[REL] Kalthaniell's Shipyards -Updated 02.01.12 ( image heavy )

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Kalthaniell

[REL] Kalthaniell's Shipyards -Updated 02.01.12 ( image heavy )

Post by Kalthaniell »

[center][font="Trebuchet MS"]KALTHANIELL'S SHIPYARDS[/font][/center]

Here you can find custom shipsets which I made. All images are 500x500 for bases and bigger ships, the rest is 300x300. This way the ships can look really well even when size over 1300 without decreasing game performance (especially on slower PCs). The ships were made using various artwork found on the internet, or ships from mods or games like Homeworld 2 or Sins of Solar Empire. Except from shipsets I've also made other addons like weapons effects or custom ships for minorsets (pirate ships). Hope you'll enjoy.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

SHORT:

1.Extract .zip file to Distant Worlds\Customization\MyTheme\Shipimages
2.Change the newly created folder name to 'familyx' where 'x' is the number of the family you want to be replaced (ex. family1)
3.Start the game, change the theme from the main manu to 'MyTheme' or any other theme in which you installed the new shipset.
4. Start a new game and crush your foes with your new shiny ships.

LONG:

You need to extract a shipset to your Shipimages folder in the Customization folder in the game directory ( for example: C:\Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\Mod1\Shipimages). In shipimages folder a folder named 'familyX' should appear. In that folder there should be ship images named after thier ship classes (capitalship.png, cruiser.png etc). Now change 'X' in the folder name to the number of the ship family you want to be replaced by the new shipset. To know which number represents a certain shipset go to Distant Worlds\Images\Units\Ships. It's all there. After you changed the name of the 'familyX' folder to for example 'family2' you can start the game. Than active your custom theme from the main menu (here it would be 'Mod1' for example) and start a new game. The new ships should be there when you create a new design.

DISCLAIMER: Those are the instructions for ROTS. I am not sure if something changed in Legends in terms of adding custom ships. Probably not, but I'll check and update this...

HOLIDAYS UPDATE: I have already uploaded the new shipset and I plan to update and reupload all other files before the new year. If something will be updated and reuploaded I will mark it by the link for a set or addon.

THE FIRST SHIPSET
Based on ships from AFF Universe. I dind't try to make ships according to originall classes though, just used pieces of AFF ASIN ships to patch up these. Below is the preview of the ships and some in-game screens.
[Unzip to your shipImages folder. Folder is named 'familyX' so just change 'x' to the number of the race you want to use the ships. Most of you probably know that already though :P ] Enjoy.

THE SECOND SHIPSET
Also based on ships from AFF.

THE THIRD SHIPSET
Inspired by the Hiigaran race from Homeworld 2 (clearly). This time I wanted to give the ships more normal 'human' look, so I introduced the characteristic blue/white lines colour scheme and white symbols. The resources for the shipset were taken from AFF ships and Homeworld 2 ships. The badge was made by team creating R.E.A.R.M. mod for Homeworld 2.

THE FOURTH SHIPSET

This shipset was made using the amazing graphics from Sins of Solar Empire. I used mostly Advent ships and bases. It's the first more alien-looking shipset released by my shiprayds. Initially I intended to release two versions (first magneta and next gray) but the second colour scheme did not look good at all on some of the ships. Enjoy.

I fixed some problems with lights and remade engines of some ships. Most notably the destroyer and freighters.

THE FIFTH SHIPSET
Clearly inspired by Romulan designs from ST. Ships were made using artwork from Sins of Solar Empire (Diplomacy), mostly of the Vasari race. This is the first of two shipsets based on Vasari ships.

THE CHOCOLATE SHIPSET
Hand made holidays special chocolate shipset. I made this one myself from grounds up because I wanted it to be special. It's nothing fancy, as I had to squeeze it out of my free time the last three weeks, but it sure was fun designing it[:D]. I had no way of testing it so there might be some minor problems I guess with lights and engines. Report anything like that to me, so I can repair it. This shipset is DW Legends compatible (it has a carrier:P). Here's a preview, have fun and HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone!

CUSTOM PIRATE SHIPS

Updated 07.08.11
"Tired of traders laughing when you attack them, because your ship looks like Atuuk schoolbus? Still haven't found a vessel that would instill fear in your enemies? Well, look no more, because Kalthaniells Shipyards have just what you need - totally bad-ass pirate ships with awesome pirate markings!"

[:'(] I made a couple of ships for minorsets. More will come when I make more shipsets. Not sure you can create shipImages folder for minorsets in your Customization folder, so you'll probably need to replace the orginall files in the main directory (Distant Worlds\images\units\ships\other\MinorSets). Just replace any of the ships with the ones from familyX and familyX3 folders.

I added three new ships repainted from human shipset.

Here's the presentation of the ships (all 500x500):

ImageImage

WEAPON MOD
As requested, I'm uploading the weapons projectiles I use. Some of these I made using images I found while googling words like 'torpedoes' or 'projectile', so I wouldn't be surprised if someone would already had done something very similar. Fortunately, most of it I made myself using Gimp. Same as with pirate ships, you'll probably need to replace your orginall files (Distant Worlds\images\effects\weapons) so make backup. Along with weapons I included shileds effect I made - it should go to Distant Worlds\images\effects\other.

V2 The new version includes all beams, torpedoes and some missles I did use, am using and am about to start using. To use the effects you like you need to replace the original file with any of the ones from the mod and change it's name so it is the same as the original. Remember that there is a limited number of weapons you can use at once in one mod. A word of warning - some torpedoes make cool beams but it does not necessarily works the other way around. Here's a preview, so you know how does this weapon pack looks like:

NEW PLANETS ADDON
I decided to convert planets from Sins of Solar Empire to DW. Yup, all six of them (shock). Turns out there are only two planets of each type in the game (guess Ironclad games in not too big on enviromental diversity). Luckly with the use of some Gimp Magic I managed to make 25 new planets. I use planet mod introduced by Igard, so my planets replace the ones his mod does not (except for the ones with scary amount of yellow or white in them). This way both can be used simultaneously. If anyone of you will use this addon I suggest downloading Igard's Planets Collection, too. Here are link to the thread and a preview:

tm.asp?m=2537349

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

UPDATED Download link for shipset 1:

http://www.mediafire.com/?63lzn31ds2ac996

UPDATED Download link for shipset 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m9fb1hi1b7chm97

UPDATED Download link for shipset 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?it1e3vmt3myvj4u

UPDATED Download link for shipset 4:

http://www.mediafire.com/?by0cjrcqa4ccgp5

UPDATED Download link for shipset 5:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aw49qqwwwbngze2

Download link for chocolate shipset:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21118706/familyX.zip

Download link for Custom Pirate Ships:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20645905/Pirates+V2.zip

Download link for Weapon Mod:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20584156/Weapon+mod.zip

(old version) http://www.gamefront.com/files/20486873 ... hileds.zip

Download link for New Planets Addon:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20645911/Planets25.zip

Some of you have asked for my older ships. I made them long ago and I must say they don't represent the peak of my modding prowess so to speak *cough* *cough* but if anyone of you like them please feel free to use them for your mods or making your own custom races or shipsets. Here's the link (it's on mediafire so they'll be still up after the world ends ;)

CUSTOM SHIPS (aka old space clankers and assault garbage cans)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?00fqy24f9jc3ydh

Any feedback is good, positive feedback is even better ;). I didn't test the ships too long so if theres any problems with lights or engines let me know.
Igard

RE: Kalthaniell's Shipyards

Post by Igard »

Wow!! These are spectacular! Thanks K.

Can't wait to see what else your shipyards produce.[:)]
Data

Post by Data »

Those are some awesome looking designs, can't decide which one I like best.
Hope your job allows you more free time [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: Data

Those are some awesome looking designs, can't decide which one I like best.
Hope your job allows you more free time [:)]

Luckily, it does.
I'm really glad you like the ships. I'm currently working on the second set and it's probably going to be ready by tomorrow. I've already finished a couple of ships, but I have hard time painting them. Can't decide on the main colour - anything except for snad'ish yellow or homeworld 2 blue looks kinda odd. Here's what I settled for now:

Any thoughts or ir ideas? Does the glowy thingy on the sides of the ship look like shielded hangar bays?
Data

Post by Data »

well, I thought about that before I saw your question as I stopped on the ship itself....so this should be a good enough answer [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

well, I thought about that before I saw your question as I stopped on the ship itself....so this should be a good enough answer [:)]
Great!
And there I was thinking I'm overdoing it :] The effect is fairly easy to make, and since there are fighters in DW why wouldn't there be some hangars on the ships:]
Data

Post by Data »

we still don't have necromorphs though
Umpa

Post by Umpa »

Wooow!!!
The Ships are amazing! They have a nice colour, my favourite is the Cruiser, and then comes the Colony Ship. Really good work!
Und wenn wir marschieren,
dann leuchtet ein Licht,
daß Dunkel und Wolken
strahlend durchbricht.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

we still don't have necromorphs though

But we do. They are on board. They hide in the mess hall, dressed as cooks.
Wooow!!!
The Ships are amazing! They have a nice colour, my favourite is the Cruiser, and then comes the Colony Ship. Really good work!

Thx, but remember that the cedit for the original 3d models and textures goes to AFF modding team. I just use little gimp magic to make DW ships out of stuff others did.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Good stuff.

I have never heard of this AAF setting .
Data

Post by Data »

Angels Fall First? try to google for aff....a big fat swingers site comes on top [:)]
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Good stuff.

I have never heard of this AAF setting .

Seriously?[&:] Angel Fall First Universe is the full name. AFF team make mods for games like Homeworld 2 or UT 3. Google it and look for stunning 3D artwork, can't miss it. I believe, that currently they are working on making thier own game. They were around for a couple of years now. I always thought thier work was well known :P You must have seen it before ASHBERY, maybe you just didn't know it was AFF.
Data

Post by Data »

Modders team making own game....how cool is that? Any info on that? Wait, I'll search their forum myself, a new jewel arises. I hope.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Second Antarean War is new type of game, a multiplayer online persistent tactical simulation, a game where you charge massive fleets into battle to protect countless outposts. This game is set in the Angels Fall First Universe that is known for its MODs and great artistic talent.

Well, they sure are amibtious. Game won't be finished any time soon, considering that they take thier time making mods, but if somone likes space simulators it'll surely be a jewel. Look no more here's a link : http://www.aff2aw.com/about.html

Anyway, I've just finished the last military ship of the new set. Tomorrow I'll do civilan ships and stations and upload the files [:)]
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I read about angels fall first when I was still playing Homeworld 1&2 years ago. Looking very good in its current state.
Hopefully they don't go with Homeworld 2 like difficulty.
I reinstalled HW2 las week and I honestly can't get past mission 3. I love the Homeworld series for the music and the art style, but the difficulty just won't allow me to fully enjoy them. Too much clickfest and not enough "strategy". Guess I'm getting old.
Oh, well... can't really complain as long as I have games like DW, Sins, Alpha Centauri, MoO2 and others that don't require hyper reflexes and Supermans mousehand.

Anyways, Great looking ships once again Kalthaniell! Really interesting to see what you do next. Oh, wait! Have you played the Freelancer by any change?

And BTW, Necros can just hide in ventilation shafts. Seems like nobody ever understands to search from those places. Leviathan can just hide in the corner of the food storage. "Nobody's here. Just 10 kilotons of biomass. Nothing to see."
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

Good idea, Kalthaniell if you could put visible ventilation shafts on your deesigns it would be great [:)]
biomass goes without saying
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

Who'd be suspiciosus about 10 tons of biomass in ships mess hall? Ventilation is way to obvious and easy to ... well vent into space. A wonder no one thought of that in Aliens or Dead space. Kitchen system would fool even Picard ;)

Yes I did play Freelancer. One of my favourite space sims. I really like the sandbox element this game had. If they'd change te ship models to something more post 2005 the game would still rock.
Data

Post by Data »

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell
Yes I did play Freelancer. One of my favourite space sims. I really like the sandbox element this game had. If they'd change te ship models to something more post 2005 the game would still rock.

have played very little freespace, is this beyond modding?
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

There's plenty of mods for that game but none seem to introduce new awesome looking ships. There are a couple of nice looking fighters models and stunning effects and weapon mods. No new capital ships though. Im not sure, but maybe the game's engine can't process more complex ship models or larger textures? Or maybe there is a great mod I somehow missed.

I don't know to much about extracting and adding 3d models from one game to another but how hard would it be to convert ships from say Dark Horizon or X3 to Freelancer?
And as I am mentioning converting ships from game to game - the ships from my sets are in good resolution therefore they'd make good resources for Gratidious Space Battles. Does anyone here also mod that game? If yes, why not convert my ships?
jc77

Post by jc77 »

Hm, File not found... [:(]

Return to “Design and Modding”