Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B-Mod for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> B-Mod for AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B-Mod for AE - 6/12/2011 10:23:13 PM   
Big B

Hi,
With what I am trying to make a minimal of fanfare about - I finished a new B-Mod for AE.
It is ready to download here: Big B's Shipyard
To quote from the description I printed on my site:

quote:

This is B-Mod for AE,
Scenario 198 v.1 This is Stock Scenario 6 (Dec 8th 1941), with art enhancements, and changes made to fighter aircraft and warship stats.
Scenario 199 v.1 This is Stock Scenario 1 (Dec 7th 1941), with art enhancements, and changes made to fighter aircraft and warship stats.

Download all 6 files below, and place where indicated.

B-Mod changes:
Aircraft stats & maneuver ratings modified using original AE formulas and Dev Team Data. Aircraft guns range have been modified using exterior ballistics research for each gun type (a project I volunteered for during AE development - but never instituted).
The LaGG-3 & Mig-3 aircraft will begin being available to the Soviets at small rates in Dec 1941 instead of 1945, and the La-5FN will begin arriving in in Jan 1944 instead of 1945. This is historical (and less than 10% of Soviet production), and gives the Soviet Union some more advanced fighters (better than I-16) before 1945 - should the Japanese begin hostilities prior to 1945.
New Ship Art, as well as Cathartes new 'plane tops', for Allied & Japanese, are included.
New warship stats, using Nathan Okun's gun & armor Data, and standardizing warship tonnage and durability by "Conway's" Standard Displacement figures.
Also, Allied units starting in the Philippines, DEI, Malaya, and Borneo are free to move and relocate (except for large CD Guns), making strategic and tactical redeployment possible.
No other changes have been made, and no OOB changes have been made.

I hope some of you may enjoy it.

B

Post #: 1
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/14/2011 9:05:15 AM   
JeffK

Downloadeded. are there any particular changes you made you want some feedback on?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 2
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/14/2011 6:13:09 PM   
Big B

Hi Jeffk,
I guess if you find anything missing or some glaring omission - it would be very nice to know, so I may fix it (I don't think that is too likely to happen - but you never know ).
You can always feel free to share your thoughts...

Thanks,
B

< Message edited by Big B -- 6/14/2011 6:15:46 PM >

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 3
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/15/2011 6:22:56 PM   
inqistor

What are general guidelines for your changes of aircrafts, and ships?

I recently discovered, that there were serious vehicles armor quality differences between nations, and it seems USSR produced best armor from all combatants. On the other way, USA quality was quite poor, especially for cast. I am wondering if this also applies for ships armor.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 4
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/15/2011 7:12:27 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

I recently discovered, that there were serious vehicles armor quality differences between nations, and it seems USSR produced best armor from all combatants. On the other way, USA quality was quite poor, especially for cast. I am wondering if this also applies for ships armor.

Ah...

AIR, WWII Soviet tank armour was poor quality. Their cast armour was prone to lots of inclusions. WWII American armour quality was typically very good. This pattern carried over to warship armour.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 5
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/15/2011 7:16:15 PM   
Big B

The aircraft stats were from AE Dev team data and formulas (which is proprietary), and gun armor stats were taken from Nathan Okun's data.

quote:

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 6
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/16/2011 7:51:31 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

The aircraft stats were from AE Dev team data and formulas (which is proprietary), and gun armor stats were taken from Nathan Okun's data.

Great page!
I took a quick look. So basically, it means, that some types of armor can be weaker, up to 5%?
Have you implemented it for every possibility, like:
Turret armor can have different quality, than hull armor,
Ships were build between wars, or even during WWI, and armor quality was then different
Ship was build by other nation (I think Japan had some British build ships)

How to quickly update ships/airgroups? When I change plane, or ship class, on-map airgroup/ship do not update automatically. I have to manually chose it, and get class from drop-down menu, for it to update to new statistics.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 7
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/16/2011 8:14:48 PM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Great page!
I took a quick look. So basically, it means, that some types of armor can be weaker, up to 5%?
Have you implemented it for every possibility, like:
Turret armor can have different quality, than hull armor,
Ships were build between wars, or even during WWI, and armor quality was then different
Ship was build by other nation (I think Japan had some British build ships)

How to quickly update ships/airgroups? When I change plane, or ship class, on-map airgroup/ship do not update automatically. I have to manually chose it, and get class from drop-down menu, for it to update to new statistics.

Nathan is as good as you'll find in the open literature. I used to do his German-English translations, and he's sharp.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 8
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/16/2011 8:18:28 PM   
Sardaukar

Some people might also have some interest at my fellow TankNet forumite and gun author Anthony G. Williams pages at:

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/miltech.htm

and especially the: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm (WWII Fighter armament effectiveness).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 9
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/16/2011 8:29:49 PM   
inqistor

Heh, so I will also give links for page about vehicles armor, I have found recently:

USA armor quality

Soviet Union armor quality

Page is compilation of data. Also about how penetration tests were done in different Nations.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/16/2011 10:42:51 PM   
herwin

quote:

Heh, so I will also give links for page about vehicles armor, I have found recently:

USA armor quality

Soviet Union armor quality

Page is compilation of data. Also about how penetration tests were done in different Nations.

OK, I see. Hardness, not resistance to penetration. Be aware that too high a hardness made armour brittle. The Soviet figures were high.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 11
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/17/2011 5:28:29 PM   
inqistor

Uuu, uuu interesting fragment:
quote:

A detonation, even a partial one, will usually break up the projectile body around it into many small pieces, though the thick nose of a base-fuzed, small-to-medium-sized filler (under 6.5% detonating filler), Common/SAP or AP projectile will usually remain in one piece, with some large chunks flying forward in a ring around the central heavy nose piece.

I wonder if this also apply to smaller calibers. So, in-game terms, if filler OVER 6.5% should produce MORE pieces, and so - have more Soft Attack ability.

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin
OK, I see. Hardness, not resistance to penetration. Be aware that too high a hardness made armour brittle. The Soviet figures were high.

There is there part, about Face Hardened armor, which tends to crack, when hit by larger calibers. But it seems, for most tank-tank engagements it will not be issue.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 12
RE: B-Mod for AE - 6/17/2011 6:46:17 PM   
herwin

quote:

Uuu, uuu interesting fragment:
quote:

A detonation, even a partial one, will usually break up the projectile body around it into many small pieces, though the thick nose of a base-fuzed, small-to-medium-sized filler (under 6.5% detonating filler), Common/SAP or AP projectile will usually remain in one piece, with some large chunks flying forward in a ring around the central heavy nose piece.

I wonder if this also apply to smaller calibers. So, in-game terms, if filler OVER 6.5% should produce MORE pieces, and so - have more Soft Attack ability.

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

There is there part, about Face Hardened armor, which tends to crack, when hit by larger calibers. But it seems, for most tank-tank engagements it will not be issue.

Definitely an issue. That's how overmatched armour fails.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 13
RE: B-Mod for AE - 7/10/2011 2:25:33 AM   
Halsey

bump...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> B-Mod for AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI