Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie needs Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Newbie needs Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie needs Help - 6/11/2011 12:32:00 PM   
Stuebi

Hey Guys!

I just started playing Distant Worlds, and as the Threadname states im having a few problems.

I played the tutorials but the sheer number of Ressources, functions and features are a bit much for me. My major problem is how to decide where to build new Colonys, and which Ressources i should get first. Or in short what are the important things to do after i start?

The second thing is automation, its a cool feature but i kinda wonder how good the Decisions are the AI makes. It would be cool if someone can tell me which actions i can leave to the AI without worrys.

Thanks in advance for all answers and excuse m ý bad english^^
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie needs Help - 6/11/2011 12:47:42 PM   
Data

Hi Stuebi and welcome to the forum. Let's see

1) I played the tutorials but the sheer number of Ressources, functions and features are a bit much for me. My major problem is how to decide where to build new Colonys, and which Ressources i should get first. Or in short what are the important things to do after i start?

use the expansion planner, check the various columns it provides -> this is a top level view of what you need.

2) The second thing is automation, its a cool feature but i kinda wonder how good the Decisions are the AI makes. It would be cool if someone can tell me which actions i can leave to the AI without worrys.

Opinions vary here so best to test it for yourself; I play on manual with everything so I can't really tell which is best for auto or not. But the best thing for you would be to put them all on suggest; this way you understand how auto works and can decide for yourself what to leave at that, what to completly automate and what to have on manual.

There are a couple of good threads for beginners, I'll look them up and post them here for you.
Have fun.

< Message edited by Data -- 6/11/2011 4:19:58 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Stuebi)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie needs Help - 6/11/2011 12:49:12 PM   
Data

Here's an excellent one -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2453216
It's good to check the AAR section as you get many great tips from players that documented games and how they started them.

< Message edited by Data -- 6/11/2011 12:50:25 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie needs Help - 6/11/2011 12:54:01 PM   
Data

Here's the second one -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2676622

That's it, have fun readind and playing.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie needs Help - 6/11/2011 3:49:41 PM   
cookie monster

Automate everything then play around with a feature until you learn it.

One step at a time baby steps.

It runs ok fully automated, so turn off auto when your experienced enough

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie needs Help - 6/12/2011 10:49:36 AM   
Data

Yap, this will also give you an idea about how the enemy AI's are playing the game, so you can start multiple games on auto but with different races.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Newbie needs Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI