Game crashes before loading

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Tzven

Game crashes before loading

Post by Tzven »

I've tried following the other suggestions in the thread with no luck.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

So far no nothing I've done has resulted in successfully loading the game. I've turned .Net 3.5.1 off and on, uninstalled the game, reinstalled.

The error thrown is:
Unhandled Exception

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.--->
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 080040154
and so on.

The error seems to indicate an issue with .Net, but the netfx_setupverifier assures me everything verifies successfully.

The error happens regardless of the compatibility settings.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Tzven

RE: Game crashes before loading

Post by Tzven »

Addendum:

After installing ROTS the following error is thrown when attempting to launch the game:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.5.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d07cec1
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a275e12
Problem Signature 07: 3a97
Problem Signature 08: 394
Problem Signature 09: System.ComponentModel.Win32
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

When using compatibility mode for XP SP2 the following error is thrown:
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Signature 03: 4d07cec1
Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms
Problem Signature 06: 4a275ebd
Problem Signature 07: 199c
Problem Signature 08: 2
Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

I've also rebooted after running sfc /scannow
Data

Post by Data »

Did the game ever worked before and you just see this now? Or it always failed with this error?
welcome to the forum Tzven
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Have you tried the .Net removal and fresh install from the FAQ here

fb.asp?m=2420701

If that doesn't work then it's time to get a help desk ticket from the support section of Matrix games
Data

Post by Data »

Don't know why but that com exception with the class not registered makes me think of a game install problem, not a .NET problem; that's why I wanted to confirm if it ever worked before moving to ROTS.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Tzven

Post by Tzven »

Data:

Thank you, a pleasure to be here [:)]. So far the game hasn't worked at all. A fresh install, without patching, results in the first error. Patching or installing the expansion results in the second.

cookie monster:

I've tried various ways of fixing .Net. Windows 7 uses .Net 2 as a critical system, and .Net 3 can only be activated/deactivated through the "Turn Windows features on or off" in the control panel. I've also tried using sfc /scannow - still no luck.

There is an interesting error in the event viewer: Error 1111 .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_64) - Service reached limit of transient errors. Will shut down. Last error returned from Service Manager: 0x80029c4a.

I suspect this may be the root cause, can you confirm?
Data

Post by Data »

This is a new one but looks particular enough, I'll google for it and let you know if I find something relevant; do you have another Windows where you can setup the game? at least to confirm that the Windows installation is not the actual problem.
princej

Post by princej »

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. The game will not launch , but it ran fine on my older windows 7. The only difference is that this one is a little newer and its an hp with an AMD processor(instead of an intell). Now I've tried all the various versions on this pc and none of them work on it. So I'm guessing it might be the brand perhaps ??
here are the various errors (for each version)
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Signature 03: 4d07cec1 (release version 1.5) 4d134ca3 (first update)
Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
Problem Signature 06: 4a275e83
Problem Signature 07: 7af
Problem Signature 08: 6c
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Problem Signature 02: 1.5.0.8
Problem Signature 03: 4d8d101c (this is with the "latest update")
Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
Problem Signature 06: 4a275e83
Problem Signature 07: 7af
Problem Signature 08: 6c
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Data

Post by Data »

same service pack level on both win7?
you can check the version with winver from the run/command prompt

Edit: just saw the two OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 in your post, I think this clears my question
Data

Post by Data »

have found this, sounds too techno babble at this point but it may be worth a try

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 2b1e6b935/
princej

Post by princej »

yes , all the erros were generated on the same pc. i had no problem running DW with my older windows 7.
Data

Post by Data »

so this could be an install / setup issue with the new win7? any other game / soft that also doesn't work on the new one but works on the old one?
princej

Post by princej »

All my other games/softare work fine so it would appear that its related to the .net 2.0
It is also possible that one of the optional windows updates contain a fix for this.
Data

Post by Data »

never paid much attention to them but they should have a change log so that you can determine this without having to install them.
Tzven

Post by Tzven »

princej, can you run services.msc and see if Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64 or Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86 is running? I'm beginning to suspect that might be the issue - at least for me.

Data: Unfortunately the only other non-work machine is my wife's laptop. I dare not risk her wrath, so I'm not even going to bother trying to install it on there.

I understood your link - trying various things. Will report back later.
Data

Post by Data »

Same here for that wife's laptop part, we are brave 4x emperors [:)]
princej

Post by princej »

Alright , I'll do that and get back with you on it. but I can definately tell you its not a problem with the update as it runs perfectly on my xp with the latest update (it just will not run on my new win7)
princej

Post by princej »

-----problem located ----------------
I have located the problem and fix for our systems. Once I enabled the services, I got the error listed on the left side of the attatched image. Now pay close attention to the right side of the image. Did you notice that something was missing ? To make this short, the font whitch is called in the code on the left is simply not present on our speciffic systems. You can verify on your system this by opening up notepad and attempting to change your font to "verdana" regular.

The Fix

1)You can do like me and grab the font from an older system that you own or get the font from a freinds pc by going to c:\windows\fonts Once you find the font hold down ctl press "C" . You can now paste the file to an external drive and install it to your system by right clicking on the file and clicking install.
2)An alternate more exspensive method is to purchase it : here

I am very happy to report that I am now able to run DWRS with the latest patch but in the process of searching for the answer ran accross some very interesting articles here

Attachments
dwerror.jpg
dwerror.jpg (139.22 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Data

Post by Data »

Wow, good one princej....you could make a mini aar out of this one; you've got the images ready [:)]
glad to hear you're operational again
Tzven

Post by Tzven »

My issue was a little more involved. It seems .Net was damaged, and since it's a core system I couldn't simply reinstall it.

In the end I reinstalled W7 from scratch. Now the game works under XP SP2 Compatibility.

Now to kill off all those damn Darloks...

Return to “Tech Support”