Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) - 6/23/2011 2:09:22 AM   
Obsolete

I haven't been on these threads for a few months, now, but I'm back not because of nostalgia, but there is a bit of a heated arguement on the Combat Command forums about disengaging from E-ZoC.

Myself, I first cut my teeth on Panzer General like many, and it wasn't until TOAW where I first had to pay attention when disengaging from enemy zones of control, unless I wanted to get those nasty bombards and watch my units fraction off into tiny bits (or worse).

However, in Combat Command trying to withdraw in a situation like this seems to be more penalizing than in TOAW, and this seems to really frustrate some players who seem to want to continually do this. I know there are some real army vets who are in here time to time, and I'm wondering, do you feel in TOAW that disengaging from the enemy is pretty much spot-on, or has been dubbed down an aweful lot in order to keep playability from degenerating into more of a WWI type theme?

I also read a complaint from a player that Tanks should never be allowed to get trapped in E-Zoc, and should always be able to pass a withdrawal check. Do you agree?

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Post #: 1
RE: Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) - 6/24/2011 1:11:05 AM   
1_Lzard

What 'exactly' is an "E-zoc".........? ie: How does it work?

"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 2
RE: Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) - 6/24/2011 3:18:20 AM   
Panama

It always depends on how badly the other side doesn't want you to move off. Not really modeled in any game I've seen. Always seems to be a one size fits all type of thing.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 3
RE: Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) - 6/24/2011 3:44:48 AM   
Curtis Lemay

I'll just point out that the cost of exiting a enemy ZOC can now (as of 3.4) be varied by the designer via a game parameter. And that parameter can be varied by event.

This doesn't change chances of disengagement attacks, however. But those have always depended upon a suite of factors like the relative speed and sizes of the adjacent forces, as well as recon of the moving unit. So, a tank unit, being motorized and powerful, may tend to disengage better than, say, a foot unit. Even if it does suffer a disengagement attack, it is relatively immune to artillery, so will fare better even then. But, if it is trying to disengage from a more powerful enemy tank force, it will have trouble - and should.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 4
RE: Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) - 6/24/2011 4:42:12 AM   
Obsolete

It would appear then, that the presence of enemy AT units should also restrict the armour from retreating though not on the same percentage level as enemy tanks. I'm now wondering what a ballpark figure for that comparison could be, but so many other variables which could come into play..

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Breaking off from E-ZoC (TOAW vs Combat Command) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI