Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night Flying

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Night Flying Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night Flying - 6/2/2011 3:02:05 PM   
dr.hal

I've asked this question within threads but it seems to have gotten lost, so I've started a new thread. I'm trying to beef up my night flying skills in the Allied camp, but I'm not sure how they are "measured". Are they a separate pilot skill set from the daytime flying? Do new skill numbers appear when a squadron is switched? I simply don't have a way to assess their capabilities at night, at least as far as I know. Also mentioned in one thread is the fact that the Allies start out the grand campaign with at least one squadron (Brits?) trained in night fighting tactics, is this true and if so can someone tell me which squadron(s)? Given my first question, how will I tell that this squadron(s) has these skills? If you train at night, does it impact your day time skill set? Finally, given the hazards of flying at night (I was on the Constellation for two and a half years and saw these hazards first hand!) does the accident rate rise (dramatically?) if you switch a squadron from daytime flying to nighttime flying (even for land based A/C)? Thanks in advance. Hal
Post #: 1
RE: Night Flying - 6/2/2011 4:37:07 PM   
Alfred

There is no discrete subset of night flying skills. The differences which pertain to flying at night are covered in s.7.2.1.3 of the manual and they do not depend on nor utilise any skill set other than the listed skill sets which apply to both day and night flying operations.

Night fighter aircraft have radar installed. You can use night fighters solely on day opeations, you can use day fighters solely on night operations.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Night Flying - 6/2/2011 7:43:47 PM   
crsutton

And, many will agree, that there seems to be no difference between a night fighter at night and any ole regular aircraft. Both do not kill much but both will discourage attacks and lessen bombing accuracy. So don't fret over night fighters too much as any handy squadron will suffice.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Night Flying - 6/2/2011 9:06:57 PM   
dr.hal

Thanks Alfred (yet again) and crsutton. This is interesting. However at the risk of speaking ill of the living, let alone the dead, I would submit that this is in no way a reflection of reality. Night flying TODAY is more dangerous than day flying let alone 70 years ago when it was considered downright reckless! And the resulting accuracy of a pilot's skills (like in bombing) would also be diminished by a huge factor. But the game certainly reflects the fact that it is harder to FIND someone in the dark....Hal

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Night Flying Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI