Noob questions

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

RealDarko

Noob questions

Post by RealDarko »

Purchased the game and started playing it. Some dobuts arise, hope someone can help.

-Is possible to create a random map and erase all the cities but the players capitals? Planning to slow down the production to a minimum in order to learn game faster.

-Is possible to play with cards in random game?

-How can I add a unit type to all regimes in default game?

Thats it. Thanks in advance
michael1776

RE: Noob questions

Post by michael1776 »

To answer your questions:

1) The best way to accomplish this is to set up a random game, with 1 city start. Be aware though, that even if you set the AI to "AI-" it will out produce you by a wide margin. I find myself playing on the defensive very quickly.

2) I am not aware of being able to use cards in a random game.

3) To accompish this you would have to create a new SFT Type in the editor. Along with setting all of the new attributes, you can set what People the new unit belongs to. I have dabbled with the editor and altered the generic load file that all random scenarios use. I would edit this file, and save it as another name, and then use that file to load scenarios from.

Hope this helps.

MJ
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

How well your war with the AI goes depends on your skill level with the game more than anything else. If you are new to AT/ATG, you may take a beating until you learn the intricacies on fighting a war in the ATG system. Also, if you play timidly or too cautiously, the AI can give you difficultly. If you try to play against too many AI at one time, you can get into trouble as well. I've played many games of AT and ATG and have only lost once to the AI.
ORIGINAL: michael1776

Be aware though, that even if you set the AI to "AI-" it will out produce you by a wide margin. I find myself playing on the defensive very quickly.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Stratos_MatrixForum

Post by Stratos_MatrixForum »

I tried but can't erase the cities from a random map. I want to start a random game with only 1 city (your capital) and erase the rest of the cities.
Also is possible to change the starting regime in random maps?
-If we have to retreat, where we will retreat sir??
-To graveyard!!
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Make the size map you want ( small will have the fewest cities). Go to editor and pick location type. Pick a type and erase the cities you do not want. You will also have to edit the hex I believe to eliminate the victory point.

To change regimes requires that you change the cities to the appropriate people. And edit regimes.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Iron Knight

Post by Iron Knight »

I think the simplest way to lower scenario production would just be to edit the loc type itself to have much less production. In the editor its LT then in City & Capitol, go to stats and lower prod pts.
springer

Post by springer »

Stratos,

If you want to erase cities from an already existing map, it's fairly straightforward.

1. Once the map is made, go into edit.
2. Go to the city you want to make disappear
3. Click "hex" in the editor bar
4. Click the pink hex on the top right side just underneath the city title.
The city is then gone. If you want to change the terrain from urban, you'll have to paint a new terrain type over it.

This way you can modify the number cities you want on a particular map you like. You can also use the editor to add extra cities.
EmTom

Post by EmTom »

I would follow Iron Knight's advice as it is much quicker and resolves production problem that RealDarko has. In addition some cities in terms of victory points are a nice addition to the game as they are natural centers of action in ATG as offensive operations are made to capture cities. Also it is good for game learning process to try to capture well defended city though I don't think that AI will be able to defend it THAT well...

You have to remember about factories however as AI will build some and will outproduce you greatly afterwards.
I'm with you since People's Tactics and I love it!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”