Manual updates

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

michaelm75au

Manual updates

Post by michaelm75au »

To help with creating an updates manual, if you know of any errors or omissions in the current manual, can you add them here and I'll include it my updates.

The updates will be based on the [LIGHT] version as it is easier to add to. The page numbers might be different between it and the pinted version, but the section numbers are the same.

Thanks
Michael
inqistor

RE: Manual updates

Post by inqistor »

Probably there should be glide/dive altitudes, as they were only mentioned in some old patch description.

Everything form extra documentation files (search arcs etc.).

And surely there should be description of all those extra columns/buttons added.

Training groups could be outdated, and I am not sure Allies even gets them, but they surely arrive later for Japan.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Take the aircraft info a step further.

1) For training, what mission and altitude combinations train what skills?

2) For actual ops, what mission and altitude combinations results in what mission profile (e.g. level, glide, dive, skip, strafe, etc.)?

3) For actual ops, what mission, altitude, mission profile combination results in using which skills?

Some of the above might be different for different plane types.
littleike

Post by littleike »

Have a look to paragraph 6.1.1.1 (Task force missions)

The sequence of description of the various types of task force missions doesn’t match with the sequence present in the appendix table 20.1.2.1 (TF by class).

The sequence match till landing craft; after that point sequence of the missions and mission titles differ.

Three jet pilot useless things: Sky above you, airstrip behind you and half second ago.
littleike

Post by littleike »

Another little mark. I seem manual states nothing about the process of saving games. [:)]
Three jet pilot useless things: Sky above you, airstrip behind you and half second ago.
gottagofish

Post by gottagofish »

Could somebody go though and fix the uses of "than" and "then"? [:@] I don't know if it is a difference between American English and the Queen's English, but they always seem to be used backwards. The word "than" is comparative. Something is bigger, higher, louder THAN the next thing. The word "then" is time dependent. Something is followed THEN by some next event.[:'(][:'(][:'(] Sorry, a real pet peeve.
littleike

Post by littleike »

The game uses often numeric values as a scale reference for many armour characteristics ( ex. Ship durability, armour strength, etc.. ) . It could be good if, when it uses this values it could specify also the boundaries for every type that he uses. [:)]
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

ORIGINAL: Marauder Jack

Could somebody go though and fix the uses of "than" and "then"? [:@] I don't know if it is a difference between American English and the Queen's English, but they always seem to be used backwards. The word "than" is comparative. Something is bigger, higher, louder THAN the next thing. The word "then" is time dependent. Something is followed THEN by some next event.[:'(][:'(][:'(] Sorry, a real pet peeve.

I'll volunteer to at least help proofread the end product. Than/then bugs me, too. So do "its/it's", "they're/there/their", using "and" where "an" is the correct word, and dozens more. Some people may not care, but when I read something, a lack of proofreading is a serious distraction.
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

lack of proofreading is a serious distraction

Not to mention the confusion of readers not having the privilege of being native speakers [;)]
I applaude you for your generous offer.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
noguaranteeofsanity

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

One thing that probably needs to be included or clarified is the operation of Amphibious HQs and AGCs.
gottagofish

Post by gottagofish »

CaptDave, I applaud you for volunteering to review for the correct words to use. Your list is spot on. [;)]
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

8.3.1 Overland Movement

The section contains two references to movement "per 12-hour period." I believe those should be changed to "per day".

I believe the figures for Railway-Minor (60) and Railway-Major (120) are wrong. In my experience, LCU's move much further in strat mode.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
littleike

Post by littleike »

This is only a note because it is not a manual error, but could you verify if the sort criteria of the tables in the manual is always the better for speed the search ? I seem that some tables could be better searched if arranged in alphabetical order ( think to appendix ship types table for example).
Thanks as always [:)]
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

Section 6.3.3.2.4 and 6.3.3.3.1 Loading and unloading times. From what I read a level 2 port without naval support should unload 200 a 12 hour phase or 400 a turn. But running a quick cargo to Lihue I am getting twice that. If I run a cargo vessel to San Clemente island, a level one port, I unload 200 a day as expected from the manual.

Is this a bug or an error in the manual on unload rates?
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
WLockard

Post by WLockard »

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

Section 6.3.3.2.4 and 6.3.3.3.1 Loading and unloading times. From what I read a level 2 port without naval support should unload 200 a 12 hour phase or 400 a turn. But running a quick cargo to Lihue I am getting twice that. If I run a cargo vessel to San Clemente island, a level one port, I unload 200 a day as expected from the manual.

Lihue gets Naval Support from PH.
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

ORIGINAL: WLockard

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

Lihue gets Naval Support from PH.
I can't find that in the manual, which is what this thread is about. From 6.3.3.2.4, "These values, ( the chart shown), are for undamaged ports with no naval support". It doesn't say anything about Naval support from nearby bases.

Thanks for the info.
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

15.8 Burma Road

Strike "between Tsuyung and Ledo or" (and "than" should be "then")
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Marauder Jack

I don't think it has anything to do with the differences between American and the Queen's English. I think the problem is that it's one of the most common grammatical errors.
ORIGINAL: CaptDave
I'll volunteer to at least help proofread the end product. Than/then bugs me, too. So do "its/it's", "they're/there/their", using "and" where "an" is the correct word, and dozens more. Some people may not care, but when I read something, a lack of proofreading is a serious distraction.

Having editors around is always a good thing.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Could the section on shock attacks across rivers be clarified? Between the manual and what is stated in a patch readme file the explanation is rather unclear. From previous posts in a number of threads and AAR's a lot of players are unclear as to what exactly does/doesn't trigger a shock attack, especially when a hex is contested. Everything from AV % and hexside control could be fleshed out a bit.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I forgot about one important ommision.

In part about supply path, there is no initial value. Text says, that supply path exists as long, as it will generate positive value, and it is calculated by subtracting supply cost of hexes, but there is no word about initial value from which all those hexes are subtracted.
I am guessing it is 100, but in War Plan Orange it was 120.

Also, I think, there are some difference betwwen some pictures, and accompany text (there are different values on pictures). But I can not recall where exactly it was.

Return to “Tech Support”