Customized Grand Campaign

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
Priapus1

Customized Grand Campaign

Post by Priapus1 »

So, one very bored afternoon I took it upon myself to edit the forcepools of both teams, although particular focus was given to the germans, to improve the balance of the game. I'm very satisfied with the latest patch and feel the game has come a long way since it's humble (and slightly disappointing) beginnings. However, many of the german BGs receive nothing but ersatz units and mgs. Although this offers some defensive capability, their offensive capability is extremely limited. Therefore I've massively reduced the numbers of ersatz units in all BGs and replaced them with more competent units. I've also increased the variety of units to allow the german player to have more choice about what is fielded. I've given all german BGs some AT units, even if it is just a handful of panzerjager teams, so the german player has a fighting chance against the swarms of shermans moving north. The germans will also make a concerted counter attack in the south, so the allied player must ensure he/(she?) keeps some units there to protect their supply route. I changed, although not drastically, the locations at which some german units arrive. I did this so poorly armed german units did not enter the map where extremely strong allied units were likely to be and be forced to into defending a tiny deployment area against superior troops.

I've changed the starting locations of some paratrooper units to allow the allied player a chance to capture the Arnhem road bridge and Nijmegen bridge. At present it is impossible to successfully take them once german motorized units take up defensive positions. With my custom campaign the allies will be able to assault the bridges on the first turn with motorized and panzer units arriving shortly after to counter attack. The challenge for the allies is to hold out until support arrives from the south (a tall order indeed). The challenge for the germans is to remove the allied threat in the north as quickly as possible and head south to hold off the armoured offensive.

If you want to try this out make a copy of your FPools file located in Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem/Data/Base and replace it with the one attached. You can simply replace the custom file with the original if you hate the new BG set up. To use the custom Grand Campaign place the file Priapus Campaign in the Battles folder located at Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem/Games/Battles. You'll see this listed under the User Scenarios in the Command screen.

Hope you enjoy it. Find me over at Gameranger as I'm always looking to start a GC.

Edit: Decided to remove all medium mortars, however increased number of mortar barrages for both sides to compensate. Weather set to random. Increased air support for both sides. Some bridge maps now have a longer timer. Several other small changes. New Campaign text file is placed in Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem/Data/Base.

Edit 2: Removed all tank reinforcements for AB units. AB units receiving huge tank reinforcements on turn 6 made the minor german counterattack in the south all but impossible. Some small alterations to BG forces. Beefed up some german static BGs. A skilled player will now be able to halt the allied advance at Valkenswaard and Eindhoven. Major bridge forces are now strong enough to stop the allies taking them with ease and potentially not at all. New Static BGs file as usual placed in Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem/Data/Base.

Edit 3: Gave German 5cm mortars the ability to fire smoke rounds.

Edit 4: With the release of the workbook I've been able to tinker with some of the weapons and unit data. I've changed a lot of the weapons units receive. Engineer units are now more recognizable as Assault Engineers. However, I've also beefed up allied Assault Sections and created Stoßtruppen for the germans. These latter units are suitably bad ass and armed for Close Combat in urban arenas. For some reason flamethrowers were not allowed to shoot on the move which may explain why they are useless at present. This has been changed. The mod is becoming increasingly unwieldy with so many files. I'll attempt to create an installer to make things easier.

Edit 5: Changed the sounds of most weapons. File goes in Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem/LOCALFX. I will create an installer ASAP.

Edit 6: Added Davidssx's new elements file. Please see http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/mo ... pic&t=9150 for the full list of changes. Many thanks to david for his hard work.

Edit 7: Major update. Many, many changes. I will create a new thread in the mods forum with a comprehensive list of changes. All files in a .zip. Next task is to create an installer. Credits, in no particular order: tigercub, davidss, overkenshin and RD Steiner.

Latest version:

http://www.2shared.com/file/E1CvNgHP/BASE__2_.html
Priapus1

RE: Customized Grand Campaign

Post by Priapus1 »

I'm only able to upload one file per post, so the above attachment is the FPools file. Please follow the below link to download the GC file:

http://www.2shared.com/file/hpqt-irp/Pr ... paign.html
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Seems to be a problem with downloading the FPools file. Please use the below link.

http://www.2shared.com/document/81cmax_V/FPools.html
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Hi Priapus

Playing as Allies I don't seem to have any BG's on the map for the first turn... is that correct, can you check?
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

I've changed the starting locations of some paratrooper units to allow the allied player a chance to capture the Arnhem road bridge and Nijmegen bridge. At present it is impossible to successfully take them once german motorized units take up defensive positions

see xe5's post - have you tried that?

tm.asp?m=2847351

Also H2H I seemed to take the bridges without too much trouble in this AAR  (1500 on the 18th??)

tm.asp?m=2632995&mpage=2&key=
ImageImage
xe5

Post by xe5 »

When playing the Allies and attacking the bridge maps, I find that gaining control of bridge Vls is far easier as the result of enemy force morale loss/VL bonus rather than attacking toward those VLs directly. The AI will blow a bridge the moment it senses the player is in a position to take a bridge VL. But the AI will often lose FM (and critical Vls) attacking a patient player's defense.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

EDIT: sorry, no crash...I posted to the wrong thread [:(]
Attachments
924start0600.jpg
924start0600.jpg (293.57 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Thanks for the feedback.
ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Hi Priapus

Playing as Allies I don't seem to have any BG's on the map for the first turn... is that correct, can you check?

No, that wasn't intentional. Fixed now:

Latest version at first post.

Is the above save game an AI vs AI campaign or you playing as the germans? This was really intended for online play. And also with force morale turned off, as I never play with it on.

I'll look into the crash. Perhaps it's caused by a BG entering the map on that day.

Overall, is it now too difficult for the allies? They still enormously out number the germans. Abt 506 should recieve 4 Tiger II's. They definitely had 7?

I'll do some earnest testing today. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Did a quick run through of the GC and made some small amendments to some BGs. The German player receives a total of 6 Tiger II's in 2 BGs. The German player does however receive the same number of Tiger I's which weren't included in the original GC.
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

update.
Andrew Williams

again?
ImageImage
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

The medium mortars were driving me nuts, any movement was next to impossible. So, I decided to completely remove them.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

good job Priapus [:)]
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Priapus
heres where i think some changes could be made.........
the german BG's around arnhem dont seem to have enough specialized equipment to properly street fight. as ive posted a few times now the 9th and 10th SS at arnhem and nijmegan had direct access to FM Models HQ for men, equipment and ammo...basically anything they wanted they could ask for and usually get.

for better playability IMO......

Kraft.......could use a few more flamethrower teams.
Knaust....assault enginner squads. both kraft and knaust made up assault enginner squads to fight in the house to house fighting at arnhem with flamethrowers, PZ fausts, sub machine guns , explosives etc. they are not in the game as far as i can see.

at Nijmegan the germans did well slowing down the allied advance to the bridge. the game doest reflect the a/t capibility's of those SS troops that defended there. the germans had a full flak battery of 88 flak guns across the river that gave a/t support to there troops on the other side and other flak guns at the bridge and in nijmegan. also the SS had some...i believe... jag 4's in the initial defence, they put at strategic locations for a/t support. they also had a/t guns...they could not and did not defend against 30 corps with out a/t capability's. in LSA there seems to be a total lack of german a/t guns.
there was an SS arty battalion that gave arty support to the germans at Nijmegan also.

Euling ....more squads and some a/t capability...he was reinforced all day long in his initial battles.....some 50 and 75 mm pak guns? more shreaks and fausts. there was no shortage of fausts it seems in the premier units around arnhem and nijmegan shortly after the campaign started.
Rienhold......about four more mk 4's and 2 more stugs and a/t capibility's....shreaks and fausts. more grenadier squads.
107 PZ brigade.......more engineer squads and h/t's.....the whole brigade was fully motorized.
Walther.......more a/t capability's......shreaks?

Jungwirth....more a/t capibility's
Chill.....another jagdpanther.

and of course ...tone down the damn mortors.

these are just my suggestions to make LSA more playable..........[;)]
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

Like to join forces and see if we can make this campaign a winner Priapus?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Overkenshin

Post by Overkenshin »

Great stuff guys!

Looking at the new workbook right now...

Lets get this put together with Tigercubs weapons data into one patch.

Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Yep, joining forces sounds like an excellent idea.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

The new Elements file if u entend to us it ,please let me have a link so i can test with my Data with it Priapus .

Tiger.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

I haven't made any changes to the elements file. All of my modded files are available in the first post.
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

Do you guys think maybe the allied paratroop stats (morale, experience, intelligence etc) will need to be buffed to cope with all these german buffs?
Andrew Williams

So far my experience H2H has been an allied walkover.... even worse Allied V the AI.

So any help the Germans get has got to be good.... the latest patch did a little to help the Germans but it doesn't seem to have helped the cause at all.
ImageImage

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”