Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (no Q-Ball please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (no Q-Ball please) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 9:42:21 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Thanks for great game and AAR!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 601
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 10:29:05 AM   
Speedy

Congrats for a good game and for sticking in here Tarhunnas

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 602
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 10:51:08 AM   
BigAnorak

Great AAR, which showed that getting Leningrad only makes a real difference if you get the Crimea and as close to Rostov as you can in 1941. The south is really hard to defend due to the clear terrain, and if you can't trade space for time to fall back to a strongly defended Dneiper River in 1943, it will always be hard to slow the Soviets down, and I think they were at least 6 months ahead of schedule in this game.

It has always been tough for the Axis to make good progress in the south in 1941 and 1942, but initial signs are that the new entrenchment rules in 1.05 will make the southern flank a little less hard work for the axis than it is at the moment.

(in reply to Speedy)
Post #: 603
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 11:36:31 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Great AAR Tarhunnas! I'll keep yours and Q-Ball's threads bookmarked. Even with 1.05 they will be a good reference :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

Great AAR, which showed that getting Leningrad only makes a real difference if you get the Crimea and as close to Rostov as you can in 1941. The south is really hard to defend due to the clear terrain, and if you can't trade space for time to fall back to a strongly defended Dneiper River in 1943, it will always be hard to slow the Soviets down, and I think they were at least 6 months ahead of schedule in this game.

It has always been tough for the Axis to make good progress in the south in 1941 and 1942, but initial signs are that the new entrenchment rules in 1.05 will make the southern flank a little less hard work for the axis than it is at the moment.

I completely agree with your first paragraph, BigA. Securing the eastern Ukraine and Crimea is key for the German to keep the First Winter manageable. However, I disagree with the second paragraph.

While AGS armor is limited, my Axis opponents tend to be unable to assign to it realistic objectives. They seem to oscillate between going first for Kharkov or going directly for Stalino, ending up going for the "middle". Focusing on Kharkov first, and then, during early October and snow turns on Stalino, would probably mean that both cities get in the bag. The usual outcome of this Buridan's ass like strategy is that only one of them is conquered or none.

One major factor introduced by 1.04 and 1.05 is that freeing up the Finns isn't that critical anymore, and might even open up interesting options in the north for the Soviets (it actually did in this game). Even leaving the finns south of the no-move line sitting on their butts doesn't seem to me as a wise move. While the 4. PzGruppe is very necessary to open up Soviet defenses on the Leningrad approaches, once these are crushed, I think it can play a far more decisive role on Moscow.

Most of the time 3. PzGruppe and 2. PzGruppe team up to take on to this objective, advancing along a narrow corridor between Rzhev and Vyazma. While this maneuver keeps the German armor concentrated, it also makes very predictable its possible attack axis.

A three-pronged assault on the capitol - say 4. PzGruppe along the Rzhev - Kalinin direction, 3. PzGruppe along the Vyazma - Kaluga direction and 2. PzGruppe along the Orel - Tula direction would probably be impossible to stop, even in front of the most stern Soviet defense. And it would probably draw resources from the south, creating opportunities to be exploited by AGS.

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 604
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 1:49:17 PM   
Klydon

Terrific AAR and great game from both Q-Ball and Tarhunnas.

At some point down the road, I hope you guys go for a rematch with whatever is current for patches, etc.

Thanks for doing the extra work of the AAR Tarhunnas. I have learned a lot watching.

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 605
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/6/2011 9:23:10 PM   
Ramses

Thanks for the great AAR Tarhunnas. It used to be one of my first reads during morning tea for a long time. I hope you recover from your combat fatigue...and if not, godspeed to you!

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 606
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/7/2011 4:19:21 PM   
Balou

The moment this AAR came to an end, it was like loosing an old comrade, no joke. And we were very fortunate to watch two intelligent gamers, that may have contributed tons of informations not only to the community but also to the devs. Thanks.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 607
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 9/7/2011 5:12:33 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

The moment this AAR came to an end, it was like loosing an old comrade, no joke. And we were very fortunate to watch two intelligent gamers, that may have contributed tons of informations not only to the community but also to the devs. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to have contributed to the enjoyment of others, but everything has to come to an end...

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 608
RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (n... - 4/3/2012 5:23:23 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Ah yes the glory of WIE! The good ol days are here again!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 609
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Anti Bolshevik Crusade - Tarhunnas vs Q-Ball (no Q-Ball please) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI