Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

units appearing early/wrong theater?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> units appearing early/wrong theater? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/1/2011 8:12:44 PM   
el cid again

Under computer vs computer control,
I have observed a problem with units appearing months or years early,
in the wrong place, and set for a command which would not have allowed them
to load at all.

For example, 5614 is the US Army 3rd Division, assigned by stock to arrive
at Tacoma 420901, but it arrives early in 1942 - at Fiji!

or 5574 is the US Army 11th Cavalry regiment, assigned by stock to arrive
at San Diego 440401 - but it appears at Fiji early in 1942.

I was not looking for such issues and only noticed these because they were so
unlikely. I suspect a systematic search will reveal many such cases.

Any clue what causes this phenomena?
Post #: 1
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/1/2011 8:27:42 PM   
Rainer

quote:

Both units not in my game (1943). In fact, there is no US 3rd Div at all, neither is there any US 11th Cavalry Rgt.
Both units are not in the current rooster, nor are they destroyed, and they are not in the list of scheduled reinforcements.
From your previous posts it looks suspiciously to me you're making this up to get more attention.

If you really want to help the developers/modders to hunt down bugs/errors you should at least include some details, like scenario, version you're using etc.

< Message edited by Rainer -- 7/1/2011 8:41:25 PM >

WitP/AE Devs Fan Boy
1.7.11.23x10 beta
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 2
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/1/2011 9:10:25 PM   
Iron Duke

The arrival dates you have quoted are in fact their withdrawl dates , both units start the GC on map
I would guess that the AI has moved these units from their start positions to Fiji

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 3
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 1:28:31 AM   
CV 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

The arrival dates you have quoted are in fact their withdrawl dates , both units start the GC on map
I would guess that the AI has moved these units from their start positions to Fiji

This would mean that restricted commands mean nothing to the AI because the 3rd (and the 11th) are perma-restricted to the west coast.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 4
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 2:04:29 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV 2

quote:

This would mean that restricted commands mean nothing to the AI because the 3rd (and the 11th) are perma-restricted to the west coast.

The AI gets lots of bonuses. I believe ignoring the restricted unit tag is one of them. I'm sure Michael can confirm.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 5
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 2:40:59 AM   
michaelm

Without looking at everything, the code controlling the restricted units ignores the AI sometimes, and in others treats AI and human the same.
IIRC, the original code had little restriction on tha AI for resticted units. This is really meant to confine and control the human player and force him to act under similar constraints as sort of existed during that period.

The Supreme Command of the AI is an iron-fisted, "I'm running the war my way" individual who does not listen to requirements or concerns of the national forces under his command, and will use 'his men' any old way he likes.

Michael

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 6
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 2:47:19 AM   
Rainer

quote:

Confirmed. I started a new campaign (Scen #1, Allied vs AI), and both LCUs were there (both West Coast, Tacoma and San Diego). Both are restricted. Both clearly show their withdrawal dates. Why el cid thinks they should appear in Sep 1942 and April 1944 is beyond me.

Edit: Anyway, I decorated him with the Green Button. Don't wish to be confused by his misleading statements anymore.

< Message edited by Rainer -- 7/2/2011 2:53:08 AM >

WitP/AE Devs Fan Boy
1.7.11.23x10 beta
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 7
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 8:28:51 PM   
el cid again

quote:

If they remain attached to West Coast Command, how can it move them?
Or is AI not required to change command, haveing Godlike powers?

I was able to duplicate the problem - sort of. The Cavalry appeared same same. But only a fragment of the
3rd Division did - as if a shipload segment. Anyway - thanks. I think you are correct - the date field I read was the
withdrawal date - and the units start on the map.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 8
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 8:29:34 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Without looking at everything, the code controlling the restricted units ignores the AI sometimes, and in others treats AI and human the same.
IIRC, the original code had little restriction on tha AI for resticted units. This is really meant to confine and control the human player and force him to act under similar constraints as sort of existed during that period.

The Supreme Command of the AI is an iron-fisted, "I'm running the war my way" individual who does not listen to requirements or concerns of the national forces under his command, and will use 'his men' any old way he likes.

I think you are right.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 9
RE: units appearing early/wrong theater? - 7/2/2011 8:38:24 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

quote:

Both units not in my game (1943). In fact, there is no US 3rd Div at all, neither is there any US 11th Cavalry Rgt.
Both units are not in the current rooster, nor are they destroyed, and they are not in the list of scheduled reinforcements.
From your previous posts it looks suspiciously to me you're making this up to get more attention.

If you really want to help the developers/modders to hunt down bugs/errors you should at least include some details, like scenario, version you're using etc.

Perhaps your last comment is worthy of paying attention to. I believe this issue is present in all full map scenarios, but I have been looking at and testing Scenario 1.

You are far too suspicious. My approach is very simple and direct, and I get far too much attention to be able to deal with half my mail. Joe (Wilkerson) once quipped, in a Forum no less, that because I had gone on vacation, the throughput of the internet as a whole had changed by 50%. I may be wrong, but I am always sincere, and I am either asking for help (as here) or giving data FYI as I believe it to be. Just read the words, and if I am confused, explain I am reading the wrong field (as someone else did) - or that code ignores the rules (as yet another did) - and I will be enlightened.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> units appearing early/wrong theater? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI