Warbirds collide at Duxford midair

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

Warbirds collide at Duxford midair

Post by jcjordan »

I read about this accident, fortunately both pilots were ok but P51 was lost. If I saw it right the pilot of the P51 did a good job of keeping control after losing what looks like his tail before he bails out. Video is in story link

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-07-11 ... Midair.asp
GreyJoy

RE: Warbirds collide at Duxford midair

Post by GreyJoy »

yes...he was good to keep it stable...thank god he's safe! However it's a pity to have lost another warbird
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

Incredible video footage. Not only says much about Davies' abilities but also much about the quality of the design of the Skyraider that landed with a significant piece of wing missing.
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Fortunately both pilots are OK.  From the video the Skyraider appeared to be more badly damaged, but the P-51 must have had something critical taken out like the control cables to the tail.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

From the video, it looks like a large part of the tail maybe elevator or rudder flies off just when they break to the left. I'd imagine that he lost part of the tail & then flutter set in & he realized he couldn't control it enough to land so he flew off in a direction so he could bail away from crowds. 

Well they changed the video - it now has an interview w/ the pilot as well as a better explanation of what happened. The part I see fly off is the wing from the Skyraider.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Wow. Impressive reaction time and footage.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

What you see flying off is the wingtip of the Skyraider.  As far as I can tell, the P-51 doesn't shed any parts.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

I was there the day before, so missed the "excitement". Glad the pilots are OK.

If anyone's interested I've got some of the non-crash plane pictures on the web here: Duxford airshow 2011 pics
(Relevant for this forum would be: P51s, P40s, a P38, B-17, Spitfires and a Corsair)

bw
Chris

(... oh, and a Swordfish)
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Yikes....this is part of why i'm too chicken to go up in a historical bird. Boeing field hosts events all the time, everything from historic old pre WWII trainers to the big B-17's and 24's that regularily visit. I know that every part has to be checked and maintained but still.......these planes are just so OLD......and flying puts so much stress on an airframe and machinary. If i'm not wanting to Bungie Jump in this lifetime i also don't want to experience parachuting. I've seen too many Warner Brothers cartoons involving the Coyote.

[:D]
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Yikes....this is part of why i'm too chicken to go up in a historical bird. Boeing field hosts events all the time, everything from historic old pre WWII trainers to the big B-17's and 24's that regularily visit. I know that every part has to be checked and maintained but still.......these planes are just so OLD......and flying puts so much stress on an airframe and machinary. If i'm not wanting to Bungie Jump in this lifetime i also don't want to experience parachuting. I've seen too many Warner Brothers cartoons involving the Coyote.

From the looks of the footage it was pilot error, not age of plane. The Skyraider was too close to begin with.
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

true....but then there was that B-25 that went down recently as well.

Gravity always wins......eventually! [X(]
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

During the last three flights I had on B-17s or a B-24, no parachutes were offered or even talked about.

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

During the last three flights I had on B-17s or a B-24, no parachutes were offered or even talked about.

A serious question: Under an emergency situation would you know what to do with one, even if it were offered??? [&:]

Much safer to sit tight and not distract the professionals from their job which is to get you down as gently as possible....

I have actually thought about this before as a while ago I was involved in a parachute drill without notice (or training). I can only imagine how it would have gone if it were for real.....
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Reg

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

A serious question: Under an emergency situation would you know what to do with one, even if it were offered??? [&:]

Much safer to sit tight and not distract the professionals from their job which is to get you down as gently as possible....

I have actually thought about this before as a while ago I was involved in a parachute drill without notice (or training). I can only imagine how it would have gone if it were for real.....

It can be a lot of "fun" even with training. Some of our instructors used to put a blind fold on you , then push and shove you , while you were trying to get into your chute to simulate "aircraft motion" of a dying airplane. [X(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”