From: Beyond Fulda Gap
Hello PC:Ostfront-community here comes my first post.
Please excuse my bad English.
I have pre-ordered and played all Combat Mission games since Beyond Overlord
(CM:BO, CM:BB, CM:AK, CM:SF+Marines+British+NATO, CM:A and now CM:BN -> mostly PBEM (WEGO)).
I'm one of the BFC-'fanboys'that 'holded the line' when CMSF struggled in that cauldron battle against WW2_CMx1'lers after it came out 'to early'.
I never was a classic 'tabletop-board' wargamer in the true sense. The corner I come from is
computer-games (classic Wizardry and SSI AD&D CRPG, X-COM, Jagged Allicance + clones,
Steel Panther Series, Close Combat games)
When the first Panzer Command (Winterstorm?) came out I don't even bothered to
try out the demo, because I knowed at this time, that I would not play it anyway
after I read that the infantry combat model was only 'abecedarian'.
I first heared about PCO on the battlefront forum some weeks ago, and having a
long weekend this last week, I decided to give it a try after I read
the Ostfront Full Feature List.
I bought it straight a way over the download-only option, don't bothered with the demo.
I expected that I would not really like it, just wanted to check it out in full version and give some money to the developers for there effort and enthusiasm.
I was right with this expectation in regards, that PCO is not to be able to hold a candle to CMBN. (CMx2)
The CMx2 engine is much to inovative and now firmly 'grounded' after CMSF.
No chance for Panzer Command-engine to catch up and confront CMx2-engine head on.
But this would be a usesless 'fight'. You can't compare PC:O with the CMx2 engine, it's the wrong playing-field.
So why I don't have shelfed PC:O after trying it out over the last two days and bother to write this post on the PCO-forum?
For the following commends take in to account that I'm still a total noob regarding Panzer Command Ostfront,
(I still struggle to take that Church in the first Boot Camp scenario on easy level).
My observations so far:
- Never judge PC:O against CMx2 - the design philosophy is too different.
- PC:O is the (succesfull) try to optimse and improve CMx1-'playstyle'.
- PC:O trys to take all the good aspects of CMx1+Steel Panthers+Close Combat
- So the games to judge PC:O against are CM:BB and CM:AK (and SP+CC)!!!
- PC:O is 'under the hood' in essence a classic 'old school' wargame for the good or better, not a simulation in the way of CMx2.
- This last point is the 'Sollbruchstelle', that one has to understand in it's full consequence to make a determination if PC:O is 'crap' or a 'gem'.
- PC:O is 'crap' when you expect CMx2.
- PC:O is a true gem, a very deep -even inovative in parts- classic computer wargame, that concentrates on the Platoon Command aspect foremost.
- PC:O concentrates on the aspects BFC left alone, when they pioneered in new CMx2 areas and brings them to perfection.
Points that I realy like about PC:O:
a) deep WEGO rules (reaction phases)
b) exquisite single player campaign game (with awards that have a function in the game-system!!!)
c) very functional map editor (don't have tried it for real till now)
d) Good Quick Battle Generator -> even for Campaigns
e) clear 'game-rules' which are explained in the manual (would not make much sense for CMx2)
f) nice UI, easy to get into
g) Unit statistic, which mean something in context of the 'game-rules' (again not much sense for CMx2)
z) it's an improved CMx1 flair with FULL WW2-OSTFRONT !!!! :]
What I would like to see:
Just some thoughts after playing for two days.
I like to play this game in 'true grog-combat'-mode (trying to stay Alt-TABed in ground view as best as I can)
- Problem is to swith units and selecting spotted enemy units.
- Would be nice is if I could switch through my units and always stay Alt-TABed...
- ...and click enemy units from far or in zoomed view but still stay Alt-Tabed to my own selected unit.
- Option to show the small map as full screen (...and always stay Alt-TABed)
- Alt-key for taking away UI during playback should have the option to function as a permanent on/off switch.
- Give copulas on vehicles a small chance to spot to the rear when buttoned-up?
Many thanks for this game, I'm for shure will stay tuned on for this.
< Message edited by Smaragdadler -- 6/5/2011 2:30:57 PM >