Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The great destroyer Ikazuichi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> The great destroyer Ikazuichi Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/10/2011 6:26:04 PM   
Disco Duck

The Warspite ended up with about 30 floatation damage after this. The Destroyer was untouched.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/10/2011 8:32:07 PM   
AcePylut9

0% moonlight, Overcast conditions.

Jap DD went hunting and when it found something, the cap'n went "oh crap", fired 2 torps and a bunch of shells on a maximum retreat away from the Allies.  Allies couldn't find the DD.

I find no problem with this.  I also find no problem with about 99% of the threads that complain about "odd results" (not that you are complaining, I'm just throwing that out) because it doesn't seem that people ever want to pay attn to the weather.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 2
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/10/2011 10:40:35 PM   
bigred

yep, knife fight at close range...

(in reply to AcePylut9)
Post #: 3
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/10/2011 11:18:03 PM   
spence

I don't actually have a problem with this but the AAR seems kinda strange:

Warspite is (or should be) the most experienced ship: it's been in a fair number of real (victorious) gunfights by this time in the war
Warspite has radar
These are mostly asides

The real puzzlement stems from the maximum visibility reported and the series of reports regarding range etc that constitute the report of the action. Perhaps the poster cut those off? They seem to end with the ships at 14000 yds on a night that the visual only IJN ship can only see 2000 yds.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 4
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/10/2011 11:33:55 PM   
thegreatwent

A breakdown in light discipline perhaps?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/11/2011 1:40:49 AM   
Disco Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I don't actually have a problem with this but the AAR seems kinda strange:

Warspite is (or should be) the most experienced ship: it's been in a fair number of real (victorious) gunfights by this time in the war
Warspite has radar
These are mostly asides

The real puzzlement stems from the maximum visibility reported and the series of reports regarding range etc that constitute the report of the action. Perhaps the poster cut those off? They seem to end with the ships at 14000 yds on a night that the visual only IJN ship can only see 2000 yds.

I am not complaining. I just thought it was funny. Perhaps there were a lot of messages to the Destroyer to get back on station.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 6
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/11/2011 9:33:15 AM   
inqistor

Well, Allied TF was too large, and visibility was almost 0. They were lucky, ships did not collided.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 7
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/11/2011 2:31:59 PM   
Disco Duck

When I visited Battleship cove. They had a recorded history from one of the RADAR operators who said his primary job was to keep track of the other ships to prevent a collision.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 8
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/11/2011 3:33:52 PM   
crsutton

Plus the Allied SCTF was way too large for a night battle in WITP. As it would have been in the real deal-especially in March of 42. This is been discussed many times in the forum and confirmed many times. A large SCTF at night is very vulnerable often with the big ships never firing a shot and then eating torpedoes. I find the optimum TF size for a night action to be six to eight ships depending on experience and commander. Any larger and some ships seem to fail to get into the action.

This is not new. It was the

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 9
RE: The great destroyer Ikazuichi - 6/12/2011 1:22:00 AM   
bigred

I was watching the miltary channel last night.  The night battle at Gaud canal was playing.  USN admiral Callihan.
IIRC Seems the USN placed the radar ships in the rear of the TF.  The DD Laffey was to the front of the battle line as it crossed the T on the IJN as the nips were coming down the slot and Callahan was headed north.  Callahan ordered a westerly turn and put the Laffey between two columns of NIPs

When the Star shell was fired the Laffey was 1500m from the Hiei!!! The Laffey fired up the Hiei and killed some of the ship command group and scraped the rear hull of said ship....then the Hiei put some 14 inch shells into the laffey which did not survive that fight...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Laffey_%28DD-459%29

Wiki implied the Laffey opened at long range. The military channel said the Laffey opened fire at 1500ft. Interesting.

< Message edited by bigred -- 6/16/2011 12:24:17 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> The great destroyer Ikazuichi Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI