Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What do these do? Air Groups Index...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> What do these do? Air Groups Index... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/19/2011 6:31:49 AM   
Shark7

OK, I'll post a picture so there is no confusion, but what do the Divide Group and Air Group check boxes under the air groups tab in the editor actually do? The others are more or less self explanatory, but I have no clue what these two do.

They are the two circled ones with the big arrow pointing to them.

Attachment (1)

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Post #: 1
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/19/2011 8:57:39 AM   
inqistor

I would guess "Divide" is for all those Detachments which start on map, and can be recombined into bigger unit. I can even see PARENT field for setting this.

No idea, what Air Group could mean.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 2
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/19/2011 2:22:39 PM   
michaelm

1. Divide group means that group can divide into 2 or 3 subunits.
Setting a Max Splits value turns this ON by default when loading scenario. Probably makes it a redundant setting in editor.

2. Air Group was an indicator that the group acts as a container for other groups. In essence a sort of USN Carrier Air Group (CAG).
You could define a Group to act as a CAG on a carrier and have other groups (upto 3 IIRC) belong to it. You could then move the CAG and the others would go with it it. You could assign a CAG leader who would influence combats by the connected groups, etc.

I had tested in originally, but so many changes have been made lately () that I'm not sure it is still working as designed. I'll probably re-visit this later to bring it up to date.

Michael

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 3
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/19/2011 6:51:22 PM   
Shark7

michaelm thank you for the explaination. Seems these are two I don't really need to worry with.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 4
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/21/2011 3:42:29 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

2. Air Group was an indicator that the group acts as a container for other groups. In essence a sort of USN Carrier Air Group (CAG).
You could define a Group to act as a CAG on a carrier and have other groups (upto 3 IIRC) belong to it. You could then move the CAG and the others would go with it it. You could assign a CAG leader who would influence combats by the connected groups, etc.

OK I'm intrigued by this one. How would this be accomplished? Set up a group (i.e. CAG) but assign no planes, etc and then for VF-x set CAG as parent? and repeat for the other air groups under that CAG?

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 5
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/21/2011 4:08:34 PM   
oldman45

I am interested too since the OOB shows fight groups and bomber groups. Would it work the same way?

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 6
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/21/2011 6:53:31 PM   
ny59giants

Is there a way for the Allied fighter groups to recombine later in the war into 75 plane groups?? It would be nice for this to start happening in 43 or beyond.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 7
RE: What do these do? Air Groups Index... - 6/22/2011 9:23:16 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

OK I'm intrigued by this one. How would this be accomplished? Set up a group (i.e. CAG) but assign no planes, etc and then for VF-x set CAG as parent? and repeat for the other air groups under that CAG?

Bump ... along with Oldman45s question

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> What do these do? Air Groups Index... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI