Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FY compatible with 1.02b

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Revolution Under Siege Gold >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: FY compatible with 1.02b Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/22/2011 11:49:40 PM   
kev_uk

No idea.
Dont know much about him, found this though which is interesing :-http://libcom.org/history/popov-dimitri-ivanovich-1892-1921?quicktabs_1=1

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 181
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/22/2011 11:51:39 PM   
Chilperic

The real colour should be the same than for Tcheka units.

Incidentally, tonight, I've for the first time added a subfaction in an AGE game

Next version released tomorrow.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 182
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/22/2011 11:54:10 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

No idea.
Dont know much about him, found this though which is interesing :-http://libcom.org/history/popov-dimitri-ivanovich-1892-1921?quicktabs_1=1

He participated in Finnish Civil War. Interesting indeed.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 183
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/22/2011 11:57:09 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

No idea.

Interesting. Another reason to use the Left SR as Anarchist subfaction. Opns a following career for Popov in Makhnovist ranks

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 184
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/23/2011 6:21:08 AM   
Chilperic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

Btw, is it WAD that "liberals" and "corruption" -events are present every turn for WS1?

Clovis?

It seems odd that liberals can be authorized every turn, and the same goes for fighting corruption.

Bug fixed

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 185
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/23/2011 7:46:58 AM   
Chilperic

New version uploaded with the yet mentioned changes. This version isn't compatible with ongoing games.

http://moddercorner.com/2011/07/23/new-version-of-fatal-years-2/

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/23/2011 11:28:44 AM >

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 186
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/23/2011 5:49:28 PM   
JJKettunen

In my ongoing game Makhno was finally defeated. See below.

Meanwhile, Siberians have lost Arkhangelsk a few months ago, which is bad. British Navy went home. Current Allied involvement level is 4, which is the lowest I have ever seen.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Keke -- 7/23/2011 6:08:14 PM >

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 187
RE: FY compatible with 1.02b - 7/23/2011 6:18:22 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

Meanwhile, Siberians have lost Archangels a few months ago, which is bad.

That's a good news for the RED AI . Archangelsk fell into Red hands in 1920 or even late 19 I believe.

The Allied INtervention Level is " programmed" to rise in the first months then lower inexorably, but with randomness; As Whites, you may slow a bit the process, as Red the reverse. Maybe i should add some "securities" granting the AIl to remain higher if Whites control some key objectives or have a very high NM ( above 120).

The best description of Allied involvement in RCW is players wanting to bid the less to get the most. Public opinions were weary of war, partly sympathetic to the Bolshevik revolution and most leaders were considering Bolshevik regime to be an utopia destined to crumble by itself after a few years, in a backward nation. We have to understand in 1920, the rise of Soviet Union as superpower was unforseen and about as believable than the moon conquest...So if Allied sent much weapons and materials ( cheap and useless after november 18 anyway), they were very cautious for direct involvement or money spending for Whites...except they wanted to be in good position with a White power if Whites would have won the war...

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/23/2011 10:45:56 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 188
Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/23/2011 9:52:21 PM   
Chilperic

I. The Allied Intervention Level

Contrary to the official game, Fatal Years has developed a system built on random and player chosen variations of the Allied Intervention Level. In the official game, Allied units, and subsidies to White will begin and end at fixed dates. In Fatal Years, their end will be determined by the Ail, whose evolution is determined by randon events and options.

An Allied Intervention Level has been implemented, stepped up of 0 to 13. Starting level is 8.
A level 8 or superior is mandatory to get the help of the French, British, Greek and American troops, a level 3 or superior to get from Western Powers money and resources.
The Allied Intervention Level will vary according to random events, that represent the consequences of the hesitations Allied Nations suffered, wavering between to fight Communism and to put an end to the war. Every player can also buy by option ( named Concessions to Allied) an influence on the level. Red attack on Poland will raise this level too.

When one of the two White Factions reaches at least 120 NM, there’s a chance the AIL will be raised by one ( 120can’t only be reached by large victories and such a Faction would then be seen as possible future rulers of Russia, easing bidding on them).
If Reds reaches 120 NM, the AIL may be lowered randomly by one (historically, Western Allied switched to a containment policy when it was assured Bolshevik regime was winning the war).

If Reds chooses to implement “Land reform” option, the AIL could lower ( by this option, the Red side is implementing the NEP policy, which appeared in Western Nations like a partial abandon of the communist utopy and so like a first step toward the renunciation to the World revolution). By the contrary, adoption by the Whites of the Land reform could raise the AIL ( Land reform being considered as an evolution toward a democratic Russia, positively seen by public Western opinion).
Last, when Reds will play the option 3Provoke strikes in Western Nations”, the Ail will be raised by one.
French and Greek troops in Ukraine will start fixed at Odessa and Sevastopol, but may be unlocked if the Allied Intervention Level raises 13. Under 6, these units will be removed from play.
Under 3, other Allied units will be removed from play, to the exception of some locked units (like Japanese divisions).The financial help will be stopped too.

Notes: an Allied Intervention Level of 13 represents Allied Nations deciding to “stamp out the virus”, releasing any restriction of armed development, especially for France in Ukraine. Random variations are simulating how much Whites and Red had only very partial influence on diplomatic postures of France and Great Britain, this influence being somewhat represented by the (costly) options players get during the game.

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 189
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/23/2011 10:22:42 PM   
JJKettunen

No problem with the rules.

Level 2 in my game now.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 190
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/23/2011 10:32:30 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

No problem with the rules.

Level 2 in my game now.

Oh, I've not posted the rules for you Now FY is very near of completion, I'm rewriting and expanding a bit them. I'm posting this new version here for questions, or remarks

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 191
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 9:00:06 AM   
Chilperic

III. Recognition of Independence by the Southern Whites faction

In the initial official version, this event presents two major shortcomings: it is historically unbelievable and it ruins the balance of the game.
Indeed, while applying a penalty of -40 to NM, the official version limits the option a winning white player. Only such a situation allows to support such a decrease. However, it is absolutely unlikely that the White carrying away would have granted their independence to the minorities of the former Empire. On the other hand, a white player in such a situation only has an interest to play this option, since the penalty will be compensated by the contribution of numerous troops, ideally placed around Petrograd.

The Fatal Years new rules:

1) The NM level of Southern White is superior to 75: the option lowers NM by 20 immediately. However, as long as NM level of Southern White remains under 115, he will lose every three months 10 NM.

Thus, the White player should bet on the future: will the reinforcements allow him to recover the level that permits to avoid the penalty quickly or will his NM descend it inexorably?
2) The NM level of Southern White is lower to 75: the option lowers NM by 10 immediately. However, as long as NM level of Southern White remains under 100, he will lose every three months 5 NM.

The penalties are less strong, but the white player is already weak, and at risk of the same progressive elimination. However, the option remains possible for a hard pressed player, without becoming a no brainer under of 60, with a risk of defeat here very strong.

Notes: besides the aspects of obvious balancing, the option becomes only attractive after mid-game or in case of a situation of great weakness. The core of White support doesn’t immediately divert itself from the leader who dared to jeopardize empire, but detaches itself slowly, except if the victory satisfies it. It explains the lower penalty if the NM is already weak, the NM level representing the core hard of the support existing then.

Special Finland rules

Both White factions may obtain Finnish help by the Recognition of Independance option. But they may too get Finnish entry in war by playing another option, dedicated to Finland alone, with different rules and outcomes.

This option may be played during 1919 and costs 25 EPs and 100 money. When played there's a random chance the Finnish will enter the war. This possibility is higher if Whites control both Narva and Pskov. The option will be removed from play after December 1919.

Notes: During 1919, Mannerheim was favoring Finnish intervention against Bolsheviks. He had too a real political power who ended with the election of late 19. Finnish population was in majority against a pursuit of war, especially with Whites refusing to formally acknowledge Finland independence. The rules takes into account this situation by offering Whites a chance to fire the Finnish support without formal independence recognition. Of course, Finnish poeple may refuse in spite of Mannerheim influence to go to war again. For gameplay purpose, this option allows Whites to create a localized menace on Petrograd, without being sure to have Finnish troops at disposal, when Reds will have until 1920 to keep a strong force in the Petrograd sector.

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/24/2011 9:01:22 AM >

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 192
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 9:32:29 AM   
JJKettunen

It would be nice if new options, when they become available, were shown in the message log. One can easily miss them otherwise.

< Message edited by Keke -- 7/24/2011 9:33:11 AM >

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 193
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 9:45:46 AM   
Chilperic

quote:

It would be nice if new options, when they become available, were shown in the message log. One can easily miss them otherwise.

Right

edit: done

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/24/2011 10:51:13 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 194
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 12:26:22 PM   
JJKettunen

FYI, early August 1920 and the Pole AI cleverly trapped Estonian Army at Vilnius and destroyed it almost to the last man. 6 point NM hit.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 195
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 12:55:05 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

FYI, early August 1920 and the Pole AI cleverly trapped Estonian Army at Vilnius and destroyed it almost to the last man. 6 point NM hit.

Sorry

Poland AI is fond of Vilnius, the native city of Pidulski.

New version tonight, incorprating new messages about events and a few fixes, mainly for options and AI during winter. Will be compatible with the current version available since yesterday, this one necessitating to start a new game.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 196
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 3:09:02 PM   
JJKettunen

Late November 1920 files for Clovis to check. This is from the previous version. I have to hurry, so no comments from me yet.

Attachment (1)

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 197
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/24/2011 11:07:51 PM   
Chilperic

New version uploaded at hte usual place...

Compatible with ongoing games begun with the last version.

What's new?

Availability of options notified to players

Some glitches in options removed

AIs should be more active during Winter.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 198
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 12:46:33 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

Late November 1920 files for Clovis to check. This is from the previous version. I have to hurry, so no comments from me yet.

Ok, here are a few comments.

First of all, the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

A few (negative) AI observations:

* Lower detect bonus than recommended I set for the AI may explain a few instances where a superior AI stack have chosen not to move in and engage a smaller stack of mine, seemingly without a proper reason.

* I know this has been adjusted for the latest version, but it was disappointing to see that when the Reds declared war on the Balts, and concentrated a huge amount of forces against Estonia, the offensive never materialized. It was like they were waiting for Yudenich to appear before committing themselves. The end result was making it easier for whites on other fronts without any significant gain. It was a true strategical mistake costing Red AI the game, I gather. Steamrolling Estonia when there was the chance, even with Yudenich appearing could have made the difference.

* Poland seems too passive, not taking advantage of the weakened Red situation in directions of Minsk and Kiev. Can't remember how the Polish-Russian war is dealt with, but one could assume they were ready to exploit any such opportunities.

Many thanks to Clovis for his efforts!

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 199
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 1:28:45 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

quote:

Ok, here are a few comments.

First of all, the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

A few (negative) AI observations:

* Lower detect bonus than recommended I set for the AI may explain a few instances where a superior AI stack have chosen not to move in and engage a smaller stack of mine, seemingly without a proper reason.

* I know this has been adjusted for the latest version, but it was disappointing to see that when the Reds declared war on the Balts, and concentrated a huge amount of forces against Estonia, the offensive never materialized. It was like they were waiting for Yudenich to appear before committing themselves. The end result was making it easier for whites on other fronts without any significant gain. It was a true strategical mistake costing Red AI the game, I gather. Steamrolling Estonia when there was the chance, even with Yudenich appearing could have made the difference.

* Poland seems too passive, not taking advantage of the weakened Red situation in directions of Minsk and Kiev. Can't remember how the Polish-Russian war is dealt with, but one could assume they were ready to exploit any such opportunities.

Many thanks to Clovis for his efforts!

Thanks

1) lower detection bonus maybe, but don't forget it's an AI . I know often we forget in FY we play against an AI, but it has its defaults. I fear what you describe to be unfixable, except indeed by a better FOW bonus, and yet.

2)Balt area: Normally, the new version should give a more offensive RED AI in this theater. If not, I've yet a few thinhgs I may change

3) I will look for Poland indeed. Deeper offensives are necessary both for historicity and gameplay. In your game, poland hasn't advanced in Ukraine but has taken Minsk somehow. so nothing is lost

Last, AI in FY doesn't cheat as Sid Mier's Civ one It gets about 10% reduction for unit construction cost and here and there 1 more NM. Nothing more, except the optional FOW bonus player may switch on or off in the game options.

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/25/2011 1:44:38 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 200
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 1:52:07 PM   
JJKettunen

Now I noticed that Allied intervention level event may need modification. It's Late May 1921, and I just "bought" further French and Greek commitment for 50EPs. Int level dropped to 2, and their units are still stuck. One would think that the Reds losing the war (NM of 56 and Combat Power of 59) the Allied would realize the outcome, and have no qualms about support, at least limited (I used the diplomatic event last time it dropped to 2).

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 201
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 1:55:00 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chliperic
In your game, poland hasn't advanced in Ukraine but has taken Minsk somehow. so nothing is lost

Oops, should check the map before posting.

Anyhow, Poland is indeed too passive in the direction of Ukraine.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 202
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 1:57:42 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

Now I noticed that Allied intervention level event may need modification. It's Late May 1921, and I just "bought" further French and Greek commitment for 50EPs. Int level dropped to 2, and their units are still stuck. One would think that the Reds losing the war (NM of 56 and Combat Power of 59) the Allied would realize the outcome, and have no qualms about support, at least limited (I used the diplomatic event last time it dropped to 2).

Indeed

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 203
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 2:12:50 PM   
JJKettunen

Now it dropped to 1, argh! That was 50 EPs wasted for nothing!

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 204
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 2:14:37 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

Now it dropped to 1, argh! That was 50 EPs wasted for nothing!

I'm going to rework the option tonight.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 205
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 2:23:54 PM   
JJKettunen

Cheers!

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 206
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 3:32:16 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

We must not forget too one of most glary weakness of AI in almost any computer wargames is its predictability. An AI unable to surprise the player is a doomed AI, as humans learn, and fast, generally . It would be easy to build AI traps whit small forces acting as lure if AI would always attack them....

< Message edited by Chliperic -- 7/25/2011 3:55:10 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 207
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 3:52:43 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chliperic
It would be easy to build AI traps whit small forces acting as lure if AI would always attack them....

True that.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Chilperic)
Post #: 208
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 4:24:09 PM   
JJKettunen

One thing I have forgotten to mention: Once I sneakily captured Vilnius and Kaunas, Allied supply help keeps on arriving to the latter under enemy control! Obviously I have lost most of such supply units.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 209
RE: Rules: The Allied Intervention Level - 7/25/2011 4:26:53 PM   
Chilperic

quote:

One thing I have forgotten to mention: Once I sneakily captured Vilnius and Kaunas, Allied supply help keeps on arriving to the latter under enemy control! Obviously I have lost most of such supply units.

Thanks. Going to fix it.

Fatal Years mod for RUS version 1.07
Struggle for a Vast Future 2.0 for AACW in advanced beta:

http://moddercorner.com/

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Revolution Under Siege Gold >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: FY compatible with 1.02b Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI