Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warbirds collide at Duxford midair

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Warbirds collide at Duxford midair Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/12/2011 10:56:54 PM   
jcjordan

I read about this accident, fortunately both pilots were ok but P51 was lost. If I saw it right the pilot of the P51 did a good job of keeping control after losing what looks like his tail before he bails out. Video is in story link

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-07-11_duxfordMidair.asp
Post #: 1
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 12:14:45 AM   
GreyJoy

yes...he was good to keep it stable...thank god he's safe! However it's a pity to have lost another warbird

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 2
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 1:27:36 AM   
Pascal

Incredible video footage. Not only says much about Davies' abilities but also much about the quality of the design of the Skyraider that landed with a significant piece of wing missing.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 3
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 1:35:44 AM   
wdolson

Fortunately both pilots are OK.  From the video the Skyraider appeared to be more badly damaged, but the P-51 must have had something critical taken out like the control cables to the tail.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 4
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 2:54:11 AM   
jcjordan

From the video, it looks like a large part of the tail maybe elevator or rudder flies off just when they break to the left. I'd imagine that he lost part of the tail & then flutter set in & he realized he couldn't control it enough to land so he flew off in a direction so he could bail away from crowds. 

Well they changed the video - it now has an interview w/ the pilot as well as a better explanation of what happened. The part I see fly off is the wing from the Skyraider.

< Message edited by jcjordan -- 7/13/2011 2:57:31 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 3:49:23 AM   
John 3rd

Wow. Impressive reaction time and footage.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 6
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 4:47:06 AM   
wdolson

What you see flying off is the wingtip of the Skyraider.  As far as I can tell, the P-51 doesn't shed any parts.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 7:08:10 AM   
chrisol

I was there the day before, so missed the "excitement". Glad the pilots are OK.

If anyone's interested I've got some of the non-crash plane pictures on the web here: Duxford airshow 2011 pics
(Relevant for this forum would be: P51s, P40s, a P38, B-17, Spitfires and a Corsair)

bw
Chris

(... oh, and a Swordfish)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 5:12:06 PM   
Nikademus

Yikes....this is part of why i'm too chicken to go up in a historical bird. Boeing field hosts events all the time, everything from historic old pre WWII trainers to the big B-17's and 24's that regularily visit. I know that every part has to be checked and maintained but still.......these planes are just so OLD......and flying puts so much stress on an airframe and machinary. If i'm not wanting to Bungie Jump in this lifetime i also don't want to experience parachuting. I've seen too many Warner Brothers cartoons involving the Coyote.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 9
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/13/2011 9:12:03 PM   
Pascal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Yikes....this is part of why i'm too chicken to go up in a historical bird. Boeing field hosts events all the time, everything from historic old pre WWII trainers to the big B-17's and 24's that regularily visit. I know that every part has to be checked and maintained but still.......these planes are just so OLD......and flying puts so much stress on an airframe and machinary. If i'm not wanting to Bungie Jump in this lifetime i also don't want to experience parachuting. I've seen too many Warner Brothers cartoons involving the Coyote.

From the looks of the footage it was pilot error, not age of plane. The Skyraider was too close to begin with.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 10
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/14/2011 5:41:15 PM   
Nikademus

true....but then there was that B-25 that went down recently as well.

Gravity always wins......eventually!

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 11
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/14/2011 8:41:02 PM   
Mark VII

During the last three flights I had on B-17s or a B-24, no parachutes were offered or even talked about.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 12
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/15/2011 9:01:46 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

During the last three flights I had on B-17s or a B-24, no parachutes were offered or even talked about.

A serious question: Under an emergency situation would you know what to do with one, even if it were offered???

Much safer to sit tight and not distract the professionals from their job which is to get you down as gently as possible....

I have actually thought about this before as a while ago I was involved in a parachute drill without notice (or training). I can only imagine how it would have gone if it were for real.....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 13
RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair - 7/15/2011 7:55:14 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

A serious question: Under an emergency situation would you know what to do with one, even if it were offered???

Much safer to sit tight and not distract the professionals from their job which is to get you down as gently as possible....

I have actually thought about this before as a while ago I was involved in a parachute drill without notice (or training). I can only imagine how it would have gone if it were for real.....

It can be a lot of "fun" even with training. Some of our instructors used to put a blind fold on you , then push and shove you , while you were trying to get into your chute to simulate "aircraft motion" of a dying airplane.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Warbirds collide at Duxford midair Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI