Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why the Pacific War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Why the Pacific War? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 12:23:42 AM   
oldman45

I like the naval war in the Med the best, this game is the next best thing ;)

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 31
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 2:01:57 AM   
jb123

Agree with a lot of posters here. Buttressed by my service in the Marine Corps, where the history I grew up fascinated by became larger-than-life myths.

But, the below is what really does it for me:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Another thing that fascinates me was the utter hatred each side had for the other, especially in the island battles.

I'm a (burgeoning) post-colonial Middle Eastern studies historian (guess what influenced that decision?). All of the questions associated with Empire, the decolonizing project and especially racism, both in Japan and the West, are all questions that capture my interest in post-World War 2 Middle Eastern history. The sheer grandiosity of the notions of Empire, and the radical ideas of shaping the world to bring about some sort of racial or social or capitalist utopia are mind boggling, and recent. The Pacific war brings a lot of these issues to the fore. (as does the Eastern front in Europe, which is a close third in grabbing my attention).

Plus, any one ever hear of cargo cults? Crazy crazy stuff.... Major commentary on modernity.

The game is simply the best war game I've ever played! Glad it revolves around a theater I'm interested in and not something obscure....

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 32
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 3:29:18 AM   
pnzrgnral

WWII in the Pacific is a favorite for me, because...well let's face it - where else can you find a pink submarine?

Rangers Lead The Way!

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 33
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 7:36:01 AM   
Pascal

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

Been interested in ww2 since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I suspect most of us here are gray beards.

+1 here!

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 34
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 9:00:35 PM   
CaptDave

In my case, it's first a fascination with World War II -- the last global, conventional war we'll see (I hope!) that involves all the services.  Then it comes down to the Pacific theater, because (a) although I'm ex-USAF, I've always had a fondness for the Navy; (b) I have an unexplained special interest in submarines; and (c) I grew up on the west coast, so am more inclined to things Pacific than to things Atlantic.

(in reply to Pascal)
Post #: 35
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/21/2011 10:49:29 PM   
AW1Steve

Because for much of the war the odds were even. And for the 1st 18 months, the war was against the allies. Sam Morrison called the ETO a "Land war supported by naval and air forces". He called the PTO "A naval war supported by air and land". By and large there were less civilians involved than Europe or Africa. That led to what Jim Webb called "The right kind of war", where no quarter was asked, nor any given. Total war , on a scale never seen before. You could put a dozen European theatres within the PTO. A unique war, of which we may never see the likes of again. (At least I sincerley hope not).

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 36
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 9:16:23 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pnzrgnral

WWII in the Pacific is a favorite for me, because...well let's face it - where else can you find a pink submarine?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to pnzrgnral)
Post #: 37
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 3:24:20 PM   
Schanilec

I always liked:

Lt. Stebbings: We could have transferred George Dickens from the interior if he hadn't gotten himself eaten that way.

Cmdr. Frank Houghton: You needn't make him sound such a shirker, Stebbings.

Love that movie.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

Post #: 38
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 3:59:27 PM   
mullk

I also had a fascination with WW2.  I find the naval aspect both Atlantic and pacific really enjoyable, but especially the pacific.  One of my first reads was two ocean war in the 6th grade.  I have enjoyed the history ever sense and still do to this day. I also had several family members who fought in the Pacific so some family history involved.

Started playing board games way back starting with panzer blitz.  My pinnacle of board war games was War in the Pacific by SPI.  My ex has a cat that took perverse pleasure in strolling across my map boards and knocking ALL of the counters everywhere.  I am not a cat person to start with so what happened between me and that cat after a while was not pretty...

< Message edited by mullk -- 6/22/2011 4:05:36 PM >

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 39
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 4:07:25 PM   
Schanilec

I see nothing.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to mullk)
Post #: 40
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 4:37:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

When I was a kid I used to read about all major battles in big Naval Encyclopedia we had (10 books in total)... those were the only naval history books my father and I had at the time... they had nice description of almost every naval battle and map in it (for WWII pacific the source was usually Morison)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 41
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 5:26:09 PM   
dr.hal

Apollo what happened to the books???

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 42
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 5:34:30 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Apollo what happened to the books???

I still have the books... don't worry... they were the only books with such thematics we had/owned at that time (i.e. 30+ years ago)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 43
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 8:21:09 PM   
Treetop64

Pretty much in line with most others here.  I love the history and scale of naval warfare and the hardware used, and there was a LOT of hardware used in the Pacific!  I also like the fact that the Burma and Chinese theaters are included in the game.  That gives the player a lot to do and think about when things are slow in the Pacific.  Particularly, the ground battles in China become epic just a few months into the war, similar to the movements on the Eastern front.

I'm a big fan of the Eastern front as well, similarly for the scale of events.

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 44
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/22/2011 11:33:33 PM   
ilovestrategy

I always wondered how each side felt in the South Pacific fighting on islands that the typical American or Japanese had never even heard about 6 months earlier.

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 45
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/23/2011 3:28:09 AM   
LST Express

I would imagine the average American just wanted to get out of whatever sandbox he found himself in, alive.

Post #: 46
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/23/2011 2:54:54 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

I would imagine the average American just wanted to get out of whatever sandbox he found himself in, alive.

True but it had to have been a different experience than the European Theater. In Europe yes, death came just as easy and as violent but everyone was familiar with Europe, Americans, British, Italians, French and Germans alike were all on common ground, for lack of a better term. Even the weather was the same in each sides homelands.

But the Pacific was different. The South Pacific was nothing like the States or Japan. Both sides were fighting each other in an alien environment. It might as well been Mars, it was so different for both sides.

I think that fascinates me above all else about the Pacific War.

Post #: 47
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/23/2011 7:59:02 PM   
mullk

I also think their is a certain amount of fighting an exotic enemy as well. I think most Americans would have felt much more in common with a German Soldier than a Japanese Soldier along with the environments that each would have built for themselves to make it more like "home". At least in America the level and type of propaganda was completely different between the Germans and Japanese.

Post #: 48
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/24/2011 1:36:49 PM   
Stelteck

I love history in general, but the war in the pacific is especially interesting for me, because it is an engineer's war. (And i'am an engineer, in airplane industry )

I mean, it is easier to forget about the soldiers and the humans fighting and dying to see it as a war of formidable machines. A war where planes and battlecruisers fights each others. A war where engineering requirements and technicals capabilities were tested far more than in many common war in the history.

(For example, the complete opposite is the east german/russian front which was a bloody mess......).

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 6/24/2011 1:54:11 PM >

(in reply to mullk)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Why the Pacific War? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI