Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The RESOURCE Mod for Random games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The RESOURCE Mod for Random games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/20/2011 8:10:58 AM   
lancer

G'day,

O.K, it's a done deal. It'll take me a day or so to wrap my head around the zip installer and upload the files but here are the details in the meantime.

The Resource Mod for Random Games

In a nutshell

ATG is still the same. No units, technologies, locations or terrain have been changed. Your ATG experience will be differ only in that you are given three extra options for random games. These affect resources and supply only. Each option makes your task harder to a larger or lesser degree depending on how you have set up your game. They have been designed to bridge the gulf that exists between AI and AI+ opponents.

If you find that beating the AI is too easy (after some experience with the game) and that the AI+ is overwhelming you then this mod could be a means of ramping up the difficulty to a happy medium somewhere between the two.

The difficulty is increased by providing a more strategic focus to the game. Resources, where they are and how they find their way back to your Capital along with supply and transportation routes matter even more than before.

None of the above applies to the AI. The options affect the Player only.

Micromanagement isn’t welcome here. The focus is on a practical implementation. You are provided with some management tools but they are fun ones.

Did I mention that they are options and that nothing else has changed? Think I did.

Take it up with my Lawyer, she’s Nasty

This mod wasn’t initially made for general use. I made it for myself because that’s the way I like the game to be.

As there seems to be a level of interest I’ve tidied it up, squashed every known bug, and given it a polish before releasing it.

However keep in mind that what you have here is one persons self-indulgent vision of how it should be and that he probably won’t be inclined to align it to somebody else’s view of the world.

Having said this I hope that you enjoy the Resource Mod as much as I do. It adds another layer of interesting decisions on top of an already excellent game.

The Three Options

Connected Resources

The biggie. Resources don’t count unless they can trace an uninterrupted path back to your Capital via rail lines and ports. Select this and your days of having teams of Oompah Loompah’s that magically transport resources through secret chocolate coated doors from over the hills and far away are over.

Transport Resources

Choose this and it’s no longer enough for resources to be connected to your Capital, they have to be physically moved. To facilitate this you gain a valued employee, The Fat Controller. He takes care of all the details while you concentrate on providing him with the necessary means and by telling him where to focus his efforts.

Beans and Bullets

Ever wondered how all that supply made it from your Headquarters to your units? It was the Oompah Loompahs again. Running around the map when nobody was looking, high on sugar, hunched over in pain, humping heavy boxes of beans and bullets to your hard fighting troops. That’s why you get the grey screen between turns. It’s not pretty.

This option fires the little chocolate chain gangs and replaces them with trucks. As your army grows larger you need more trucks. Fall short and you may find that your supply range (the 250 AP that shows up when you press F5) isn’t what it used to be.

Want a big army? Better go talk to General Motors about a deal.

Will this slow my Game down?

Nope. ATG, unlike many other games, has been built properly.

I have two computers. One new and fast and one old and slow. Running a very large map with all the mod options selected the old fella clocks in an extra five seconds of turn processing time. On the new box it’s negligible.

You can time it on your own system easily as all the code driving it runs while the ‘Round Events’ message is displayed. Blink and you’ll miss it.

Will it make my Game harder?

Yes it will. Each option you select adds to the challenge for the human player.

To give you an idea I normally play random games against the AI and can generally count on beating it with ease. Against the AI+ I have an uphill struggle. With all three mod options I now find myself having to work hard to beat the AI. It’s doable but I have to box a lot smarter than before.

I should point out that the mod’s impact on the game varies significantly depending on your map generation settings. As a rule the more spread out and watery your map is the tougher it gets. Island hopping across a randomly generated Pacific Ocean isn’t easy. On the other hand these types of maps are where the AI is at its weakest so it kind of balances out.

The idea of the mod is to bump the difficulty vs. the standard AI but do so in a way that adds interesting decisions to the game rather than just make it harder.

How Buggy is it?

Well it isn’t. Says I. Hopefully.

I’ve been kicking the h*ll out of it for the last two weeks and it hasn’t broken yet. See what you can do.

I’d like more Information please

The longer, more detailed explanation is here…

RESOURCE MOD documentation

Cheers,

Lancer
Post #: 1
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/20/2011 12:04:25 PM   
Jafele

Millions of thanks Lancer . I´ll take a look at it. This mod is good to everyone cos it´s up to you to use it or not. This mod has changed ATG a LOT in a good way. Now it will be harder to thrash to this easy to win AI.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 2
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/20/2011 6:30:58 PM   
Whydmer

Thank you Lancer, I will surely be trying this mod with my next game.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 3
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/20/2011 7:37:17 PM   
Zaratoughda

Lancer... a possibility for an additional mod would be.... 'Intelligent Autoexplore'.

With this, you would not get autoexplore unless the controled hexes next to a potential autoexplore hex were in a certain amount of supply.. or maybe, within a certain supply amount from one's capital or supreme HQ.

Hmmmm... not sure this would be easy but... right now there are things that a human player can do to get lots of autoexplore that the AI does not do, and if you turn autoexplore off in the rulevars, the AI seems to get confused.

Zaratoughda

(in reply to Whydmer)
Post #: 4
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/21/2011 5:39:58 AM   
lancer

G'day,

Good to go.

Find it at the ATG Community Website

Download the Resource Mod

Install Instructions
====================

Download the 'Resource_mod_v1.atzip' file.

Open ATG and use the 'Install Zip/File' button on the main menu using the above file.

That - all being well - should be it. All the bits should now be in their proper place.

A new directory in your /mod folder contains a PDF of the mod documentation.

Whenever you start up ATG you will be asked if you want to use 'The RESOURCE Mod' or the standard 'Generic' masterfile. Don't forget that the Resource Mod is nothing more than the normal Generic file with the three extra options so if you loaded it and didn't select any of the options it would behave identically to the Generic ATG file.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Lancer

< Message edited by lancer -- 6/21/2011 5:42:42 AM >

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 5
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/21/2011 7:37:07 AM   
Jafele

Is it possible to play with NATO symbols and the resource mod at the same time?

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 6
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/21/2011 10:32:21 AM   
lancer

G'day,

quote:

Is it possible to play with NATO symbols and the resource mod at the same time?

I'd imagine that the two mods would need to be integrated to make this possible.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 7
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/21/2011 7:03:37 PM   
Webizen

@Jafele: NATO Counters Mod combined with RESOURCE Mod (ATG v2.05):  RSCNATOMOD.atzip (3.75MB) I suggest right clicking on link and choosing Save Target As (IE) or Save Link As (Firefox), then save to a location of your choice.

@Lancer: Any time Matrix publishes a new patch that updates the generic.at2 file, you'll need to update your resource.at2 file as well for that new ATG version.

Tac2i

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 8
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 6/21/2011 7:46:17 PM   
Jafele

Excellent!!! Now I can play with my favourite mods together.

On the other hand, I´m playing a random game with the resource mod (round 8). I can tell you it´s almost another game: Exciting and chanllenging. You have to think in a different way to win.

For sure today is an important date for ATG

Thanks again to both of you .

< Message edited by Jafele -- 6/21/2011 8:16:53 PM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 9
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/1/2011 12:40:37 PM   
lancer

G'day,

Mod has been updated for the latest v2.06b patch. Details and download link in the Mods & Scenarios Forum folder.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 10
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/2/2011 5:34:41 PM   
nim8or

Looks solid I do have one question, however. When starting a new random setup game if you do not select '1 town start' will the player need to quickly build a large amount of trucks for each of his HQs to establish a supply network, or is that modeled in somehow?

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 11
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/2/2011 7:41:58 PM   
Webizen

My experience with this mod is that you simply have to have the trucks and they can be located anywhere: all in one location or spread throughout your empire. As your army grows in size so does your need for trucks (trains and depending on your map, cargo ships).

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Looks solid I do have one question, however. When starting a new random setup game if you do not select '1 town start' will the player need to quickly build a large amount of trucks for each of his HQs to establish a supply network, or is that modeled in somehow?

Tac2i

(in reply to nim8or)
Post #: 12
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/7/2011 6:32:53 PM   
Kipper

What a brilliant mod. Has revolutionised the game. Thanks lancer for you excellent work and to Vic for making such a moddable game.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 13
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/19/2011 2:29:08 AM   
lancer

G'day,

Mod has been updated for the latest v2.07b patch. Details and download link in the Mods & Scenarios Forum folder.

There aren't any changes in the mod itself but the update allows you to take advantage of the improvements to ATG that Vic has made with the latest 2.07 patch.

Resource_v3 can be installed via the ATG menu button and will automatically overwrite any previous version.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 14
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/23/2011 5:23:48 PM   
danielfurniss

Hi Lancer, great mod. Thanks for making it available for us.

I was wondering if you would adapt the mod to work with multiplayer games. I mainly like the challenge of playing against another player and it doesn't seem to work with 2 players. Well it seems to work for 1 person in a game i tried but not both, perhaps i have done something wrong in the setup but i think i probably got it right.

cheers

Daniel

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 15
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/23/2011 11:09:46 PM   
Jafele

The resource mod is just for single player games. It takes a lot of work to do it for multiplayer games. I hope that sooner or later it can be done. People will never get bored playing the resource mod in multiplayer games, it must be an awesome experience. I think that in single player games the fun is limited after a few games.

(in reply to danielfurniss)
Post #: 16
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 7/26/2011 4:10:48 PM   
phatkarp

+1 re: multiplayer capability!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 17
RE: The RESOURCE Mod for Random games - 12/22/2011 1:31:12 AM   
lancer

G'day,

This mod has been given an upgrade - along with the inclusion of the LEADER Mod.

If you're using it it would be worthwhile updating to the latest version as it also fixes a bug with trucks not being taken into account in certain circumstances when using the 'Beans and Bullets' option.

ATG v2.10 compatible.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to phatkarp)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The RESOURCE Mod for Random games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI