GO-229 Revisited

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Lanconic

GO-229 Revisited

Post by Lanconic »

Just so you all know, I think this plane is fantasy. Getting four JUMO 004 to work in tandem would be
simple luck. However....

As I said some months ago, I am playing a game where I converted ALL my factories on turn ONE to this plane.

The plane finally arrived today on 5/5/44 production is nine a day for the entire Reich.

Obviously I do not think I can save the Reich industry, however, I have not yet lost.
It is possible my opponent is simply allowing me to live.

When I have observation on this plane to make, I will make them =)
The way of all flesh
Lanconic

RE: GO-229 Revisited

Post by Lanconic »

So it seems that the Go-229 IS able to inflict losses on whatever it attacks.
However, that will not save the Reich. Its arrival is too late.

Using head on attacks with rockets shreds the bomber formations.
But...... I have exactly two units of it. It is not enough.

Far more limiting is the 500 limit to moving flak around.
There is no way I can empty the flak pools.

So its a nice toy, and will make a great post war story.
The way of all flesh
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, to be honest, it is suppose to be a bit of a red herring, all of the late war Axis planes are, great what if's, but, they really wern't ready and not really able to be built in massive numbers, remember as advanced as the 262, the engines still had almost no real combat time, before they had to be replaced, the main drawback for the plane was the engine, and the wonder weapons that are in the game, are even more advanced (I had wanted to work out a FW 190 C, but the only way to try and work in all of the trouble with the Tubo Charger, would be to make it cost 5 or more engines to build one, and even then, that would be too generous, but it would of been a good aircraft and just they needed at the time, if it could of been build when started)

really, nobody wants to, but the Luft, needs 109's (G-6 is cannon fodder, but, you still need them, the 10-14 K's are solid planes, but most players want to got for something fancy, and it will and should hurt) 
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Yep, build vanilla for the best chance of success.
Derfel

Post by Derfel »

Hard Sarge:
ahh the old debate about the engines of the Me262.

In the manual from the manufacturer it states that the engine is to be removed for the Jumo 004 B-1 after 25 hours of service.

If we accept a sortie will last about 1½ hour then that would be 16 sorties before the engine should be removed from the aircraft and replace with another that have been serviced or a new engine.
The engines were usually scrapped after 150-250 hours of flight.

I think that the general break down of the infrastructure led to a lack of spare parts. The moving around of the units to other air fields also disrupted the maintenance, as did the lack of trained or untrained mechanics.

A nice feature of the game design that, unfortunately, did not survive into the released game, was the use of "parts" to repair or service aircraft. That feature would remedy the very high numbers of air planes ready for action, that we have in the game now.

Lanconic:
The method the game use to reduce the numbers of the Go229 or any aircraft powered by jet engines is to double the actual numbers used, so in real life the Go 229 only needed 2 Junker Jumo 004B engines.

Some of the things might be in BTR, but the game is programmed in a very black box way, with little feedback on what the outcome of ones action is. [:-]

Should someone want to make a new game about the warfare over Germany then there is a lot of data that should be looked at anew.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Agree,
on the engines, think that was still more there planned life, then what they were getting, the parts being made were not as good as they should of been, metals needed to make them were short, lots of shorts cuts being taken, just to get them into production, and they were very tricky to handle, just moving the throttle to fast, could make them flame out, or even explode

for the game, yes, very much agree, the coding system, game system, locked Harley into a lot of things he could do, couldn't do, I got slots all over the dat base, that I can not touch or can not use, as the code is going to be reading them, to get info on what it needs to do, there are also numbers I am not allowed to use, as the game, when it sees that number, knows it means something different then what I am trying to do

a whole new game code from the start, we could do tons of things, and in ways the old game didn't
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Lanconic,

You could always add it to your mod to reflect the options you believe should be available to the Luftwaffe.

Bugger, forgot there isnt an editor in this game!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, as I said, not sure where, but too much of the code is HARD coded to this line, this slot, which with a editor, you only see the slot is open, or could be changed

also, there are a lot of number combo's, that tell the program to something totally different then what you think it should, these are the reasons there is no editor with the game

(which please remember, Harley did most of the work on the first editor for the game, and I did a lot of the testing, and adding ideas, once we found out how easy it was to screw up the data and the code, we decided not to release one)
lastdingo

Post by lastdingo »

The Ta 152C is all you need

- survivable thanks to durability etc
- high enough firepower to even shred B-17s
- high endurance allows for great fighter concentratons, much better than with 109/190
- good altitude performance
- even or superior to fight EVERY allied fighter
- available in spring 44 with modest conversion of factories (still had excess production of 109/190 while I researched it)
- fast enough to even massacre allied PR planes (+ the range to catch many of them per turn - I destroy about a third)

The early arrival of ta 152C (April '44) basically destroys the Allied air forces. Suddenly, they're not dominant any more - they're the hunted ones. P-51s don't change that. Bomber strikes into Ruhr Area or to Hamburg become suicidal. Bomber attacks against Schweinfurth, Berlin become totally obliterated.
I experienced that AI saved units for a big attack day - with 800+ 4-engine bombers in the air at the same time - result:

They can't touch me any more (in daylight).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”