Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Separate Tank Battalion SU's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Separate Tank Battalion SU's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/16/2011 8:37:01 PM   
traemyn

A few questions on these tank battalion support units:

1. Is the probabilty these will be committed to battle affected by the HQ leader's Mech attribute?

2. Is any extra advantage to attaching these to a leader with a high Mech attribute?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/16/2011 8:51:07 PM   
cookie monster

1. No it's to do with Initiative rating

Plus they are vying for allocation with the HQ's other support units, so may not be commited.

2. Of course! AFV's perform better under high Mech rated leaders.

The biggest problem with them is that they take sooo many vehicles, which could be better used elsewhere.

So don't build too many.

(in reply to traemyn)
Post #: 2
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/17/2011 7:19:57 AM   
jomni

I currently have thousands of unallocated T34 and KV1s in my pool.  So I build 1 Sep Tank Bn (and Sapper) for each signle Corps. :)

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/17/2011 9:24:57 AM   
Omat

Hello

I think the bottleneck are more the trucks (vehicle)than the tanks. But with the patch 1.04.28 the Lend Lease vehicle imports are increased.....

Omat

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I currently have thousands of unallocated T34 and KV1s in my pool.  So I build 1 Sep Tank Bn (and Sapper) for each signle Corps. :)

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
Anatole France

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/17/2011 2:19:04 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

The biggest problem with them is that they take sooo many vehicles

You must be confusing them with something else.

Tank battalions take only 11 vehicles in 1942, which is (in terms of vehicles) an extremely cheap and economical way of getting tanks into a battle. Tank brigades require close to 200 and for only a few more tanks, so disbanding the Tank brigades or putting them to static, and using Tank battalions attached to corps instead is a much more economical way of putting tanks at the frontline aside from the Tank/cavalry/mechanized corps.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 5
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/17/2011 4:15:35 PM   
Q-Ball

When they expand to Tank Regts, though, I think they use alot more; like 180+. Then, they are not so economical.

I would be nice if someone had a table of Vehicle costs for all the Soviet TOEs and their future iterations. Since Vehicles are one of the main force limitations for the Red Army, you need to know what the Vehicle allocation is for each unit. That's not in the TOE display.

We can then use that to determine the most economical way to get Tanks to the front; almost by looking at it as a Tank/vehicle ratio

One reason everyone likes Cav Corps is that the entire Corps uses only 150 or so Vechicles, even after gaining attached Tank Regts. This unit is very efficient at getting mobility, armor, and firepower up front at a "cheap" cost in Vehicles.

Mech Corps rock, but of course are Vehicle hogs.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 6
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 6/17/2011 4:57:16 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

When they expand to Tank Regts, though, I think they use alot more; like 180+. Then, they are not so economical.

True, that's mostly because there are infantry squads in the unit I think. Still, it's 100 vehicles less than a Tank brigade at that point.

I prefer to keep the on-map Soviet army as small as possible in terms of units. What use are units that you can't or barely use because there's either no room on the frontline, or units that are on average pretty understrength? From that perspective, units that you can attach to corps and that don't clutter the map are nice to have.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 12/18/2011 6:10:36 PM   
Vorsteher

Can tank battalions convert in guards ? When ?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 8
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 12/18/2011 6:22:11 PM   
Flaviusx

If they get enough wins, they'll gain guards status.

I think the late war heavy tank regiments get guards status automatically, too.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Vorsteher)
Post #: 9
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 12/18/2011 6:27:07 PM   
ComradeP

Actually, I think there's a bug if they're supposed to be able to convert, because none of my Tank battalions have converted and some should convert by default at this point due to having more than 24 wins.

I'll ask Pavel, I've intended to do so for a few days, but I wanted to be sure first.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 10
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 12/19/2011 11:04:23 AM   
Mehring

RE: Vehicles.

Yes, this should be a consideration in building units or not. However, I noticed in a recent game that even if lack of vehicles has a detrimental effect on the Russians, it did not prevent stupendous advances against resistance and attendant extended supply lines from rail heads. I gained a victory against a good opponent in December 1943. I hate to think what my forces could have done had they not been 30-50% short in the vehicle pool for all of 1943 and a good chunk of 1942.

In the course of the game I went from ignoring vehicle consumption to suddenly realising I was 50% short and tightening up on their use, to relaxing again as the deficit wasn't hurting.

In short, vehicles look to me like another logistics mechanism that doesn't work.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 11
RE: Separate Tank Battalion SU's - 12/20/2011 11:06:02 PM   
ComradeP

Tank battalions can't convert to Guards, because battalions can't convert to Guards, but the regiments theoretically should be able to convert to Guards.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Separate Tank Battalion SU's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI