Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> The War Room >> Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/30/2011 8:01:32 PM   
general_solomon

Hey Guys,

I was reading that the Germans developed a defensive technique called Pakfront (anti-armor units) which was later used by the soviets to great effect at kursk and elsewhere.

to counter this, the Panzer commanders developed the armored bell ( panzerglocke) formation. the heavy tanks at the center and the medium tanks to the right and rear and light tanks behind the center.

I could not find any diagrams online to illustrate both tactics. can someone here both concepts with some sceenshots or diagrams. I am a visual person and need to see it to my head around the concept.

thanks,

Gen. Solomon
Post #: 1
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/30/2011 8:05:11 PM   
junk2drive

I'll bet that the shortage of heavy tanks helped develop that tactic. Sounds like a wedge formation with 3 heavys and a couple of lights on the wings.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 2
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/30/2011 8:23:10 PM   
general_solomon

actually, from what i read, this armored bell formation was developed because the wedge formation could not counteract the Pakfronts.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/30/2011 9:40:50 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

New weapons brought with them new tactics, most notably the Panzerglocke [tank bell], "with (super-)heavy tanks in the center, medium tanks to the right and left in a widening arch, light tanks behind the center and held ready for pursuit."[37] The Germans felt that this was the best formation to confront a wide front.

&

The Panzerglocke replaced the Panzerkeil [tank wedge] as the standard armor formation. The Panzerkeil used a spearhead assault made up of medium and heavy tanks to break through enemy defenses.

The author of the article quoted above got the information from:
quote:

F. W. von Mellenthin, Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War, trans. H. Betzler (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1956)

If I were to guess why the change was made: a wedge is not effective when breaking through a wide front, as a breakthrough doesn't automatically threaten the enemy position if the rest of the line holds. All it will do is cause the spearhead to more or less automatically isolate themselves as the follow-up troops are harassed from the flanks of the breakthrough point.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 5/30/2011 9:42:29 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Post #: 4
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/30/2011 11:10:53 PM   
general_solomon

you are correct. most articles on the net reference the Panzerkeil. this was the first time I came accross the Panzerglocke.

have you had the opportunity to used either tactic in your long campaign?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 5
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/31/2011 2:30:34 AM   
general_solomon

I found a graphical representaton:

http://www.woods-car.com/tanks/sld006.htm

I dont know who to paste the picture directly on this page. maybe someone else can do it for me.

J2D: thanks for the picture below.

< Message edited by general_solomon -- 5/31/2011 2:46:32 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/31/2011 2:32:26 AM   
junk2drive

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 7
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/31/2011 10:48:53 AM   
ComradeP

quote:

have you had the opportunity to used either tactic in your long campaign?

I don't have, nor will I get (at least not core ones), heavy tanks, so tactics/formations were one group of tanks essentially acts as a piñata, drawing fire and diverting fire from the rest are not really possible. I keep my Panzer IIB's some distance from the front as even a DShK can destroy them.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 6/1/2011 7:12:29 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts - 5/31/2011 12:36:17 PM   
Richie61

Some really interesting "slides" on that site about armor formations. 

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> The War Room >> Panzerglocke vs Pakfronts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI