Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/22/2011 9:22:52 AM   
Gil R.

In a few days I'll begin a 2000-mile drive from Arizona to Michigan. I've figured out most of the things and people I'll see along the way, but am unsure about the 10-hour stretch between Santa Fe and Tulsa. Looking at the map it seems there isn't much in the way of must-see tourist spots, of either a natural or historical variety. There are some grasslands to be seen if one gets off the highway, but nothing jumps out at me. Any tips for what I might see and do? If there's something worthwhile I'll do the drive over two days; otherwise, I might just suck it up and do it in one.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Post #: 1
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/23/2011 1:31:07 AM   
HighwayStar

I've been on that road many, many times. First, Santa Fe isn't on I-40. The trip from Albuquerque to the NM-TX line is interesting, but once you hit TX, the landscape is mind-bending boring, as in nothing to see unless you are into giant wind mills. Try not to fall asleep at the wheel. There's Palo Duro Canyon, which is off I-40 SE of Amarillo. Once you get to OK City, there's the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, if you are interested in such things. From there to Tulsa, its a toll road, which for a westerner like me, is literally highway-robbery.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/23/2011 2:47:09 AM   
nelmsm

Palo Duro Canyon is worth the detour if want to take some time off of I-40.  I think the 45th Infantry Division museum is in Oklahoma City also.

Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it.

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/23/2011 2:13:53 PM   
pzgndr

Amarillo, TX also has some other attractions besides Palo Duro:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2220

http://www.bigtexan.com/

http://www.aqha.com/foundation/museum/

And my favorite:

http://www.pantex.com/ 

(in reply to nelmsm)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/23/2011 3:00:05 PM   
Canoerebel

The Oklahoma City bombing memorial is beautiful, moving, and easy to get to.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/26/2011 10:24:58 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I have time for. Incidentally, today while driving through N.M. I visited the museum at White Sands Missile Range, which is quite impressive -- they have 20-30 missiles on display, plus a bunch of interesting displays. (My favorite thing was reading that when Dr. Goddard in 1919 wrote a key article suggesting that multi-stage rockets could be used to reach space the New York Times ran an editorial criticizing him and saying it was common knowledge that action-reaction wouldn't work in a vacuum. The Times retracted the editorial after the moon landing.)

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? - 5/26/2011 1:30:17 PM   
junk2drive

If you happen to see a Giant truck stop, the green chili stew is worth a stop.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT: I-40 sight-seeing tips? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI