Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice sought

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Advice sought Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice sought - 6/1/2011 9:32:39 PM   
Swayin

I'm thinking of trying to create a scenario of Nopac, CentPac, SoPac and SWPac only; no China, India, Malaysia, etc ... the map would basically cut over from Noumea west enough to then cut north and get Java and the PI, leave out malaysia and FIC and keep going north and then over for the Aleutians ...

Here are my intitial thoughts and I hope you can provide some advice:

---> Taking the Brits and Chinese out of it makes things more focused, but I need to model the drain that those theaters would have on the Japanese war effort ... one thought I had would be to keep some of the Chinese ports and boost their output to make up for the "loss" of the Japanese ability to gather supply from Singapore, Rangoon, etc.

---> Somehow triggering a loss of theoretical throughput for the Japanese when the PI and/or Okinawa are taken, simulating the inability to get convoys through once those areas are taken by the US.

---> Because the Japanese will be able to focus all their ships and materiele on targets other than India/Burma/China/Malaysia, I need to winnow down these forces to simulate the fact that these theaters are still operating ... how best to do this fairly and accurately?

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Post #: 1
RE: Advice sought - 6/9/2011 12:20:05 AM   
Swayin

Anyone? anyone at all? <crickets>

One thing I did discover so far in playtesting is that ships can get "stuck" if the new map edge forces what looks to be a one-hex channel; for example, my new map cuts Java in half north/south, which seems to leave one or two hexes to circumnavigate Borneo -- but TF's get hung up on either side of that and actually enter some sort of null zone where they appear on the map bnut never move and can't be retreived or opened up and sent home. The fix is going to be opening the map up to include all of Java (historically part of SWPAC anyway) ... will just have a ton of trimming work to remove UK units in Singapore and India to do.

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice sought - 6/11/2011 9:26:52 AM   
inqistor

Well, that will be hard. China/Burma should suck quite a lot of supply, so it is not issue. It will only produce resources.

You can probably safely get rid of part of Merchant Fleet, Burma output may be enough to refuel those deleted ships, so again, this is not issue. Since there is Java/Sumatra present, I understand there is also Palembang, so no need to do something with Philippines, as most of oil centers are on-map.

It is easy to check larger LCUs, which took part in China/Burma, so deleting them will solve problem. It will be harder, to estimate ships, which were used to transport/supply those theatres.

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice sought - 6/11/2011 10:46:16 PM   
Swayin

Thanks, inquisitor, and yes, you've struck the central issue - maintaining play balance and score balance. I have kept a ring of port cities from Korea to Singapore to force the Japanese merchant marine to still have to play fetch; the armies used to occupy china are doing their jobs "off board" and are not available to the Japanese player ... so while those cities are not providing resouces or VPs, the J player also does not need to keep them in supply (unlike the aforementioned supply ports). So as i'm playtesting, I'm looking to see if the Japanese, if successful for those first 6 months, can still spring out to that big lead despite not getting the VPs for China and Burma, although I have bumped up the VPs for those port cities to offset that somewhat. Very interesting so far ... and good fun. Also need to see if the supply avilabel to them is enough to keep the expansion going should they take it all.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Advice sought Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI