Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitP for iPad!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WitP for iPad! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 8:41:28 PM   
mc3744

Ok, I know you are going to blast me, but hear me out

1) There's almost no keyboard use in WitP, it's all clicking.
2) We want to be able to play it all the time everywhere.

and ... 3) I'm sure it's a piece of cake for the programmers to port it to the iOS ... isn't it?

What can I say, I would just love it

Nec recisa recedit
Post #: 1
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 8:49:49 PM   
Terminus

That's not even within the same time zone as funny...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 2
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 8:54:00 PM   
mc3744

Oh c'mon, be nice to an old gamer

I could play on the road, in the evening in bed, in airport lounges, .... pretty much anywhere I usually read.

I know it's not feasible, but it'd be great.

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 9:14:57 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

Ok, I know you are going to blast me, but hear me out

1) There's almost no keyboard use in WitP, it's all clicking.
2) We want to be able to play it all the time everywhere.

and ... 3) I'm sure it's a piece of cake for the programmers to port it to the iOS ... isn't it?

What can I say, I would just love it

Re-Coding for iOS will never happen and you know that...

But if you like to play WitP-AE with iPad that is possible even now - just install some remote viewer on iPad and remotely connect to PC that is running WitP-AE...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 4
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 9:18:13 PM   
mc3744

That is actually a good suggestion.
I will look into it.

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 9:23:32 PM   
Nemo121

Any suggestions as to which Remote Viewing software is best for use with the ipad?

It'd be great to watch movie replays while mobile.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 6
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 9:57:35 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Any suggestions as to which Remote Viewing software is best for use with the ipad?

I use first two of below apps with my iPhone (I use VNC Server on all of my machines - both professionally and privately):

iSSH - SSH / VNC Console
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/issh-ssh-vnc-console/id287765826?mt=8

iTeleport: Jaadu VNC for iPhone / iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iteleport-jaadu-vnc-for-iphone/id286470485?mt=8

VNC Viewer
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vnc-viewer/id352019548?mt=8

Mocha VNC
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc/id284981670?mt=8

Remoter: Remote Desktop (VNC)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8

quote:

It'd be great to watch movie replays while mobile.

I doubt that video streaming is actually smooth enough... sorry...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 7
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 10:25:10 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I would buy it.
The iPad 2 is more powerful than some computer that people around here use to play AE.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 8
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 10:25:28 PM   
Nemo121

Can VNC viewer be used to manipulate the screen etc?

I have software on my computer that sometimes I'd like to show on the ipad but which cannot be loaded onto an ipad. Being able to load the software on my home PC and then show it in operation by being broadcast to my ipad would be a wonderful solution to a problem I've had for the last month....

Speed of video wouldn't matter much. An update rate of 1 frame a second would be fine as it is just to have a portable way to show rough functionality.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/19/2011 11:08:29 PM   
mc3744

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I would buy it.

So would I ... Happily

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 10
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 2:35:56 AM   
wdolson

If the iPad ran Windows, it would be a no brainer.

The biggest problem isn't in porting AE itself, it's DirectX.  Any machine/OS that will run DirectX will probably run AE.  Without that, it's not going anywhere.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 11
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 2:40:41 AM   
Mynok

iTeleport. It rocks.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 12
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 3:15:34 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If the iPad ran Windows, it would be a no brainer.

The biggest problem isn't in porting AE itself, it's DirectX.  Any machine/OS that will run DirectX will probably run AE.  Without that, it's not going anywhere.

Bill

My post about it being powerful enough was in jest. CPU wise it could probably handle the task and the display would work if the GUI was redone. But I don't think the iPad has the memory to handle AE. It only has 512 MB. Games like Football Manager has to cut down on the amount of database that is loaded to ensure that it works.
However, it is a pretty powerful device and some great games have already appeared on the platform. Just look at something like Chaos Rings or Infinity blade.
The iPad 2 has almost exactly the same hardware as the upcoming Vita which is going to be the PSP 2.
The sole difference being that the Vita is going to be quad core. Both are going to have 512 MB of memory and both are going to have the same GPU. Pretty impressive on the iPads part.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 5:44:00 PM   
USS America

quote:

Oh c'mon, be nice to an old gamer

I could play on the road, in the evening in bed, in airport lounges, .... pretty much anywhere I usually read.

I know it's not feasible, but it'd be great.

This is why God made laptops.

I've never run WitP or AE on a desktop.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 14
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 7:08:10 PM   
mc3744

I do play on laptops, although I guarantee you that watching the map on a 27" screen is a real pleasure.
However the portability of the iPad is not even comparable.
I used and use all sort of devices: smartphones, tablets, notebooks (big and small) and desktops.
They all have different strengths and weaknesses.
I didn't even want to try the iPad, then a colleague lent me the iPad for a weekend ... and I was hooked.
It's so convenient, easy to handle and cool

Anyway, I know it's not going to happen. But the fact remains that tablets (in general) are the future.

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 15
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 8:08:51 PM   
USS America

Tablets are fantastic for consuming content.  They are weak for creating content.  They will not replace laptops/PC's.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 16
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 9:18:44 PM   
jeffk3510

laptops are great.  I can play in bed so wifey won't complain that I'm "always in the office".  She thinks I'm looking at boobies, while I'm actually playing AE....

Hooking up AE to my 40" flatscreen is delicious.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 17
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/20/2011 9:51:09 PM   
wdolson

I expect that Windows tablets are coming (there have already been several failed attempts).  Once that happens, most Windows apps will run on tablets and AE will probably be one of them.

My SO loves Macs.  She still has one of the first edition Macs with the signatures inside the case.  She uses a much newer one though.  She's drooling over an iPad and will probably get one for her birthday.  I have a theory that the MacOS is intuitive to some people, but not to others.  My SO goes on about how easy it is to use, but I've yet to figure it out.  I can sort of bumble along, but it isn't intuitive to me at all.

Bill

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 18
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 7:30:49 AM   
Pascal

There is a version of GoToMyPC for the iPad now. No need to reprogram anything. Just have to have an internet connection (and pay for GoToMyPC).

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 8:08:45 AM   
Roger Neilson II

and then play the screen via any of these many dektop linkers to a large screen like a tv and you have it all......

Roger

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 20
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 10:35:30 AM   
mc3744

I completely agree that Tablets won't replace "regular" PCs.
However tablets are indeed fantastic to consume content. And WitP can be consumed.
It's all clicking. Very, very easy on a tablet.
The only problem (in terms of usability) is the impossibility of zooming in and out in WitP, otherwise ti'd be just perfect.

I find that holding a notebook on your lap becomes unpleasant after a while, they usually heat up.
I tried Toshiba, Sony Vaio and Apple. They all heat up.
Notebook are also a bit cumbersome on planes. Yes they fit, but if/when you have to get up or food/drinks arrive they are nowhere as convenient as a tablet.

Since Apple went with Intel processors I switched from Windows (which I used from 3.1 to Vista) to Mac and I'm so happy (I don't work for Apple or have any Apple share )

Anyway, it was just a provocation. I understand how difficult it'd be.
It's a stone in the pond. I believe, I could be wrong of course, that even the conservative world of wargaming should take a look at IT trends. It's not by chance that the Apple OS and that tablets in general are growing so fast and so relentless.
Not to mention the stability and reliability of the Mac OS. I only reboot when I have to update the system (or to switch to Win 7 to play WitP )

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 21
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 11:33:29 AM   
Yakface

If we can't get WITP as an Ap it's doomed......doomed I tell you.

< Message edited by Yakface -- 6/21/2011 11:49:06 AM >

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 22
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 12:39:27 PM   
wdolson

quote:

I completely agree that Tablets won't replace "regular" PCs.
However tablets are indeed fantastic to consume content. And WitP can be consumed.
It's all clicking. Very, very easy on a tablet.
The only problem (in terms of usability) is the impossibility of zooming in and out in WitP, otherwise ti'd be just perfect.

I find that holding a notebook on your lap becomes unpleasant after a while, they usually heat up.
I tried Toshiba, Sony Vaio and Apple. They all heat up.
Notebook are also a bit cumbersome on planes. Yes they fit, but if/when you have to get up or food/drinks arrive they are nowhere as convenient as a tablet.

Since Apple went with Intel processors I switched from Windows (which I used from 3.1 to Vista) to Mac and I'm so happy (I don't work for Apple or have any Apple share )

Anyway, it was just a provocation. I understand how difficult it'd be.
It's a stone in the pond. I believe, I could be wrong of course, that even the conservative world of wargaming should take a look at IT trends. It's not by chance that the Apple OS and that tablets in general are growing so fast and so relentless.
Not to mention the stability and reliability of the Mac OS. I only reboot when I have to update the system (or to switch to Win 7 to play WitP )

To be fair Windows can be pretty stable too. I often go 4 months between reboots (with XP).

Apple is very good at industrial design. Their products tend to be laid out intelligently and they also tend to be solidly built. Probably the best built laptops out there are Macbooks.

Their hardware is proprietary, which does make it more expensive to buy, but also simplifies the OS. Windows needs to support a much wider array of peripherals.

Additionally, virtually every bit of software out there runs on Windows, but only a subset runs on the Mac. Part of this is due to market share and part is due to the programmers out there. I have known few programmers who like MacOS and even fewer who program for it. Microsoft has a massive wing of the company that exists solely to support programmers writing software for Windows. Apple, as far as I can tell, does not put as much effort into supporting programmers.

If you get under the hood in Windows, it's a vast territory, but not too difficult to understand if you understand the fundamentals of computing. I've only been under the hood on MacOs a couple of times, but I found it bewilderingly complex. Maybe it would make more sense with some effort, but from what I've heard MacOs is tougher to program than Windows.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Microsoft, even though I worked there briefly, but they do a very effective job of supporting programmers and thus most new software is written for Windows. It has a bigger potential for return (more computers out there running it) and there is a larger pool of programmers writing code for it.

We'll see what happens as portable devices with different operating systems become a larger and larger part of the market. The cost for power in computing as well as the size keeps going down. That does make it possible that a large OS like Windows may move to some sort of pad computer in the next few years.

Windows CE, which is a sort of Windows light for portable devices has been around for a while now. It never really took off because there were other competitors in the niche Microsoft was aiming for that were already well established and in many cases cheaper. Pad computers might allow something like the full blown Windows to be installed in something the size of an iPad, which would open the entire market for pad computers up to all Windows aps.

Bill

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 23
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/21/2011 10:42:03 PM   
Mynok

I can do pretty much whatever I want on my desktop through iTeleport on the iPad. But I would not want to play Witp that way. The screen is too small in that mode.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 24
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/22/2011 1:35:33 PM   
littleike

Try Splashtop for ipad. You can zoom in and out on the witp map and use virtual arrow keys to scroll.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 25
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/22/2011 2:12:50 PM   
Unzen

If the battery life on an iPad is equivalent to that of my iPhone, I'd guess that on a single charge, the game might make half-a-turn before running flat. ;)

Rusty 'ol Harpoon player - circa 1989 :P

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 26
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/22/2011 2:58:18 PM   
Numdydar

Battery life on an iPad is much much better. Mine can last several days on a single charge :)

(in reply to Unzen)
Post #: 27
RE: WitP for iPad! - 6/22/2011 5:44:33 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: littleike

Try Splashtop for ipad. You can zoom in and out on the witp map and use virtual arrow keys to scroll.

iTeleport does the same. It is still way to small to be useful.

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WitP for iPad! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI