey presto, I'm back in business. Only lost one turns air allocations, and I bet they appreciated the unexpected R+R.

Back to the Front

Army Group North:

Situation Report:-

AGN continues to make progress, although now the Bolsheviks are standing and fighting, although Novgorod fell without a fight.
Good choice of positioning by the Soviets has slowed up the advance, but now units are routing and shattering, and I am close to Leningrad.

Overall Assessment of the 9th week= Good ( still on target )

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (679.64 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Army Group Centre:

Situation Report:- Slow but steady progress. As predicted the Soviets fell back from their river lines so encirclement was foiled, but again many of their units are routing/shattering.

Overall Appraisal:- Average to Good.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (680.78 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Return to “After Action Reports”