Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why the Pacific War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why the Pacific War? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 6:41:12 AM   
ilovestrategy

What is it about the Pacific War that interests you guys(and Rhonda) so much that you spend literally years researching it?

For me, the vastness has always fascinated me. All the way from Alaska to the Solomons. All those battles on islands that resembled nothing like America or Japan, thousands of miles from each others homelands.

Also, naval wars have always kept my interest and that was the naval war of all naval wars.

Another thing that fascinates me was the utter hatred each side had for the other, especially in the island battles.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 7:35:37 AM   
bradfordkay

Like you, naval wars have always fascinated me but there is more to it than that. The Pacific Theatre was the pinnacle of the combined arms doctrine. All three major aspects were heavily involved: air, land and sea. No one branch could be ignored - they all had important parts to play in the campaigns. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 7:38:36 AM   
warspite1

I love history - particularly military history - and particularly World War II. Why the interest in the Pacific War?

As you say in your third point, the Pacific War was the naval war in terms of sheer size and scale.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 3
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 7:39:43 AM   
warspite1

BTW I've just seen you are on 2,501 posts ilovestrategy - congrats on your 5th star!!

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:30:47 AM   
Raverdave

The carrier battles, and also because it was close to home (kinda) with the battles in the Coral Sea, the Kokoda track, the shelling of Sydney, ships sunk by IJN subs all the way along the East Coast.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:35:12 AM   
Commander Cody

I've got a few reasons, but I think it started with that 1/48 Monogram F4F model I got for my 11th (?) birthday and cool movies like "Tora, Tora, Tora" and "Midway," not to mention shows like "McHale's Navy" and "Baa, Baa Black Sheep." I also ran into the "Baa, Baa Black Sheep" crew on my 7th Grade field trip to Universal Studios and I was taller than Robert Conrad (he played VMF-214 skipper Greg "Pappy" Boyington to those unfamiliar with the series). I also played a lot of AH's "Victory in the Pacific" as a kid. Anyway, the sheer epic scale of the battles and the playing field is certainly attractive to us gamers.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:36:43 AM   
JeffK

Who says the Pacific Theatre or even WW2 is a favourite.

I play WITPAE because its the best game covering a theatre I have an interest in, just like Wellington in the Penisula, The Western Desert and anywhere else the AIF left its (often graffitied) mark.

IMVHO, the dangerous ones who never lift their gaze from the Pacific!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 7
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:52:52 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

The carrier battles, and also because it was close to home (kinda) with the battles in the Coral Sea, the Kokoda track, the shelling of Sydney, ships sunk by IJN subs all the way along the East Coast.

I agree. Carrier battles are unique and few in history. Plus, the Japanese were a unique player. A nice change from the usual goosesteppin' and blitzkriegin' Germans people either loathe or worship. Oddly enough I find the logistics fascinating too.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 8
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 9:09:35 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

See SigPic.

Just referring to the tropical island setting, of course.

Ok - and carrier battles, combined arms, vastness etc.

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 9
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 2:09:26 PM   
jeffk3510

I really enjoy military history.  Mainly the Civil War, WWII, and Medieval history.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 2:09:57 PM   
Ossian

The scale, the ships, the submarines. Subs, in particular; I love stuff about the U-boat campaign and the Med but there is something quite different about the Sub war in the pacific.

There's other stuff. Go into a British bookshop and there will be hundreds of books about D-day, Normandy and Hitler. Perhaps a few about the desert war and Italy. There are seldom that many about the Pacific war. I think, for me at least, the names still carry an exotic quality to them. Tarawa, Gaudalcanal, Midway, Pearl.

I think for the British as well the Pacific and the far east represent blows to the being of the Empire that the western front never really did. The fall of Singapore and the largely but important Burma campaign, for example, are elements of British history that are not as well known as they should be.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, aircraft carriers rock. They rock very hard indeed.

Pure honking, big man.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 11
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 3:14:29 PM   
crsutton

I just love ships. (and planes, tanks and trains for that matter)-especially when they are shooting at each other. I know war is not a healthy pursuit but I can't help but be facinated with.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 12
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 6:55:47 PM   
Local Yokel

Over the years my interest in things military has ranged over the campaign in NW Europe, Germany's war with the Soviet Union, Bomber Command's campaign and the Battle of Britain. But way back in the late 1950's my father, in general a man who had little time for military matters, sat me down in front of the television and said 'This is a programme worth watching'.

Only in black and white on a 405 lines CRT, but up comes the glittering swell of that opening sequence, and Richard Rodger's majestic theme playing over it: Victory at Sea!

Looking at it again now I'm stuck by its jingoism and lack of sophistication by today's standards. Yet I'm sure the series planted a seed of fascination in me that has lasted a lifetime.

"And now... the Pacific boils over!"

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 13
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:07:28 PM   
m10bob

Around 1963 it became a tradition in our family to order a "Big Hoss Pizza" and as soon as it arrived, I would get out a fresh edition of Air Classics, or Flying Review International.
One weekend, I was munching down the greasy pizza and reading a story of the airedales who served in the Pacific, and how winning their wings allowed them to go from Coke to beer, (paycheck wise)..
Loved that particular issue and those mags for years.
Back then, with only Avalon Hill around, I was trying to envision everthing WITP later became!!
So help me, WITP really was everything I had looked for since those years.

AE just improved it by 80%.

Post #: 14
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 8:36:28 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Back then, with only Avalon Hill around, I was trying to envision everthing WITP later became!!
So help me, WITP really was everything I had looked for since those years.

AE just improved it by 80%.

+1

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 15
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/17/2011 10:47:52 PM   
jamesm

A number of reasons for me, was the vastness of the theatre, the scale of the fighting and the forces involved and the incredible changes it caused in Australia, from outlooks with regards to other countries, The very large wave of emigration that was triggered after the war (Arthur Caldwell once Australian Minister for Immigration once stated "Populate or perish") to industrialisation.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 16
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/18/2011 1:06:46 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

BTW I've just seen you are on 2,501 posts ilovestrategy - congrats on your 5th star!!

Thanks!

Good responses. I also love WW2 carriers.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/18/2011 1:17:47 AM   
topeverest

I have a voracious appetite for military history, strategy, and wargames. I am not too particular - from Thermopyle to Agincourt to Port Arthur to Rorkes Drift to Tet to Normany to the Somme to Gettysburg. They all have lessons to teach us about the spirit of a soldier and the burden of leadership

This is just the best game I have ever played on the subject, and one of the best games I have played in any genre, on or off computer. It's easy to get humbled.

Andy M

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 18
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/18/2011 1:37:22 AM   
J Boomer

For the me the biggest thing was the carriers, was always facinated. That and I have always liked military history, at a very young age I was very facinated with the WWII fortifications in my home town of Terrace (which is on the map in this game!).

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 19
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/18/2011 2:46:24 AM   
DivePac88

Why the Pacific war; Well for me it is the fascination of this conflict being the first, and only big 'Engine War'. This campaign used human'engines of war' on and under the Sea, on the land and in the air on a vast scale. It was also a war were the arts of military science had to catch up with the use of these machines.

Yes I also love the carrier warfare, and the tactics and luck involved in those battles. But most of all it has everything, every type of warfare, and fought in every type of terrain.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Post #: 20
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/18/2011 5:07:40 AM   
John 3rd

I loved it initially through John Wayne (They Were Expendable, Harm's Way, and Sands of Iwo Jima), 1/700 Waterline Models, then the Bantam paperback war books, Avalon Hill's Flattop and the Iron Bottom Sound games, and then a highly skilled Military History High School Teacher. Spent 10 years in College with History and Political Science then went on to teach College for nearly 15 years.

Think this basically haven't had a life since I was about 7...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/18/2011 5:08:26 AM >

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 21
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 4:56:30 AM   
usersatch

Ben Affleck did it for me

Seriously though, pretty much everything mentioned here...the sheer scale, the combined arms, the logistics, Victory at Sea and Samuel Elliot Morrison.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 22
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 2:28:39 PM   
nashvillen

One word: Logistics. Enough said.

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 23
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 4:37:20 PM   
Phanatik

It's elemental:

I love the sea,

Dirt is blah.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 24
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 5:05:42 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

What is it about the Pacific War that interests you guys(and Rhonda) so much that you spend literally years researching it?

For me, the vastness has always fascinated me ...

I think that lends itself to how the Allied player might approach Japan, compared with how those invasion routes historically happened.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 25
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 5:20:34 PM   
dr.hal

When I think why am I here, I tend to think that hidden feelings drove me in this direction, feelings that I'm only just "seeing". My father flew "the hump" and my uncle sailed in the Santa Fe for two years, got transferred to a coastal minesweeper and one week after the war ended the boat was hit by a typhoon with almost all hands lost...including my uncle. So many of us, who look deep, might find a really personal connection.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 26
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 5:26:30 PM   
dr.hal

Speaking of personal notes, when I was doing my Ph.D. in Aberdeen Scotland, I had a colleague/friend from Japan. Back then there was only the board game from Victory Games, but that was fantastic for me at the time. I tried to get my very good friend from Japan to "combat" me, each taking the side of our ancestors, however he refused. The reason for his refusal was simple and had a very interesting impact on me. He said he would not play something that made a "game" out of so much death and destruction, it dishonors those that died. I could see his point, BUT I countered with the argument (that I still hold on to even today) that by playing the game it gives me a better insight into what the actual players were up against, and that insight leads to greater understanding and appreciation for those that did ultimately pay the highest of prices.... Thoughts??? Hal

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 27
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 6:24:54 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

... I could see his point, BUT I countered with the argument (that I still hold on to even today) that by playing the game it gives me a better insight into what the actual players were up against, and that insight leads to greater understanding and appreciation for those that did ultimately pay the highest of prices.... Thoughts??? Hal

The old Koei -- "we supply the past, you make the history" -- games said you would learn more about yourself by simply playing their semi-historical sims.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 28
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 6:51:08 PM   
JonReb

The incredible scope and epicness the Pacific battlefield created has always fascinated me. I also live for the carrier battles.. so much influenced by so few.

< Message edited by JonReb -- 6/20/2011 8:25:46 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 29
RE: Why the Pacific War? - 6/20/2011 7:07:04 PM   
LST Express

Been interested in ww2 since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I suspect most of us here are gray beards.

(in reply to JonReb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why the Pacific War? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI