Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are Strategic Points?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What are Strategic Points? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 1:53:17 PM   
pws1225

I just noticed on the intelligence screen that there is an entry for the 'Strategic Points' earned by each side. Does anybody out there know what these points represent and how they are earned?
Post #: 1
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 2:00:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Stategic points are earned by strategic bombing of certain places - specifically the Japanese Home Islands, mainland United States (I don't think Hawaii or Alaska qualify), and Australia.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 2:25:35 PM   
pws1225

Thanks CR. Since I'm playing the Japanese side, I don't think I'll be getting many of those.

Paul

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 2:30:58 PM   
jeffk3510

You very well could if Australia is considered..

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 4
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 2:42:17 PM   
pws1225

Do you think that is feasible in a Scenario 1 game?

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 7/11/2011 3:06:31 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 4:28:10 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Sure, historically the Japanese bombed Australia over 100 times during the war, but this is not widely known, as it was kept secret until well after the war, in order to not scare civillans.  There is no reason you cannot repeat history, plus it is very hard to stop bombers at night in the game, if they fly above the flak.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 7/11/2011 4:31:41 PM >

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 6
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 4:30:54 PM   
jeffk3510

Beat me to it. Australia was bombed more than once during the war...Search Darwin for example and read up about it.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 7
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 4:34:11 PM   
pws1225

Well now, that sounds like fun! I'll have to give it a try when the time is right. Thanks guys.

Paul

Post #: 8
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 7:12:07 PM   
dr.hal

Hey Paul, bomb away, I'll be waiting for you!!!!! Hal

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 9
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 8:01:15 PM   
pws1225

Okay, and I'll give you a call before I drop by. My Southern upbringing requires nothing less.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 8:07:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, we southerners are the epitome of politeness even as we break into the rebel yell and storm right into your backyard, breaking down your hedges, knocking over your grill, and scarfing your ice tea.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 11
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 8:20:44 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Stategic points are earned by strategic bombing of certain places - specifically the Japanese Home Islands, mainland United States (I don't think Hawaii or Alaska qualify), and Australia.

Hawaii qualifies. I always change at least 1 squadron of Vals to hit the repair yards at PH one turn 1. If you get lucky you will damage a few of them - scoring easy points and slowing down repairs.

Xargun

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 8:51:49 PM   
dr.hal

I'm glad you are saying this to Paul AFTER turn one..... thanks, Hal

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 13
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/11/2011 11:52:13 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

Yes, we southerners are the epitome of politeness even as we break into the rebel yell and storm right into your backyard, breaking down your hedges, knocking over your grill, and scarfing your ice tea.

The way I heard it you Southrons were fighting to keep us Yankees out of your backyards, off of your hedges, and away from your BBQ.

Mmmmm . . . barbeque

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/12/2011 2:16:34 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

Truer words were never before spoken.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 15
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/12/2011 2:48:09 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse
[The way I heard it you Southrons were fighting to keep us Yankees out of your backyards, off of your hedges, and away from your BBQ.

Mmmmm . . . barbeque

According to my high school friend Ricky Clark, Yankees were after our good-looking southern women (we actually say: "wimmen"). Before I left home to attend the University of Georgia, which is populated by the best looking young ladies you've ever seen, Ricky told me: "Don't touch their peaches, and don't let them touch your pears."

I'm not sure that was good advice, but it was memorable advice. That saying has stuck with me for 31 years now, though I did my best not to comply.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 16
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/12/2011 4:44:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Won't that stain your scarves?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/12/2011 8:56:15 PM   
Pascal

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Sure, historically the Japanese bombed Australia over 100 times during the war, but this is not widely known, as it was kept secret until well after the war, in order to not scare civillans.  There is no reason you cannot repeat history, plus it is very hard to stop bombers at night in the game, if they fly above the flak.

And then there was that unit abandoned at Rabaul.... Gamble wrote a book about that one too.....

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 18
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/12/2011 11:50:57 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

Being born and raised in Louisiana, I laughed at the scarfing the ice tea bit.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/13/2011 9:32:20 AM   
aspqrz

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Sure, historically the Japanese bombed Australia over 100 times during the war, but this is not widely known, as it was kept secret until well after the war, in order to not scare civillans.

I hardly think that being on the front page of Australian Newspapers qualifies as "kept secret".

They didn't keep the bombing secret. They couldn't ... not even the first attack, the one on Darwin.

What the government *did* do was to keep secret exactly how and what sort of damage had been done ... even then, talking to my Dad when he was alive, he said it was common knowledge that the damage had been *bad* and *extensive* even allowing for the obvious exaggeration of the stories that were circulating.

Problem was, even as isolated as it was, Darwin and the other bombed towns had regular non-military links with the rest of Australia ... commercial transport, for a start, and all the government could do was to prevent the newspapers printing stories, not ordinary people passing them on.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

Post #: 20
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/13/2011 2:17:02 PM   
ilovestrategy

Wow, I never knew Australia was bombed.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 21
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/13/2011 3:21:04 PM   
FatR

quote:

Hawaii certainly don't.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/13/2011 4:45:27 PM   
dr.hal

Was it in the movie "Australia"that the film depicted the attack on Darwin (a recent release)? Knowing Hollywood, I doubt it was accurate, but seeing photos of the real thing, The Japanese certainly kicked the s#@t our of the town....

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 23
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/13/2011 11:55:08 PM   
Skyros

Thats not Sweet Tea!
quote:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 24
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/14/2011 12:21:12 AM   
kaleun

Xargun: How do you get the Vals to attack the repair shipyards? Set them to city attack?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 25
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/14/2011 12:12:23 PM   
aspqrz

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Was it in the movie "Australia"that the film depicted the attack on Darwin (a recent release)? Knowing Hollywood, I doubt it was accurate, but seeing photos of the real thing, The Japanese certainly kicked the s#@t our of the town....

The consequences of the attack were, for Hollyworld History, reasonably believable. The equipment of the allied/US reinforcements you see on the road at some point ... laughable (*Halftracks*!!!) ... and the Japanese landing on the mission island ... never happened (though it was strafed) ... only one organised Japanese force is known to have landed on the Australian mainland or near islands during the war (and that was in 1944, a recon group of 10 Japs and 15 Timorese out of Timor), though some sailors from sunk vessels may have did.

See ...

http://www.ozatwar.com/japsland/land09.htm

... for a start.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 26
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/14/2011 2:15:29 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Wow, I never knew Australia was bombed.

Then you are going to be very surprised by the following figures which list location (state/territory), number of air raids.

Darwin (NT) 64
Horn Island (QLD) 9
Brocks Creek (NT) 8
Broome (WA) 4
Milimgimbi (NT) 3
Point Stuart (NT) 3
Townsville (QLD) 3
Exmouth Gulf (WA) 3
Wyndham (WA) 2
Port Hedland (WA) 2
Fenton (NT) 2
Wessel Islands (NT) 1
Katherine (NT) 1
Bathurst Island (NT) 1
Port Patterson (NT) 1
Drysdale (WA) 1
Derby (WA) 1
Onslow (WA) 1
Port Gregory (WA) 1
Mossman (QLD) 1
Cairns (QLD) 1

plus both Sydney (NSW) and Newcastle (NSW) were shelled by submarines

and recon flights were flown over Sydney (NSW), Melbourne (VIC) and Hobart (TAS)

Alfred

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 27
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/14/2011 2:40:14 PM   
dr.hal

Wow Alfred... What is your source on those data????

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 28
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/14/2011 5:04:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

Hawaii qualifies. I always change at least 1 squadron of Vals to hit the repair yards at PH one turn 1. If you get lucky you will damage a few of them - scoring easy points and slowing down repairs.

Xargun

It's worth it just to damage the repair yards and industry at PH, even if you didn't get any points for it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 29
RE: What are Strategic Points? - 7/17/2011 7:15:25 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Wow Alfred... What is your source on those data????

Data from,

Peter Stanley, Invading Australia:Japan and the Battle for Australia, 1942 (Camberwell VIC, Penguin Group, 2008), page 166 (map)

Stanley is a leading military historian. He was Principal Historian at the Australian War Memorial for 27 years. Since 2007 he has been the Head of the Centre for Historical Research at the National Museum of Australia.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What are Strategic Points? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI